Back to forum.wakfu.com

By continuing to browse this website, you consent to the use of cookies, which enable us to offer you customised content and to collect site-visit statistics.
Click on this link for more information on cookies, and to customise your cookie preferences. X

No flash

WAKFU in Closed Beta on Steam
Bellaphone Lover * Member Since 2011-10-05
posté August 01, 2014, 14:28:47 | #41

Quote (Graveraider @ 01 August 2014 14:03) *

Quote (celestialknight @ 01 August 2014 14:00) *
Could someone please just explain what this means?......I feel dumb...
You will be able to launch wakfu via steam
I feel dumb too. I asked Wiki about Steam, but still do not really get what this gives us besides the voip that is mentioned there. From my glance at that page Steam seems like an authentication system.

So, could someone explain to us, who do not know what Steam is, the whole situation? What will we get from this? What functionality will accessing Wakfu from Steam provide?

posté August 01, 2014, 14:36:06 | #42

Quote (Szega @ 01 August 2014 14:28) *
So, could someone explain to us, who do not know what Steam is, the whole situation? What will we get from this? What functionality will accessing Wakfu from Steam provide?
Steam is a huge online games store (the wikipedia sources say it accounts for 75% of pc game downloads)
It holds a collection of games you own which can be played on multiple computers, has massive sales and has some social networking aspects to it as well.

This is possibly the best advertising the game could get as the game will be advertised to other gamers. So you'll probably see more players joining the game. New payment options may also be made avalable

Not sure about the last point though :x

This post has been edited by Soundtrack8 - August 01, 2014, 14:39:08.
Speechless Crobak * Member Since 2011-11-11
posté August 01, 2014, 15:53:17 | #43
Hold up, they are giving keys for Wakfu on Steam? Are those client game keys any different from the servers we playing on now?

Bellaphone Lover * Member Since 2011-10-05
posté August 01, 2014, 15:55:24 | #44

Quote (Soundtrack8 @ 01 August 2014 14:36) *
Steam is a huge online games store [...] and has some social networking aspects to it as well.
This is possibly the best advertising the game could get [...]
So, it will not have any effect on the individual player, but is rather a marketing move? That is fine, but then I do not get why people are so enthusiastic about this.
Wiki mentions an "in-game voice and chat functionality". Is this something we should expect here? Because that would actually be useful.

This post has been edited by Szega - August 01, 2014, 15:56:30.
Reason for edit : spelling
Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2008-01-09
posté August 01, 2014, 16:53:56 | #45

Quote (Szega @ 01 August 2014 15:55) *

Steam is a huge online games store [...] and has some social networking aspects to it as well.
So, it will not have any effect on the individual player, but is rather a marketing move? That is fine, but then I do not get why people are so enthusiastic about this.
Wiki mentions an "in-game voice and chat functionality". Is this something we should expect here? Because that would actually be useful.
We are enthusiastic because the servers have a low population and it's hard to find people to play with sometimes, putting it on Steam may make the game much more popular= more people in the game, and that effects as a lot.

Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2012-02-11
posté August 01, 2014, 17:37:30 | #46
I said it before and ill say it again when steam is brought up i really dont think steam is the answer your all looking for. Oh but the publicity... boop gone when it gets washed away by all the other games drowning in steam that come out on a daily basis... i hope they releases on a week without anything big coming out. Also can i just say using beta for everything is really starting to make the word meaningless. Also you do know that this isnt going to solve the issues with support right? why do you think steam would care at all. They let early access games run rampant with people giving tons of money to games that are just taking it then running, god steam itself doesnt even have a good refund policy. *sigh* I always get so angry when people try to mark steam as the best thing that has every happened and will solve all of wakfus problem. It most likely wont.

Brakmar's News Anchor * Member Since 2011-04-26
posté August 01, 2014, 18:07:41 | #47

Quote (Nox16 @ 01 August 2014 17:37) *
I said it before and ill say it again when steam is brought up i really dont think steam is the answer your all looking for. Oh but the publicity... boop gone when it gets washed away by all the other games drowning in steam that come out on a daily basis... i hope they releases on a week without anything big coming out. Also can i just say using beta for everything is really starting to make the word meaningless. Also you do know that this isnt going to solve the issues with support right? why do you think steam would care at all. They let early access games run rampant with people giving tons of money to games that are just taking it then running, god steam itself doesnt even have a good refund policy. *sigh* I always get so angry when people try to mark steam as the best thing that has every happened and will solve all of wakfus problem. It most likely wont.
Are you ever optimistic?

posté August 01, 2014, 18:16:54 | #48

Quote (Szega @ 01 August 2014 15:55) *

Roku summed it up, steam could bring a lot of players to the game and this in turn effects things like profits / ingame economy & group finding etc. So I guess thats why its gotten a generally good reaction

Steam itself has a contact list with chat through that, but if you can open wakfu through steam then you'll have access to the chat system. Ive never tried voice chat through it so Im not sure what it offers, but again that would only work between your steam contacts, so you and people you'd like to talk to would have to open it via steam (or atleast have steam open) for that to work.

Short Strich * Member Since 2011-04-26
posté August 01, 2014, 22:27:47 | #49
Steam can boost player base, but I don't think wakfu has many things that can hold player for a long time. I guess farming top dungeons for relics is one way, but honestly, does anyone in Ankama tried completing Vampyro dungeon with 92 lvl party? Christ, new players will see this grind and will walk away.

Ugly Gobball * Member Since 2014-06-28
posté August 01, 2014, 22:44:04 | #50

Quote (Graveraider @ 01 August 2014 22:27) *
Steam can boost player base, but I don't think wakfu has many things that can hold player for a long time. I guess farming top dungeons for relics is one way, but honestly, does anyone in Ankama tried completing Vampyro dungeon with 92 lvl party? Christ, new players will see this grind and will walk away.
Are you kidding? People looking for F2P MMORPGs are looking for grind.

Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2008-01-09
posté August 01, 2014, 22:55:02 | #51

Quote (KariArisu @ 01 August 2014 22:44) *

This. And also, seriously, how many popular MMOs are NOT mostly grind? Wakfu compared to them doesn't seem that bad because the battle system is so unique, it's not just clicking a mob and pressing 1, 2, 1 and go to the next one.

Eccentric Moogrr * Member Since 2013-10-26
posté August 02, 2014, 19:02:40 | #52

Quote (Deviched @ 31 July 2014 20:53) *
OUR LORD AND SAVIOR GABEN

Let me spend monies on Wakfu!

LMAO my sentiments exactly

I'm assuming servers will remain untouched? Not sure if this will affect multiboxing u_u Atm I launch Wakfu through Steam anyway and multiboxing is fine.

This post has been edited by ennieeee - August 02, 2014, 19:03:35.
posté August 03, 2014, 09:22:21 | #53

Quote (Rokugatsu @ 01 August 2014 22:55) *

This. And also, seriously, how many popular MMOs are NOT mostly grind? Wakfu compared to them doesn't seem that bad because the battle system is so unique, it's not just clicking a mob and pressing 1, 2, 1 and go to the next one.
There is difference between grind and physical inability to complete dungeons. Can you answer question "Did you tried running Vampyro dungeon with 92lvl party" or not?

posté August 03, 2014, 10:28:33 | #54

Youve been a member since 2011, why dont you think there wont be more long-term players like yourself that come from steam?

posté August 04, 2014, 02:40:47 | #55

Quote (Rokugatsu @ 01 August 2014 22:55) *

I believe World of Warcraft was such a successful MMO was because it had a progression system built into it that made grinding and doing challenging dungeons fun and rewarding. What do I do in Wakfu? Grind mobs. There's little questing, little exploration, and little involvement in the world. I love the combat system and the customizability of the characters, but this game is seriously lacking in a lot of elements.

Short Strich * Member Since 2011-05-08
posté August 04, 2014, 05:37:02 | #56
=O

posté August 04, 2014, 09:07:04 | #57

Quote (Soundtrack8 @ 03 August 2014 10:28) *

Youve been a member since 2011, why dont you think there wont be more long-term players like yourself that come from steam?
I see Wakfu going Steam as move to increase player base. Of course some players will just use Steam instead of basic Wakfu launcher, but I suppose the whole thing is about advertising game on international digital distribution platform. But I suspect that in current state Wakfu will look like 2+ years old asian mmos that went f2p and looking for anyone to play it. I want Wakfu to expand, but I don't see how it differs from other mmos with wheat-farms. Turnbase tactic may be more fun than action rpgs, but its more complex and hard to play. And grind in wakfu is so big that in total it could scare away potential players.

posté August 05, 2014, 01:20:35 | #58

Quote (Graveraider @ 04 August 2014 09:07) *

I see Wakfu going Steam as move to increase player base. Of course some players will just use Steam instead of basic Wakfu launcher, but I suppose the whole thing is about advertising game on international digital distribution platform. But I suspect that in current state Wakfu will look like 2+ years old asian mmos that went f2p and looking for anyone to play it. I want Wakfu to expand, but I don't see how it differs from other mmos with wheat-farms. Turnbase tactic may be more fun than action rpgs, but its more complex and hard to play. And grind in wakfu is so big that in total it could scare away potential players.
So your solution is that they don't advertise on one of the largest digital distribution platforms?

Miss Winter Fashion Victim 2012 * Member Since 2012-12-14
posté August 05, 2014, 04:02:19 | #59

Quote (Sabi @ 31 July 2014 19:21) *
This Closed Beta will be mostly focused on the English speaking territories, but it will also be possible to participate from other countries, provided that you have an International account.
So I have an international account but live in the US. I tried linking it to steam, but it says "Community account is restricted on this server" when I log in. I don't get why I can't log on my own account. I understand it's a Beta client, but it literally says that you can access with international accounts.

This post has been edited by aurevoirmika - August 05, 2014, 04:02:51.
posté August 05, 2014, 07:46:57 | #60

Quote (Pernicious-Deed @ 05 August 2014 01:20) *

Quote (Graveraider @ 04 August 2014 09:07) *

So your solution is that they don't advertise on one of the largest digital distribution platforms?
Did you even read my post?