Back to forum.wakfu.com
Almanax 131 Octolliard
Al Howin's Day
The Al Howin festivities get their name from a Dofus-Era farmer. To create a buzz for the annual ...

No flash

[Class Guide] Beginner's Guide to Srams
Community Helper * Member Since 2013-01-13
posté November 29, 2013, 05:10:21 | #1
[Class Guide] Beginner's Guide to Srams Contents:

0.1 Author’s Note
1.0 Introduction to Sram
1.1 Author's Before You Start
1.2 Glossary
2.1 Passives
2.11 Sram to the Bone
2.12 Sram’s Reflex
2.13 Master Stabber
2.14 Look Around You
2.15 Shadow Master
2.2 Actives
2.21 Invisibility
2.22 Shadow Trap
2.23 Scram
2.24 Double
2.25 Diversion
3.0 Air Spells
3.1 Fear
3.2 Tricky Blow
3.3 Forceful Blow
3.4 Guile
3.5 Trauma
3.6 Air Summary
4.0 Water Spells
4.1 Bloody Ripoff
4.2 Swindlesram
4.3 Kleptosram
4.4 Sramshackle
4.5 PettyTheft
4.6 Water Summary
5.0 Fire Spells
5.1 Cold Blood
5.2 First Blood
5.3 Trauma
5.4 Bled Dry
5.5 Execution
5.6 Fire Summary
6.0 Summary

0.1 Author’s note

Hi everyone!

I’d just like to give a little context to what this guide is about and why I’m writing it.

I’ve been playing a Sram for close to a year now, with a few months off to play other characters here and there, and they are by far my favourite class. I’ve met a few people in my time that have struggled to understand a Sram’s play style, and even more who turn their nose up at them. I decided to write a guide on the basic workings of a Sram as an introductory to the class, so those who were thinking of playing them get a better grasp on them. I’ve played all 3 elements, in various combination over the time I’ve been playing my Sram and still change my build up pretty frequently. In fact, writing this guide has actually given me a few ideas for the direction I wanted to take my Sram! I’m hoping that I’ve remained as objective as possible when writing this guide, because I don’t want this to be used as a build guide. I’d like to encourage individual builds and play styles, and would hope this guide is just used as a stepping stone on the way to that. If you have any questions, or I’ve explained something incredibly wrong please let me know! I’m always happy to help and to fix any mistakes I’ve made. For any discussion on builds however, the Sram sub forum might be the best place to go. Please note I’ve tried to keep my wording as casual as possible so that everyone can read and understand it, without feeling uncomfortable by it.

Happy reading everyone!

1.0 Introduction to Sram

A Sram is a melee-only, single target damage dealer. Srams have incredible movement, mediocre to excellent damage (depending on where you hit) and mediocre to low survivability. The Sram’s niche is backstab. Srams are built to be behind a target more than most classes, and due to this they do a lot of damage. A Sram’s damage gets better and better as the fight goes, with various different abilities stacking higher and higher, increasing damage.

1.1 Before You Start

When you first create your Sram, these are the stats it'll have. Its important to know what you have so you can start thinking it all over when reading this guide.

1.2 Glossary

Control: How many summons and mechanisms you can have in play at any one time.

AoE: Area of Effect. When a spell hits more than one cell or target.

BackstabDamage: A bonus to any damage inflicted on the back of a target.

Stack: Same as ‘level’, in regards to abilities. Eg. 4 stacks of Stabber = 4levels of Stabber.

FlavourText: The yellow text often on a spell, often called Spell Description.

Srambush: As pell type that will render the Sram visible, but inflict 100% of the spell’s damage on the target.

Perception: a stat that increases your chances of staying invisible, and/or increases your chances of seeing invisible enemies.

Steal: Takes from the enemy and gives to the Sram.

Hypermovement: WhenMP is removed or stolen from a target, Hypermovement kicks in, adding a resistance to MP loss.

Hyperaction: Much like the above, Hyperaction kicks in when AP is stolen or removed from a target, adding resistance to AP loss.

ShadowyCloak: A state that increases damage, critical hits and dodge for every stack applied to the Sram. It has a maximum level of 100, at which point you also receive a bonus MP. This state does not need to be applied every turn.

Hemorrhage: A state that deals fire damage to a target dependant on the ability’s stack. Its maximum level is 100. This state must be applied every turn in order to keep (and increase) the stack.

2.1 Passives

Passives are part of the Support Branch, and are not spells. They’re abilities that will buff certain stats or states of the Sram and will always be in effect for all combat types.

2.12 Sram to the Bone

This is a passive that largely benefits invisibility builds. The perception will help increase your chances or staying invisible, but will also help you see those who are invisible too. As mentioned above, a Sram starts with 1 Control. The extra 2 Control this passive provides, will only benefit Shadow Trap. Dodge is great for a Sram,as they’re a bit ‘squishy’ to be in close combat all the time.Its usually in a Sram’s best interest to move away from the target if they can.

2.12 Sram Reflex

Because Srams are often stuck in melee range of an enemy, this passive helps them out. When an enemy in melee range casts a spell of any description, on any target, there is a % chance of the Sram moving back one cell and gaining an MP. At max, its a 20% chance. If theSram is the target of the spell, the Sram will move back one cell before the spell hits. Provided the spell was not an AoE in the direction that the Sram moves, the Sram will not take damage or effects from the spell the enemy attempted to cast on them.

2.13 Master Stabber

A Sram’s favourite place is behind an enemy, and this passive just makes that even more appealing. The addition of an extra 40% backstab damage increases the damage done only to the back of the target. It also applies a stack, which at max, gives +5 levels. This stack is called Stabber. For 1 level of Stabber, you receive a 1% damage buff with every hit on the back of a target. Stabber needs to be applied every turn in order to continue its stack, with the maximum number of levels for it being 100.

2.14 Look Around You

This is a passive that makes it easier for the Sram to be able to hit the back of a target, taking advantage of all their backstab bonuses.There is a % chance that with each spell cast on the target by aSram, the target will turn its back to them. When the Sram is successful at turning the target, the target is turned before the spell hits the target, meaning the spell that turned the target will count as a hit from behind.

2.15 Shadow Master

This passive only benefits the Sram when invisible. Hitting a target while invisible increases the chances of Invisibility wearing off. This passive is aimed at helping a Sram keep their invisibility, but only when they attack from behind or the side. At max, the passive provides 100% to staying invisible when attacking from behind, and only 40% when attack from the sides.

2.2 Actives

Active spells are part of the ‘Support’ part branch of a class. This branch is non-elemental and provide the special abilities exclusive to a Sram. Rarely are Actives damage dealing spells. As you assign points to these actives, their spell cost reduces and on a few of them, increase their range.

2.21 Invisibility

This is a bit of a complicated Active, so I’ll be explaining the things mentioned in the flavour text first. When invisible, you will be able to see your Sram, but enemies will not be able to. To tell if you are invisible, you will be slightly transparent compared to the others in the fight. The further away you are from an enemy, the higher your chance is of staying invisible. While invisible, your damage will be reduced by 50%. However, you receive +10% damage for every enemy you are against, except the first one.
Example:Your Sram is versing 3 piwis, and you use Invisibility. You receive-50% damage, but you gain 20% damage because there are 2 additional enemies after the first one.
Some Sram spells contain an ability called ‘Srambush’, which when cast will do 100% of it’s damage on the target, but will render the Sram visible again. You receive,at max, +300 perception, making invisibility easier to keep on, and will gain 200 for each turn, after the first one, while you stay invisible. When you cast Double while under the effects ofInvisibility, your Double will also be invisible.

2.22 Shadow Trap

ShadowTraps are invisible to enemies, but not to your allies. This is where your Control comes in. For every 1 Control, you can place 1 ShadowTrap. The purpose of a Shadow Trap is to increase the Sram’sPerception, which at max is +50. If an enemy steps on the trap however, they will take damage (unmodifiable and dependant on theActive’s level)and lose an MP. When the trap is activated, by aSram, an ally or an enemy, the Sram will gain the WP back that was used to cast it. The range on this spell is not modifiable. The damage dealt by the trap when an enemy steps on it, can only be modified with CMC gear.

2.23 Scram

Due to Sram’s melee-only combat style, movement is crucial, and Scram adds to that. If an enemy is within 6 cells of a Sram, at max, 3MP is gained. If they are 7 cells or more away from the Sram, 5MP is given.This spell can only be cast on the Sram. Using Scram at max increases your Shadowy Cloak stack by 10 levels.

2.24 Double

With this active, you basically summon a clone of yourself. At max level,the Double inflicts 100% of the Sram’s damage, and has access to all the spells on your hot bar. However, the Double does not reflect the AP, MP and WP of the Sram, but instead comes with 6AP, 4MP and3WP at all levels of the active. You control the Double, basically giving you a second turn. As soon as the Double is attacked, by enemy, ally or by the Sram, it will die. However, the Double can receive some damage, like reflect damages, and not die. Only 1 Double can be brought into play at any one time, no matter how many Control the Sram has.

2.25 Diversion

Diversion is an active used to turn the target’s gaze. This is mostly used to the turn the target’s back or side to the Sram in order to do more damage. The spell is shaped in a cross. Targets in the 4 side squares highlighted by the spell’s AoE have (at max) a 60% chance to turn and face the centre square. This spell will not render the Sram visible again if under the effects of Invisibility. The range on this spell is not modifiable.

3.0Air Branch

The Air branch is full of push and pull spells, as well as teleportation. Its mainly built with Invisibility in mind.

3.1 Fear

The main use of this spell is for its ‘push’ ability. When cast on an enemy or ally, the target is pushed back 1 cell from the Sram. If the target cannot move back, they take an extra amount of damage, usually only 1-5HP. The Sram will stay invisible if this spell is cast on an enemy’s side or back. It also gives, at all levels, 2 levels toShadowy Cloak.

3.2 Tricky Blow

This spell is kind of like the opposite of Fear. When cast on an ally,enemy, or empty cell, the Sram is pushed back 1 square from the target. The Sram will remain invisible if this spell is cast on an enemy’s side or back. It will also give, at all levels, 4 levels toShadow Cloak.

3.3 Forceful Blow

When attacking with this spell from behind, extra damage is done according to is spell level.

Example:if the spell is at level 100, it has +30% backstab damage. When using this spell to attack an enemy from behind, you gain +30% backstab damage for the duration of that spell only. The backstab damage kicks in before damage is dealt, and is removed after damage is dealt from that spell. It does not stack.

TheSram stays invisible when attacking an enemy’s side or behind with this spell. It is the most economical in regards to Shadow Cloak,giving 4 levels for 3AP.

3.4 Guile

A staple spell for Srams, Guile gives you the ability to jump/teleport behind a target. The range on this spell is not modifiable. This spell can only be used twice per turn, and for each use, reduces theSram’s entire turn damage by 25%. It may seem like a large reduction, but in conjunction with Shadowy Cloak/Master Stabber the damage is quickly made up. Although the flavour text says you will and behind the target, you will only teleport in a straight line. If the target is facing you side on when you cast it, you will only teleport to their other side. This spell gives 2 levels of ShadowyCloak, and the Sram remains invisible if attacking from behind or the side.

3.5 Trauma

This spell is ideally used in conjunction with Invisibility, like the other Air spells. Trauma is a Srambush spell, meaning it renders theSram visible again upon use. It also triggers Shadowy Cloak. For every 3 levels of Shadowy Cloak, Trauma inflicts 1HP damage(unmodifiable), and for every 20 levels of Shadowy Cloak, pushes the target back 1 cell. At the end of this, the Shadowy Cloak state is consumed, and reverted back to 0 levels.

3.6 Air Summary

TheAir branch is very much built to be used with Invisibility. Air spells (with the inclusion of one Active) are the only spells a Sram has that stack Shadowy Cloak. The general idea with Air, is to buildup your levels of Shadow Cloak as high as you can, then consume them with a final blow from Trauma. That being said though, Air is just as viable an option without Invisibility, and does amazing damage still.Guile is used by most Sram players no matter what element they use,purely for the utility of the teleport.

4.0 Water Branch

Water spells have different abilities depending on whether you hit an enemy’s back or side. This is very much the line if you like the idea of ‘stealing’ enemy’s stats.

4.1 Bloody Ripoff

This spell is a life steal, however, you only gain HP back if you hit the target on it’s side or back. When hitting a target’s side, you will gain 25% of the damage dealt to the target. However, on aCritical Hit you will gain 50% of the damage dealt. When hitting a target’s back, you will gain 50% of the damage dealt to the target.However, on a critical hit you will gain 75% of the damage dealt.

4.2 Swindlesram

In dire cases, Swindlesram comes in use if your chance to dodge is low.This dodge steal spell has a general rule of thumb, the amount of dodge stolen from attacking the target’s back, is twice that of attacking it’s side.

4.3 Kleptosram

Almost identical to Swindlesram, this spell steals Lock making it easier to keep your enemy in place, and also makes it easier to get away. Same rule applies as above, lock stolen from the back is double what you will steal from the side.

4.4 Sramshackle

Just to add to a Sram’s already terrific movability, Sramchackle steals MP. There is a 60% chance of steal an MP from the target when attacking from the side, and 120% when attacking from behind.The back chance is above 100%, because for every MP stolen the target receives Hypermovement. Having 100% does not mean that you will steal an MP 100% of the time!

4.5 Petty Theft

Similar to Sramshackle, this spell steals an enemy’s AP. There is a 60%chance of stealing an AP from the target when you hit it’s side(90% on a crit), and a 120% chance of stealing it when you hit their back (180% on a crit). Stealing AP from a target gives them Hyperaction. This spell can only be used once per turn for the Sram,and once per turn for the Double.

4.6 Water Summary

While all the water spells have a use, the most popular choices seem to beBloody Ripoff and Petty Theft. Being able to ‘self heal’ is a nice perk for Srams that like to fight solo, and on lower level mobs,stealing an AP might also mean the mob won’t be able to attack! The most important thing to remember with Petty Theft and Sramshackle, is to take into account Hypermovement and Hyperaction. Once a target start’s stacking those, it becomes less likely that you’ll be able to steal AP or MP from them, so unless you’re into glass canons, it might not be the best idea to rely on the AP or MP gained from stealing as part of your build.

5.0 FireBranch

Again,this is another elemental branch that has a stacking state. Fire is more directly linked to damaging a target than the other 2 lines, and is also a lot simpler to grasp.

5.1 Cold Blood

This is a pretty simple spell. Cold Blood deals damage and applies level of Hemorrhage.

5.2 First Blood

This spell is built, as its name suggests, to draw the first blood on a target. If this spell is the first hit on a target (not the first hit in a turn, but the first hit it has receive in the entire fight) then it will do more damage and apply stacks of Hemorrhage. If it is not the first hit on a target, then it will deal less damage, and not apply any Hemorrhage.

5.3 Torment

As well as dealing damage, Torment adds 1% damage bonus for every level of Hemorrhage to the attack.

Example:If the target has 20 levels of Hemorrhage and the Sram uses Torment,the spell will receive a 20% damage buff for that attack, and disappear after the attack has cast.

Torment does not consume Hemorrhage, but it does not apply it either. This is a Srambush spell.

5.4 Bled Dry

If this spell is used on a target who has less than 15% life, it will receive a 20% damage buff for the duration of that spell only. This applies every time the spell is used, providing the target has less than 15% of its maximum life. This spell also adds stacks of Hemorrhage.

5.5 Execution

SimilarTorment, for every level of Hemorrhage, Execution receives a 1%damage buff (2% on a crit). The only difference being, this spell consumes all stacks of Hemorrhage, resetting them to zero again. As the name suggests, this spell is designed to be the finishing blow after applying lots of Hemorrhage to a target. This spell is also a Srambush spell.

5.6 Fire Summary

TheFire Branch is a lot more simplistic than the other elemental branches, but it doesn’t make it any less powerful. To get the most out of it, stacking Hemorrhage is your best bet, especially since it does damage every turn as well. If you’re still unsure about how to play a Sram or the mechanics of the game, then the fire branch is probably your best bet for starting out.

6.0 Summary

Srams are one of the last classes that lack synergy in their different elemental branches. This is a good thing and a bad thing. Each elemental branch doesn’t really compliment the other, making hybrid Srams feel a little clumsily put together. Each element is very separate from the other, but that doesn’t mean its necessarily a negative. The higher up in levels you get, the more you’ll notice that equipments are often 2 elements, encouraging hybrid builds. The fact that a Sram’s spells don’t rely on one another gives you a lot more flexibility in build, and in matches.

For example: If you’re an air/fire hybrid and your opponent has high fire resist but low air resist, its simple for you to switch elements and still deal a lot of damage. Other classes aren’t so lucky.

The lack of synergy also encourages a lot of individuality in play style and builds, and is actually a really fun class to mess around with,and learn with. The only problem with a Sram is when they’re stuck in melee range of an enemy. Sram’s lack the resist, life and block of other classes, but if you’re clever with your build you could either choose those stats or make fine use of your incredible movability.

This post has been edited by tashlol - November 29, 2013, 06:13:52.
Reason for edit : Formatting
Community Helper * Member Since 2005-08-28
posté November 29, 2013, 14:38:22 | #2
Excellent guide, could you also talk about the backstab and dodge mechanics.
Could you also talk about invisibility being final damage reductions.

3.3 Forceful Blow
When attacking with this spell from behind, extra damage is done according to is spell level.
Example:if the spell is at level 100, it has +30% backstab damage. When using this spell to attack an enemy from behind, you gain +30% backstab damage for the duration of that spell only. The backstab damage kicks in before damage is dealt, and is removed after damage is dealt from that spell. It does not stack.

Backstab damage is added to elemental damage so in forceful blows case its +30% elemental damage whilst hitting the back on each single cast. As I know there has been much argument over this spell and how it works.

P.S I really like your formatting. After the edits I will remove/shorted this comment.

This post has been edited by JerryDB - November 29, 2013, 14:43:21.
Community Helper * Member Since 2013-01-13
posté November 29, 2013, 22:39:30 | #3

Quote (JerryDB @ 29 November 2013 14:38) *
Excellent guide, could you also talk about the backstab and dodge mechanics.
Could you also talk about invisibility being final damage reductions.

3.3 Forceful Blow

Backstab damage is added to elemental damage so in forceful blows case its +30% elemental damage whilst hitting the back on each single cast. As I know there has been much argument over this spell and how it works.

P.S I really like your formatting. After the edits I will remove/shorted this comment.
Hi Jerry!
Thank you for your kind words. I was really worried that this guide would be a bit of a flop, considering its the first I've ever done.

In regards to discussing backstab and dodge mechanics: I will add dodge to the Glossary section, thats a good idea.

I'd like to keep this guide as basic as possible, and leave it as an introduction to the class. I think expanding on backstab or dodge mechanics would add a little bit too much to that. Though I very much appreciate the idea. I was considering creating an advanced guide to Srams so if I do they will very much be one of the first things I talk about!

Discussing Forceful Blow: Again I think the exact details of this spell are a little advanced for the feeling I was going for. And actually, it may be a bug, but when I was testing out Forceful Blow to see how the damage buff applied, it actually only buffed my 'backstab' stat, not my elemental.

I very much appreciate your comments and your constructive feedback. Its very encouraging and has given me some really good starting points for my next guide.

Thanks again Jerry

PS. No need to ask for your comment to be removed or shortened. I'd like for it to be kept there so that I can see all the feedback I get so it'll help me with my next guide, and show people that there is more to the class than currently what I'm saying