Back to forum.wakfu.com

By continuing to browse this website, you consent to the use of cookies, which enable us to offer you customised content and to collect site-visit statistics.
Click on this link for more information on cookies, and to customise your cookie preferences. X

No flash

What’s coming next in WAKFU?
Producer & Lead Game Designer * Member Since 2009-09-18
posté July 16, 2013, 14:30:01 | #1
What’s coming next in WAKFU? Azael tells you about the state of the game and the development planning for the second half of 2013…

Hello everyone!

We already reached the middle of 2013 and it’s now time to look at what’s coming for the rest of the year. And I can tell you that we have many things to talk about!

Before going in the details of each patch, I wanted to explain the direction we will follow until the end of the year, which might help you better understand some of our decisions.

Classes and GvG

First, we know that classes are the heart of WAKFU and that the expectations are very high. Let it be said, it’s our number one priority!

Concretely, we will not implement any new feature before revamping the classes and the content will be very limited as long as we didn’t stabilize balancing

That’s why we will postpone the GvG content to the end of the year, and each patch will now include a class revamp. We think it would make little sense to implement a PvP system without having first stabilized combats (stats, lock, velocity) and classes. On the other hand, we don’t want to implement more than one class revamp per patch, in order to put as much care as possible into each class.

Now, here’s the planning for classes:
  • July: Xelor
  • August: Eniripsa
  • October: Foggernaut
  • November: Pandawa
  • December: Sram
  • January 2014: Feca

Something else that was already mentioned, and still planned for the July update: spells balanced up to level 200

We think this is a most important mechanic that should allow for better and more coherent basis in terms of character evolution, and finally offer a real possibility of Multi Element builds.

Community and Devblogs

I wanted to talk about our communication towards you.

We will try to provide our Devblogs ealier and give you a chance to participate more in some of our choices.

A devblog should open the communication between us, and we want to use them to take your feedback into account before a patch is released, and be more reactive after the update.

Don’t forget that a devblog is a design proposition that can very much evolve with your feedback!

More focus on the basics of the game

As important as class balance is the improvement of the basics that make WAKFU a unique experience in the gaming industry. I of course mean politics, ecosystem and combat.

I won’t announce huge revamps, but I can tell you that each patch will include modifications of some of the rules to strengthen these features and help them evolve later.

Why now?

It’s nothing sudden and we’ve been working on these features for a while already, but you will only start to notice the changes now.

WAKFU has been under development for many years already and it was necessary to establish a picture of what works and what needs improving, while still taking your feedback into account, as well as technical limitations and of course, the planning!

Many rules will be modified until the end of the year, such as citizenship points, non-aggro state, maximum AP and MP, velocity, etc…

Each patch will see its share of small changes that should reinforce the basics of the game and of course each of these modifications will be explained and adapted with your feedback.

The beginning of the game

We will also revamp an aspect that is maybe less impacting for you, but just as important: Incarnam and Astrub.

WAKFU is a very peculiar and unique game and we want to make sure that the first steps give a real idea of what a subscriber could get access to.

This revamp will also simplify the access to professions, feature a complete overhaul of the geography of Astrub, as well as a complete narration aspect to better introduce the main quest.

This revamp is also part of the main problematic of this year: strengthening the basics to better shape the future of the game, and particularly the next part of Mount Zinit.

Professions

We adapted the planning based on our priorities, your expectations and production schedule, but there is one point that still needs to be discussed: crafting.

This is one of the aspects of the game that we would really like to revamp, but the current planning will not allow it without risks for other contents.

We know that many of you are eagerly waiting for this, and we’re still looking into the best solutions to implement it.

Some equipment rules as well as the revamp of the tutorial and other modifications will allow for a better game experience.

We will try our best to implement this awaited profession revamp, but I cannot guarantee that it will be done this year.

This is the only point on our planning that isn’t fixed yet.

Haven Worlds

Our goal is to implement 8 Haven World with each update and even more in December to reach 120 Haven Worlds at the end of the year.

Each patch will also include new buildings, appearance and ground packs as well as many new decorations until the end of the year!

More advanced content

After Wabbit Island (in August) we will implement 2 new dungeons per patch.

The goal is to implement less content in order to focus more on the tactical aspect and balancing of our existing monsters and dungeons.

We would like to involve you in some decisions regarding the content to implement, and maybe let you vote for the adventure island you’d like to see improved.

We will add a main quest, dungeons, etc… Those of you who think that Kelba or Forfut are too empty, now is the time to be heard.

As requested by some players we will also try to publish a “step by step” article about the development of the island, allowing you to see the evolution and maybe even participate…

Finally we will also use this time to correct the bugged content, instead of trying to rush new content.

Ultimate bosses

After the Dragon Pig setback we decided to focus on its comeback and therefore canceled the Big Sandhill that was originally planned for July.

Ultimate Bosses constitute Elite high level content and we want to first focus on the classes before implementing a new UB.

Conclusion

That should be it for our mid-year roadmap. I hope I was able to explain clearly our mid-term objectives (for the end of the year). I didn’t give much detail for now but you will find an updated version of the roadmap here.

As you will see, there will be no update in September. But don’t worry, the update will be released in beginning of October, and all following updates should take place at the beginning of the month as well.

And since I didn’t spoil much this time, I’ll give you the date of the July update: July 30

I’ll come back to you after each update with an information letter to give you an overview of the state of the game (I’ll try to make it shorter next time&hellip.

And here’s a detailed list of the content of the July update:
  • Max level increased to 125
  • Xelor revamp and Stasis branch of the Foggernaut rebalanced
  • Haven Worlds:
    • Addition of the option to move a building
    • 8 new Haven Worlds on each server
    • Addition of Bilbyza themed decorations
    • Addition of an “Arena” building
  • New island: Bilbyza (80-100)
  • Trool Fair:
    • Rebalancing of the access to rewards
    • Addition of 2 minigames
    • Rewards added
  • Rules of the game:
    • Improvement of Citizenship Points loss
    • Improvement of the Non-Aggro state
    • Spells balanced up to level 200
    • New “Relic” items
    • Limitation to a maximum of AP/MP
    • Willpower and Perception no longer increasable with ability points
  • Frigost:
    • Rebalancing of the families, experience gained and sets
  • New world map
  • Professions modification:
    • Addition of the keys to be crafted by Handymen
    • Gathering professions automatically learned for new characters.

Aza.

posté July 16, 2013, 14:52:11 | #2

Now, here’s the planning for classes:
July: Xelor
August: Eniripsa
October: Foggernaut
November: Sram
December: Feca
Merry Christmas Feca. :3

This post has been edited by Axxort - July 16, 2013, 14:52:35.
posté July 16, 2013, 15:01:06 | #3
And what's about panda revamp? I don't see this one on list and i'm curious because I'm playing with this one too.

Wilder than Wild Dragoturkey * Member Since 2008-05-13
posté July 16, 2013, 15:02:07 | #4
AP and MP should be limited depending on the class with a different cap, as every class has a different kind of Gameplay. Did you make sure that Fusillade is still going to work after patch?

This post has been edited by Niddhoggy - July 16, 2013, 15:02:33.
posté July 16, 2013, 15:09:33 | #5
For some reason i wanted to type this post in capslock so show how happy i am from reading this news but ill try to keep it civilized.

OMG WHOOOOOT ENI REVAMP, MOVING BUILDINGS, JELLY BUILDINGS, ^o^

I also think its wonderful that you are looking at the main aspects of the game and how to improve those further yet am a little bit disappointed you don't tell anything about the nation revamps and if we can expect those this year.

This post has been edited by ThyHolyOverlord - July 16, 2013, 15:10:02.
Bellaphone Lover * Member Since 2011-07-19
posté July 16, 2013, 15:10:43 | #6
New “Relic” items

yay! we need even MOAR rare items!

Grizzled Dandelion * Member Since 2012-02-18
posté July 16, 2013, 15:13:40 | #7
Sounds good.

Ugly Gobball * Member Since 2011-08-03
posté July 16, 2013, 15:14:32 | #8

Quote (Calleen @ 16 July 2013 15:01) *
And what's about panda revamp? I don't see this one on list and i'm curious because I'm playing with this one too.
I see where you're coming from, but I don't know if you noticed (I did and am hopeful) But September wasn't mentioned in this post, maybe Pandas will fall under September, lets hope :3

Overweighted Chafer * Member Since 2008-04-20
posté July 16, 2013, 15:23:39 | #9

It can mean it won't be revamped or it will at next year.

Also,with that change on willpower,will the equipment which increases it give more?

This post has been edited by Maxiliano - July 16, 2013, 15:25:08.
posté July 16, 2013, 15:31:19 | #10

Quote (Absoluukable @ 16 July 2013 15:14) *

I see where you're coming from, but I don't know if you noticed (I did and am hopeful) But September wasn't mentioned in this post, maybe Pandas will fall under September, lets hope :3
"As you will see, there will be no update in September. But don’t worry, the update will be released in beginning of October, and all following updates should take place at the beginning of the month as well."
So it's impossible to give panda's revamp in September

posté July 16, 2013, 15:41:56 | #11
When will air iops get some love? Air iops have no range at all, apply no states with their spells and their damage doesn't compare to most of the classes at all now :/

posté July 16, 2013, 15:43:12 | #12
Sounds very good and promising at one hand. At other hand, you make us quite disappointed with all those postponements.. First version of the Roadmap was so exciting and tasty. Also, you've been doing THREE class revamps per patch.. Those revamps weren't bad at all, (exclude the sacriers and cras, imo, it was terrible and stays as it is) and now you're planning to go just for one class per month.. Well, maybe it's more good than bad, I just was too excited about all that promised new content.

I'd like to point out my highest hopes here.

-
Spells balanced up to level 200
-
Non-aggro state
- Craft re-revamp
- Bilbyza - yaaay!!
-
Trool fair
- "Finally we will also use this time to correct the bugged content, instead of trying to rush new content." -
HOLY FUCKING SHIT YES YES THANK YOU FINALLYYYY.

What I'm most bothered about (it makes me really nervous):

- Limitation to a maximum of AP/MP - wasn't there some sort of 12 AP limit? This number is already hard to reach (I talk about penalties), what's the point of this new limitation. It sounds like upcoming huge and frustrating nerf.
- Frigost: Rebalancing of the families, experience gained and sets -- does it mean you're going to nerf the experience? Now it's the only way to level up our 110+ characters.
- Panda revamp. Where the hell is it?? I can't wait for it. ;_;

My conclusion: more good than bad, you're finally stepping on the right way I presume.

This post has been edited by Seguchi-sama - July 16, 2013, 15:46:59.
posté July 16, 2013, 15:54:39 | #13
I had a long post about the possible good and bad things mentioned in this road map. I decided to delete it, and keep this simple.

Ankama: Fix the game and be quick about it. Please admit Wakfu has essentially been in a paid beta since release.

Hopefully this happens before I decide I've had enough and simply play another game instead. Wakfu is the genre of game i want to play when i'm online. The constant removal and changes to existing features is getting to be too much.

Ancient Eradicator * Member Since 2008-06-09
posté July 16, 2013, 15:56:03 | #14
My Proposal on the Revamps for the Adventure Islands:

Sadida Kingdom:

Move Lunar Alter to the first area of the island since that is where the normal wolves are.

Move Arachnoshima Dungeon to the second area of the island since that is where the radioactive spiders are located.

Add a third dungeon to the second part of the island that focuses on the wereboowolves.

Does not need any more families since it has three already.

Add a story, preferably dealing with the royal family.

Kelba:

The island needs a complete revamp, particularly a more dark forest theme.

Should add two more family groups. The first one should be bworks, which will be higher than crows, and a dungeon for them with a Bwork Chieftain as the boss. The second family should be Dark Treechnids, being higher level than the bworks, and should have the Soft Oak as its dungeon boss.

Needs a story, maybe more lore about the Black Crow.

Monk Island:

Needs a third family, preferably something that has to do with the afterlife such as ghosts, angels, or demons and higher level than the monks, and a dungeon for them. Demons probably would be the best option. Or you can add all three families, with a dungeon for each, to have 5 families on the island. But that might be a bit too much.

Have the rats on the trail, the monks on the first big open area and the new family on the second wide open area.

A story, preferably something about the afterlife.

Forfut:

The bats need a dungeon.

The island needs a third family, something such as add the vampires that were found in Dofus. You can easily add this family without changing the outer appearance of the island by adding Crypts. Make them higher level than the ghouls. Vampires will work perfectly with the Forfut theme, and there will be actual vampires there instead of just Vampyro, a fake vampire. Add a dungeon for them. They should preferably have steal hp attacks, and the full boss set could have a steal hp% effect instead of an AP. Something like steal 10-15% of the hp that you deal.

Story should focus on an undead theme.

This post has been edited by GodIsWithUs - July 16, 2013, 16:01:56.
Grizzled Dandelion * Member Since 2009-04-12
posté July 16, 2013, 16:03:12 | #15

Quote (GodIsWithUs @ 16 July 2013 15:56) *
My Proposal on the Revamps for the Adventure Islands:

Sadida Kingdom:

Move Lunar Alter to the first area of the island since that is where the normal wolves are.

Move Arachnoshima Dungeon to the second area of the island since that is where the radioactive spiders are located.

Add a third dungeon to the second part of the island that focuses on the wereboowolves.

Does not need any more families since it has three already.

Add a story, preferably dealing with the royal family.

Kelba:

The island needs a complete revamp, particularly a more dark forest theme.

Should add two more family groups. The first one should be bworks, which will be higher than crows, and a dungeon for them with a Bwork Chieftain as the boss. The second family should be Dark Treechnids, being higher level than the bworks, and should have the Soft Oak as its dungeon boss.

Needs a story, maybe more lore about the Black Crow.

Monk Island:

Needs a third family, preferably something that has to do with the afterlife such as ghosts, angels, or demons and higher level than the monks, and a dungeon for them. Demons probably would be the best option. Or you can add all three families, with a dungeon for each, to have 5 families on the island. But that might be a bit too much.

Have the rats on the trail, the monks on the first big open area and the new family on the second wide open area.

A story, preferably something about the afterlife.

Forfut:

The bats need a dungeon.

The island needs a third family, something such as add the vampires that were found in Dofus. You can easily add this family without changing the outer appearance of the island by adding Crypts. Make them higher level than the ghouls. Vampires will work perfectly with the Forfut theme, and there will be actual vampires there instead of just Vampyro, a fake vampire. Add a dungeon for them. They should preferably have steal hp attacks, and the full boss set could have a steal hp% effect instead of an AP. Something like steal 10-15% of the hp that you deal.

Story should focus on an undead theme.
What he said. ^

Community Helper * Member Since 2005-08-28
posté July 16, 2013, 16:06:41 | #16

If you would a list of changes where it would be wise to copy Dofus I can provide with the ones that work such a re-connect system. If we wanted to play Dofus we would. Examples of failing copied heal resistance, economy.
Now I made my main point , Now thats sounds like the Wakfu I originally read about in the dev blogs back in the day.

I wish you the best of luck.

A tip please can Grou talk to the players who have been playing the classes for over a year instead of just doing random stuff and reducing damages. As people quit over such changes very easy and the reason why is you destroy what they found fun and usually give them shit in return.

I hope I will be able to go some firework shows again and my stasis fogger survives.

This post has been edited by JerryDB - July 16, 2013, 16:21:15.
posté July 16, 2013, 16:13:33 | #17
The hell,
The reason i return to the game is PVP(Guild Vs Guild) content and some promises on your road map.
people trust you guys, i really hope that you guys dont destroy your promises.constructive comment dont put date next time.
Another thing is maybe im hoping for a server merge,but because of this changes and other shit,server merge is really imposible. how can you merge a servers if there are guilds owning each haven worlds.And if the server merge will happened, for sure there will be Haven World conflict.
Server Community is a bit small, almost same person everyday. Endorse this game !!

Goodluck Ankama

This post has been edited by Masterof69 - July 16, 2013, 16:18:56.
Lazy Bow Meow * Member Since 2013-06-16
posté July 16, 2013, 16:19:19 | #18
Any love for the sadidas?

posté July 16, 2013, 16:25:05 | #19
First of all i like that your doing most of these things. Secondly Yes on going back and revamping or polishing islands. I made a big thread about revamping islands a few months ago because i know you guys talked about it last year when you did calamar and if i remember correctly from my thread most people were in favor of you redoing old islands to bring them up to snuff. i mean look at lords pasture.... that has so much potential and yes a lot of godiswithus ideas are really good and i hope stuff like that happens.
You yourself have said that whisper and frigost will be a good measure of islands from now on and im hoping bibliza will just as impressive as frigost was. I say go back and do some of that to the older islands i mean your doing a whole nation revamp with all the landscape changing why not do the old islands at the same time if possible.
In conclusion yes please revamp the other islands. Also lv cap of 150 at december.... T-T getting from 110 to 120 took like 2 months though i suppose ill get there one day.

Nun Shall Pass * Member Since 2012-01-05
posté July 16, 2013, 16:27:51 | #20
I am always happy to see proper balancing approaches, but I find it to be a bit funny that you act like this is a step forward. In the original Roadmap it was promised that the class revamps would be long done at this point of time and you could focus on all the new content and such that is now getting pushed into next year. At least have the balls to admit you were way off with your planning.

Also, why would you be pushing half assed class revamps now? The game is raising its level cap without taking into consideration what that actually means in terms of gameplay.

Sure, spell lvl cap raise to 200 is a first step. Much more important however is the question about passive and active specialities. Like it is now every character will simply have all of these maxed by level 200, thus giving no distinction in builds anymore and making the game friggin' boring.

Sure you anticipated this and have planned to add more passive to the game. So why would you not combine that with a class revamp?

As it is now I see 2 choices:

1) We really get to keep the 10 special skills till lvl200 and every character of a class will be a clone of the next one

2) You will have to make yet another revamp of all 14 classes next year and yet again you won't be able to push forward the actual content you had planned.

Some commenting on this would be really appreciated.

The same goes for crafting professions btw. If you revamp them do it considering lvl200 content. A lvl100 imperial craft will not be worth a penny anymore once lvl200 content is implemented and I am sure you won't just stop developing professions after lvl100, now will you?