Back to forum.wakfu.com

No flash

Earth/Air Rogue Guide
Short Strich * Member Since 2012-02-03
posté January 28, 2014, 02:39:02 | #1
Earth/Air Rogue Guide Hi guys. I recently returned to Wakfu after a six month break and decided to pick up my old rogue character and respec from fire to earth/air. I wanted to share the details of my current progress and what I've learned as I've built my earth air rogue.

Stats:

I decided to stat 1 AP, 1 range, and 1 MP. I'm now stating initiative up to about 446 (including set initiative bonus) then going crits the rest of the way. Initiative is valuable for raising both your earth and your air damage at the same time using the Initiator bonus. And crits are valuable not only for their high damage but also because they increase the chance that your Air hits can end up nearly free due to returned AP from Rogue Master.

One thing to note is anything above 446 initiative doesn't do you much good (except in PvP maybe) because initiator is capped at 140% damage, which maps out to 467 initiative. So I'm going keep initiative about at 467 max, and if it goes over that because of upgrading to a set with higher init I'll respec and redistribute the extra points from init to crits.

With earth rogue I feel it is very important to stat at least 1 range because your spells are range modifiable. It's nice to be able to hit from a safer distance, and not be quite as crippled if some enemy effect reduces your range a bit.

Earth Spells:

Machine Gun: low priority, useful for hitting in diagonal sometimes when there is nothing else to hit with, or to finish off a wounded enemy using a low AP attack, but if you focus mainly on this spell you aren't gonna be able to kill stuff very effectively and your attack power is going to suck.

Piercing Shot: Brilliant damage, this is gonna be your primary damage spell at mid game when you can get 10 AP for two casts. Personally I'm not there yet, but with 9 AP I can use a combo of one Piercing and one Blam. But until you can get 9 AP or 10 AP this spell is going to be very ineffective because it will use up 5 AP and only leave you with 2 or 3 left over for a pathetic machine gun shot or some other lame low damage attack. But you better level it anyway because you are going to be loving it later.

Cross Fire: Absolutely worthless for all but the rarest occasions where you can't hit something any other way. I wouldn't even bother wasting spell experience on this unless you have nothing else to level. Its better to distribute experience into air spells instead of focusing on levelling this.

Blam: I love this spell. It's meshes well with a tank character like Sac or a Trank, because the character can get two enemies locked on them, and then the rogue can cast Blam to damage both of the enemies at once. Additionally if someone is tanking a monster it is possible to hide behind them and use Blam to shoot "around" the tank and hit the monster on the far side of the tank. When it is possible to hit multiple enemies this spell gives you way more damage per AP spent than anything else. And if you only have 8 AP like most beginners then two casts of Blam is your most efficient killing combo. Level this early, and as high as you can.

Pulsar: Good spell. It's great for taking stuff out with one impressively high shot, and if you cast Fusilade State and end up left with just tons of MP on the next turn you can use this to deal some nice damage with nothing but MP.

Air:

Slap Shot: Almost worthless. I wouldn't bother with this.

Roguery: Worthless. As earth rogue you don't want to get near your enemies, you want them away from you.

Boomerang Arrow: Brilliant spell. Sometimes your allies are noobs and block your Piercing Shot LoS and/or get in locations where they make it impossible to Blam an enemy without hitting them too. Boomerang Arrow is your friend here. Additionally Boomerang Arrow can do some insanely high damage in certain situations where you can exploit its strange AoE to hit multiple enemies. This works best if you and your allies plan well and position yourselves in such a way that when monsters come to fight in CC they end up standing on the arc AoE of your Boomerang Arrow. This is easier to do than you might think. Just place three characters or MM in a pattern like this:

P = tanking player locations
X = where you should stand
M = the monsters that will probably come to attack the tanks and stand right where you want them to be for your Boomerang Arrow.

Hitting four or five monsters at once is beautiful!

Barbecued Ribs: Worthless waste of a WP better spend elsewhere.

Longsword: Best spell ever. It's super expensive but when a nasty enemy gets up in your face, you can deal a huge hit to it while pushing it away one tile so that it can be hit with your earth spells. One combo that is nice when an enemy gets up in your face is one Longsword + Pulsar to deal a death blow using all your MP and leftover AP. Additionally sometimes when enemies line up its effective to run into CC and Longsword them to hit three at once with high damage.

Fire:

All spells worthless for an earth/air build. Maybe level a couple a little bit for the resistances eventually, but other than that not worth it.

Skills:

Surprise Shot: Level this first, all the way, its amazing. It's important to note that it is 40% chance of getting a surprise shot per attack, so often times its more effective to do multiple attacks per turn to increase the chances of getting at least one surprise shot rather than entrust all your AP and MP on one single pulsar and then not end up with a Surprise Shot on that expensive spell. Much better to cast two Blam and get a surprise shot on one for example.

Initiator: Second thing I leveled. Nice to have that bit of extra damage from it, and for a hybrid build like we are making it allows you to raise both of your primary damage elements at once using initiative.

Rogue Master: Some extra init that plays nicely with Initiator, and a chance to get AP back for every Air hit? Yes please! There is nothing more fun than doing a Longsword hit, then finding that you hit the jackpot and got 3 AP back and still have enough AP for a piercing shot. One thing to note is you should use an air spell early, if possible as the first thing you do, because that way if you get returned AP you can make the optimal use of it along with the rest of your AP. If you cast the air spell as the last spell and end up with a few AP returned you might have nothing to do with it except for a lame Slap Shot or Machine Gun.

Magnetic Claw: This spell is great when fully leveled but worthless at low levels because of the high cost. Eventually you need it to get stuff away from you when needed or to move an ally. A longsword + a magnetic claw can put two spaces (or three if you are lucky with a Longsword crit) between you and your foe, and then you can still use your MP to run away. This has saved my life before in some fights.

Equipment:

The build that I went with basically just used random crappy gear from the markets that had decent earth/air/init until level 67 when I could equip full Ancestral Treechnid Set + Goultard. This set gives you an MP and an AP from Treechnid, and Goultard gives you an AP. You also have the AP and MP from stats, so I'm now level 71 with 9 AP, 5 MP, and over 200 earth damage, and around 190 air damage. It's a really fun build.

I'm shooting for level 91 and whispering set now, which is when I think my earth/air build is really going to start taking off. I'm also working on a decent way to get 10 AP for two piercing shots, which is should be fun and very deadly. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress and tips from other experienced players are always welcome.

Update Feb 20, 2014:

I'm level 99 now, and got my 10 AP build working quite nicely with the following items: Whispering Set, Gobbsage String, Kraken Eps, The Alphabet Agama, Ancestral Boots and Ring, and Lego Lars Bow. Lego Lar's Bow is an extremely nice AP weapon upgrade when you outgrow Goultard. On Nox it is fairly affordable, only 30,000 - 40,000 in the market when I was buying.

Here is how my stats and spells are shaping up:

As you can see from my spells I have fully leveled all the main specialty skills for earth/air rogue. I'm leveling boombot now. So far I haven't had much use for it, but I figure it will be useful as a distraction in tough dungeons, and for its AoE ability to extend Earth rogue shots.

This post has been edited by Mishna - March 17, 2014, 23:35:25.
Narcissistic Larva * Member Since 2013-08-29
posté January 28, 2014, 08:07:46 | #2
I'm doing almost the exact same build and it's great. I chose to aim for Ratical gear after my ancestral tree set. It opens me up to a free amulet slot letting me equip Ratagain amulet at lv89, an AP amulet with no negative stats. Combine that with either a satisfaction ring or an AP weapon and that's 10 AP.

posté January 28, 2014, 20:25:17 | #3
Thanks for the idea to use Ratagain Amulet. I don't think I'll use Ratical gear though because it gives less stats per equipment slot (5 slots for full Ratical Set versus 4 slots for full Whisper Set), especially when it comes to resists and initiative. For a rogue that 85 init from full Whispering Set is another 25% damage.

I think a better solution is maybe something like full Whisper Set + Ratical Boots because that will result in filling those 5 slots with a total of 120% earth and air damage, compared with only 90% earth and air damage if you used full Ratical Set.

Ratical Set might be better if you focus a lot on backstab though, I guess. Personally I'm not a big Roguery user though.

This post has been edited by Mishna - January 28, 2014, 20:25:51.
posté January 29, 2014, 08:36:49 | #4

Quote (Mishna @ 28 January 2014 20:25) *
Thanks for the idea to use Ratagain Amulet. I don't think I'll use Ratical gear though because it gives less stats per equipment slot (5 slots for full Ratical Set versus 4 slots for full Whisper Set), especially when it comes to resists and initiative. For a rogue that 85 init from full Whispering Set is another 25% damage.

I think a better solution is maybe something like full Whisper Set + Ratical Boots because that will result in filling those 5 slots with a total of 120% earth and air damage, compared with only 90% earth and air damage if you used full Ratical Set.

Ratical Set might be better if you focus a lot on backstab though, I guess. Personally I'm not a big Roguery user though.
I'm not quite at the level for whisper gear yet so that's why I'm running ratical. I would highly recommend hunting down a ratical set if you feel your damage is lacking a bit before you pick up whisper. Having just equipped it at lv83 I'm sitting at about 250 damage in both elements. I did also pick it because I tend to backstab a lot. Whenever anything has a high earth resist I usually Roguery>Longsword>Pulsar/Piercing(if i have enough AP back). This can do amazing damage with the backstab bonus. When I gain a few more levels I will start hunting down a whisper set though.

Ugly Gobball * Member Since 2012-02-20
posté January 29, 2014, 18:42:14 | #5
I am currently leveling this build and im having a great time but i have been mostly leveling with friends(i am lvl 28 currently) and right now im having trouble figuring where i need to level solo if u have any suggestions on where i can level that would be nice also i will have my astrub knight and trank with me as well thanks in advance

posté January 30, 2014, 15:28:29 | #6
At level 28 I was mostly solo leveling on gobbals and bliblis still. Solo leveling is horribly slow in this game (and in Dofus), especially since MM don't seem to actually add to your experience rate like fighting with another real player does.

Narcissistic Larva * Member Since 2011-05-21
posté February 12, 2014, 20:59:47 | #7
So what gear would you use before getting to the proper sets? I guess you don't remember since you were vague about the item, so I'll presume you didn't use many sets.
Any items that spring to mind that can be used from about lv 20-30?

posté February 12, 2014, 23:35:04 | #8
I used gobbal set until 35 when I could equip royal gobbal. After that I got my hands on an ancestral tree set, which was my first earth/air set. I mostly relied on my earth spells at low levels until I got ancestral tree.

Narcissistic Larva * Member Since 2011-05-21
posté February 13, 2014, 00:36:58 | #9
ty

Grizzled Dandelion * Member Since 2013-09-10
posté February 13, 2014, 16:39:11 | #10

Quote (Mishna @ 28 January 2014 02:39) *

Slap Shot: Almost worthless. I wouldn't bother with this.

Roguery: Worthless. As earth rogue you don't want to get near your enemies, you want them away from you.

Boomerang Arrow: Brilliant spell. Sometimes your allies are noobs and block your Piercing Shot LoS and/or get in locations where they make it impossible to Blam an enemy without hitting them too. Boomerang Arrow is your friend here. Additionally Boomerang Arrow can do some insanely high damage in certain situations where you can exploit its strange AoE to hit multiple enemies. This works best if you and your allies plan well and position yourselves in such a way that when monsters come to fight in CC they end up standing on the arc AoE of your Boomerang Arrow. This is easier to do than you might think. Just place three characters or MM in a pattern like this:

P = tanking player locations
X = where you should stand
M = the monsters that will probably come to attack the tanks and stand right where you want them to be for your Boomerang Arrow.

Hitting four or five monsters at once is beautiful!

Barbecued Ribs: Worthless waste of a WP better spend elsewhere.

Longsword: Best spell ever. It's super expensive but when a nasty enemy gets up in your face, you can deal a huge hit to it while pushing it away one tile so that it can be hit with your earth spells. One combo that is nice when an enemy gets up in your face is one Longsword + Pulsar to deal a death blow using all your MP and leftover AP. Additionally sometimes when enemies line up its effective to run into CC and Longsword them to hit three at once with high damage.

I'm not sure how you can call Slap Shot "Almost worthless"

I would say there are two ways you could go, Slap Shot, OR Longsword.

What if you have 5ap? or 4ap? or 3, or 2 or 1. Well then Longsword is useless and Slap Shot is quite viable.

And the ap = damage ratio when comparing Slap Shot to Longsword is almost identical. Longsword only being slightly above Slap Shot by around 6 at lvl 200. (But at level 200, 6 damage is splitting hairs)

Longsword is linear aoe which is nice, however you can also damage an ally. Its able to push you back or push back an enemy on a CH. However there may be an undesirable tile behind you... It also is only usable when you have 6ap, so if you have less than that, well use something else.

However, what if you have 7 or 8ap? You could have a maxed Slap Shot and and attack 8, 9 or 10 times bc of the ap buff, OR you could use Longsword, maybe get an ap back and then have nothing to do with it.

In my opinion, its foolish to lvl Boomerang AND Longsword. You should choose one and then level Slap Shot as well. The availability for combos is much greater with Slap Shot than Longsword and Boomerang.

Just my two cents. No build is right or wrong. XD

Happy playing!

posté February 20, 2014, 21:02:34 | #11
Bump because I just updated the first post with a progress report and sharing my stats and spell build.

I'm not sure how you can call Slap Shot "Almost worthless"

I see what you are saying, and it definitely makes sense. Personally my build is designed to maximize AoE damage and avoid close quarters confrontation, though.

I prefer Boomerang Daggers, along with Blam and Longsword because I like to hit multiple enemies whenever possible. The advantage of this is that you get more damage per AP with these AoE spells than any single target spell can dish out.

The second aspect of my playstyle is to avoid CC confrontation whenever possible. Earth Rogue needs one space at minimum between character and enemy, so in those cases you have an option of using either Magnetic Claw to get an enemy back one tile for a hit, or use Longsword to deal damage, get a chance of getting AP back, and one or two tiles between me and the enemy. I will often get at least 1 AP back when using Longsword. With a 10 AP character that allows me to cast Longsword and Piercing in the same turn.

So I say Slap Shot is useless mostly because its doesn't have as much utility for me. It can't do high damage against numerous enemies like Slapshot or Longsword does, and it doesn't put space between you and enemies like Longsword does. Pretty much the only thing its good for is attacking monsters in situations where you want to trigger a state 10-12 times, for example when fighting Whispered Cracklers you can spam Slap Shot 12 times to dramatically lower resistances in earth. I use it all the time there, but in other situations I find the AoE damage and distance spells to be more valuable.

This post has been edited by Mishna - February 20, 2014, 21:17:51.
Ugly Gobball * Member Since 2014-02-17
posté February 21, 2014, 20:48:13 | #12

Quote (Mishna @ 20 February 2014 21:02) *
Bump because I just updated the first post with a progress report and sharing my stats and spell build.
Excuse me what did you choose as a pet? What's the best Multiman for this build?

posté February 21, 2014, 21:23:27 | #13

Quote (Ralthen @ 21 February 2014 20:48) *

Quote (Mishna @ 20 February 2014 21:02) *
Excuse me what did you choose as a pet? What's the best Multiman for this build?
There are plenty of pets to choose from it depends on what you want. Stripped bow meow for more initiative. Young wild sow for air/initiative. Krackote pet for earth/initiative.

For multimen its also about what you want. Do you want heals, close combat damage, range damage, extra range and AP? I would recommend you read their descriptions and find one that sounds good to you.

Although from running into Artemish a few times in game I believe she chose the Krackote pet.

posté February 22, 2014, 01:17:01 | #14
I'm actually using a clawbot at the moment. I'm probably going to get a Krakotte eventually, but for now I'm liking clawbot because it has 15% damage, 15% resists, and +50 HP. So the damage isn't as high as with the Krakotte, but it is more balanced in both earth and air instead of being so earth heavy like Krakotte is, and those resistances are very nice for higher level content.

If I get a Krakotte I'll probably wear it against earth vulnerable enemies, but much of the time when fighting higher level stuff I need to use both earth and air spells to damage monsters that have strong earth resistance, so having balanced air damage is nice.

Eccentric Moogrr * Member Since 2013-04-09
posté February 23, 2014, 01:17:18 | #15
just pointing out you said striped bow meow for Init...thats the hp pet, you meant angora bow meow BTW

posté February 23, 2014, 15:23:07 | #16

Quote (McGrammer @ 21 February 2014 21:23) *

For multimen its also about what you want. Do you want heals, close combat damage, range damage, extra range and AP? I would recommend you read their descriptions and find one that sounds good to you.
As for pets i'm looking for the one who can help me the most under normal circumstances, I think that the Krakotte and Lumino will be better for a standard setup. What did you wear from level 50+ to 67? I have my ancestral set ready but i'm still wearing an old gobball set.

This post has been edited by Ralthen - February 23, 2014, 15:23:30.
posté February 24, 2014, 22:22:01 | #17

Quote (lyricalglitchen @ 23 February 2014 01:17) *
just pointing out you said striped bow meow for Init...thats the hp pet, you meant angora bow meow BTW

yeah my bad

posté February 25, 2014, 07:10:45 | #18

What did you wear from level 50+ to 67?

I just wore whatever random generic damage stuff I could find in the market. The only thing I used that was special was Goultard, for 8 AP and two casts of Blam or Boomerang Daggers. At that level you can level up so fast that it really isn't worth investing in an expensive set (in my opinion at least).

posté February 25, 2014, 11:11:09 | #19

Quote (Mishna @ 25 February 2014 07:10) *

What did you wear from level 50+ to 67?

I just wore whatever random generic damage stuff I could find in the market. The only thing I used that was special was Goultard, for 8 AP and two casts of Blam or Boomerang Daggers. At that level you can level up so fast that it really isn't worth investing in an expensive set (in my opinion at least).
Thanks and at 67 what did you wear in the shoulders, ring2 and belt slots? I cannot find good items.

posté February 25, 2014, 20:32:34 | #20
I wore Beltrool, Epaulinas, Ring O'Stradamus (later Hoodfella Ring).