Back to forum.wakfu.com

No flash

New equipment rules
Producer & Lead Game Designer * Member Since 2010-12-16
posté July 17, 2013, 16:00:00 | #1
New equipment rules

Azael tells you about the new equipment rules implemented on July 30th: AP/MP limitation, stats rebalancing, replacement of sets, more unique items, relics, etc. Learn everything in this devblog!Hello everyone,

Today I wanted to tell you more about the AP/MP limitation but also talk about the new equipment rules, the new relic items, and the impact these modifications will have in game… Because yes, it all comes together!

But before giving you more details about these modification implemented on July 30th, let me explain the reasons behind.

Equipment limitations

It all starts with the sets. Currently, when we release new content, most players will first look at the sets as they will only equip sets in order to optimize their character.

But here’s the result in game:
  • Little interest in unique items (not part of a set),
  • Non-competitive craft (since it mostly produces non set items),
  • Frustration of the player when trying to change an entire set (the player will only change his equipment when he has the entire set),
  • Limitation to the variety of builds and sets in game.

How to deal with these problems?

By implementing more competitive unique items, and more of them, allowing you to create builds instantly! But we were stuck as it would be impossible to compete with the set bonuses (AP/MP). To limit the appearance of builds full of AP/MP bonuses, we already had a limitation implemented in regards to which items can provide these type of bonuses.

Example: Boots = only MP, Cape = only AP.

We couldn’t create peculiar unique items such as “1 AP Epaulettes” for the simple reason that we would have no control over the AP gain, and this item would become a “must have”.

Our objective being to give you more freedom in the builds you can create with your gear and abilities, we had to make several decisions.

Limitation of AP/MP

First rule: we will limit the amount of AP to 12 and MP to 7.

The current builds shouldn’t be impacted directly, since this limitation is designed with level 200 in mind.

This will allow us to create any type of items with said bonuses without having to worry about the overall balance. You will be free to save the ability points usually spent in the AP bonuses and try to reach 12 AP with equipment only!

Just to be clear, this limitation is only outside combat. AP and MP gains in combat will not be limited.

Modification of the stats repartition

With spells level increased to 200, bi-element will become much more playable (we will tell you more in another devblog). We therefore needed items to be adapted in this direction.

Our bi-element items have been modified to become as competitive as mono-element. No more need to sacrifice everything to get the one piece that fits your build!

Much less sets

As you will notice with the next updates, we will not implement new sets. As I said above, the idea of sets reduces by far the equipment builds variety. It’s an interesting concept for the beginning of the game, guiding the player in his decisions, but after all, we’re playing WAKFU here!

You will now be free to create your own builds and we’d rather give you the tools instead of more items already made. Thanks to the AP/MP limitation and the opening of builds, you should be able to do just that!

This turning point will start with Bilbyza, and also the Wabbit update. We will add new unique items with each update, notably craftable ones. This should give a proper boost to crafting, offering you real equipment alternatives!

Those of you, who are more bound to the visual aspect, worry not. Some items will be designed in order to form a “visual” set. These sets will be combinable in a single item like the current ones, but will not provide any set bonuses. For example, our bosses will still drop set items, with visual coherence… After all, pwning is nice, but with style is even better!

And here’s an example to give you a better idea:

In development, not fully translated.

Relics

Relics will be a new type of items, extremely interesting.

A relic can be of any type of equipment slot (epaulettes, boots, etc.) but you will only be able to wear one at a time. For example, you won’t be able to equip an Epaulette Relic and a Ring Relic.

The first two will appear with on July 30th, including the Merydia one from the Almanax. And yes, the Merydia one will be an Insignia!

As usual, let us know what you think! And if you have any questions, we will try to answer them the best we can.

Aza.http://www.wakfu.com/en/mmorpg/community/blog/posts/403529-new-equipment-rules

Speechless Crobak * Member Since 2012-03-06
posté July 17, 2013, 16:12:24 | #2
Could you say something the stats of an relic item or show 1 as example?

Grizzled Dandelion * Member Since 2012-02-29
posté July 17, 2013, 16:28:36 | #3
Will these relics be extremely hard to get? I really hope they're not gonna be like 0.0001% or something like that. I want it to be something I can actually get.

Community Helper * Member Since 2005-08-28
posté July 17, 2013, 16:53:02 | #4
Btw excellent work on AP capes and BP breastplates, I love them.

I agree with these Dofus style changes.
More custom, unique and craftable items - good.

If I can get 12 AP without 2 base I would love that.

Personally I don't mind the relic system adding new super low drop rate items yes its grindtastic but thats what makes then great.

As long as what you are fighting in enjoyable then its win win.

Lets take arachoshima dungeon the drop rates are 0.03% however as I really enjoy this dungeon I will happy do 100 dungeon runs. However recently I did 120 dark hurl dungeon runs and for me its just not as fun. I also quite like Shodouku from what I have read that's some of the most grindtastic fun to be had.

This post has been edited by JerryDB - July 17, 2013, 16:54:47.
Ecstatic Whisperer * Member Since 2012-04-04
posté July 17, 2013, 17:05:08 | #5
Max MP is 7? Ew. Just ew. Make it 8 please.

Overweighted Chafer * Member Since 2013-01-30
posté July 17, 2013, 17:16:26 | #6

Quote (ThyHolyOverlord @ 17 July 2013 16:12) *
Could you say something the stats of an relic item or show 1 as example?
+1

Also,I didn't understand well the ap/mp limitations.

Does it means amulets won't give ap anymore?

Is it possible to reach 13 ap with a legring?

Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2011-12-11
posté July 17, 2013, 17:26:36 | #7
I'm a fan of this change and the direction gear seems to be heading.

Allowing us to mix and match will be extremely helpful to some classes that gain bonuses from stacking initiative or dodge etc.

This post has been edited by Gynrei - July 17, 2013, 17:29:18.
Scary Polter * Member Since 2012-03-05
posté July 17, 2013, 17:38:49 | #8
to make crafting work, equipment drops should be replaced with ingredient drops

relics... sounds like dofus trophies, too bad they come in normal slots, I liked 6 additional slots in dofus

what would be the token cost of alma relic?

I like the idea of removing set domination, sets are boring

This post has been edited by LioVamp - July 17, 2013, 17:40:09.
Community Manager * Member Since 2012-03-01
posté July 17, 2013, 17:47:07 | #9

Quote (LioVamp @ 17 July 2013 17:38) *

The Relic will replace the Mount reward, so its cost will be 360 Almokens.

Nun Shall Pass * Member Since 2012-01-05
posté July 17, 2013, 18:02:01 | #10
The ideas in general are not bad, however you should take the massive complaints about the already low drop rates and the removal of the token machine system into consideration before adding even more rare items to the game.

This will not create a proper long term incentive for players. The grind is not always the solution for a dev to bind players to the game. You created a perfect solution with Haven Worlds and GvG yet to come to keep players in Wakfu, so please reconsider these low drop rates. There is no actual feeling of reward, just the feeling of a lot of mindless grind/playing the lottery.

That comes from a player who is relatively resistant to tedium and can farm a lot of the same thing if the reward and investment ratios are somewhat reasonable.

Focussing on non-set items and more individualization sounds good to me. I wonder though how rational it will stil be to spec 2 AP and then go for non AP equipment, you should definitely make that a viable choice. Removing this as a consideration for a player planning a build dumbs things down too much imo.

Welp, brb need to start doing Almanax quests again...

Bellaphone Lover * Member Since 2011-10-23
posté July 17, 2013, 18:17:25 | #11
While I agree this is a step in the right direction, the existence of sets never was the real problem. It is that certain stats are "linked" to each other (some with merit, some without). Besides AP and MP a character usually has about 3 main stats to focus on (I would say maybe +2 for dual builds). The number of items one can choose from that are of appropriate level and grant enough of the main stats is too limited to offer a real choice.
Whats more, this "linkage" usually changes when one looks at gear of, say, +20 levels. Since items give a high portion of the stats (which is OK in itself) it is hard to retain a build through levels. On the other hand, if we always could work it out so we have the right stats on our items, the improvement with levels would only be an increase of numbers. So far the opportunity to gain more AP/MP (LEA/MEC) provided the real boost and new opportunities. Since they plan to limit these, I wonder what will we get with new items that will serve this purpose. We have already seen unique statuses granted by items, maybe that.
So, in order for this change to work, the items have to show a much higher diversity. A "non-set" like what we see in the picture is the same as what we have now. Even if AP and MP do not force us to wear them together, the fact that they provide so similar bonuses still makes it so. While this provides a more gradual change in gear, the outcome is the same in the end.

Also +1 for changing droprates. I do not mean to say just make them higher. Making something more common only decreases its value. But one should see the "light at the end of the tunnel". Monsters dropping only components (with higher rate) and items getting crafted from those could be a way to do this. We can already see this in action with imperial items and I think it works.

Cheers,
Szega

Soft Crackler * Member Since 2012-02-21
posté July 17, 2013, 18:22:46 | #12

Quote (Troyle @ 17 July 2013 17:47) *

Quote (LioVamp @ 17 July 2013 17:38) *

The Relic will replace the Mount reward, so its cost will be 360 Almokens.
Wait so your saying there's no mount anymore?  

Ancient Eradicator * Member Since 2008-06-09
posté July 17, 2013, 18:26:38 | #13
No set bonuses is another step in the right direction. Looks like Wabbit Island will be a lot of fun. Not only will it have 5 exclusive and unique families, most likely have gear up to level 150 since the level cap with be 140 and all five families will be over 100(which means level range would be in 100-140 range with last dungeon being 150 if you compare it to Frigost which started at level 80), but all items have no set bonuses . Plus, it helps if the island is up to level 150 since it will help make non-set items more popular. I can choose the piece I want, and not having to worry about a future item having worse stats but makes it better due to set bonuses. I can freely swap out a piece when I find a better item now. Just do not screw up the items when Wabbit Island launches .

This post has been edited by GodIsWithUs - July 17, 2013, 18:30:27.
Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2011-03-15
posté July 17, 2013, 18:27:24 | #14
This is a great idea if it's possible to get AP pieces without requiring an enutrof
It's going to be really combining pieces now..but it really depends on how rewarding trying to drop them is.

Overweighted Chafer * Member Since 2012-12-21
posté July 17, 2013, 18:34:30 | #15
+1 to fix drop rate. Doesn't have to be easy but there has to be a feeling of progress or reward to go with the ridiculous grind. Maybe bring back token machines, adjust the token prices of items and the dungeon token drop amount and then let tokens randomly be rewarded in fights.

Wilder than Wild Dragoturkey * Member Since 2012-03-02
posté July 17, 2013, 18:46:26 | #16
The relic insignia costing 360 almanax tokens is kinda harsh and a bit much, considering that now it seems like it's a must have insignia providing stats, and what not. A lot of us stopped doing the almanax every single day for several reasons:

1. Stopped after the hurricane that occurred last fall and DID NOT get the tokens lost for the 7 days that couldn't play (ME)

2. Almanax bugs

3. Removal of the Mount, etc..

I would say that halving the cost of the relic so that there are more people that can actually buy it and use it, and make it more reasonable/accessible for us to pursue the relic for those that have 0 almanax tokens.

Also, drop rates should be changed or revamped to another drop system that actually allow us to drop something beneficial to us.

Besides my ranting and ideas;

The ideas portrayed really sounds like you actually sat down on a table, sipping up on that morning coffee, and actually sought for a solution; i will applaud you for that. It is about time. It's time to put on the big boy pants and start making the game better.

I'm impressed.

-Faded

This post has been edited by Fadedscourge - July 17, 2013, 18:48:51.
Ancient Eradicator * Member Since 2008-06-09
posté July 17, 2013, 18:59:43 | #17

Quote (Fadedscourge @ 17 July 2013 18:46) *
The relic insignia costing 360 almanax tokens is kinda harsh and a bit much, considering that now it seems like it's a must have insignia providing stats, and what not. A lot of us stopped doing the almanax every single day for several reasons:

1. Stopped after the hurricane that occurred last fall and DID NOT get the tokens lost for the 7 days that couldn't play (ME)

2. Almanax bugs

3. Removal of the Mount, etc..

I would say that halving the cost of the relic so that there are more people that can actually buy it and use it, and make it more reasonable/accessible for us to pursue the relic for those that have 0 almanax tokens.

Also, drop rates should be changed or revamped to another drop system that actually allow us to drop something beneficial to us.

Besides my ranting and ideas;

The ideas portrayed really sounds like you actually sat down on a table, sipping up on that morning coffee, and actually sought for a solution; i will applaud you for that. It is about time. It's time to put on the big boy pants and start making the game better.
I'm impressed.

-Faded
It is a relic. They should not decrease the cost of obtaining it. Those who truly wanted to get the item were dedicated to continue, and the people that were not truly dedicated were weeded out. Plus, they did not remove the mount previously. They said they were going to put it on hold previously and have a double reward for those who got the 360 tokens before mount was released. There is a reason it takes 360 tokens (though should be 365). It is the final almanax reward. A year is 365 days long, not 180 days. Plus, relics are not meant to be more reasonable to obtain. Relics are extremely powerful items with a limit of one per character when equipped. Relics require dedication. They changed the reward, and some did not care for mounts, but that does not mean they should then make the final reward more accessible either. They needed to please those that put time and dedication into getting their tokens, not please those who did not put any or very little effort.

You should instead be happy that it appears that instead of making the insignia a limited time offer, they have decided to completely swap out the mount for the insignia so that everyone can now get the insignia instead of just those that get 360 tokens before the release of the mounts.

This post has been edited by GodIsWithUs - July 17, 2013, 19:05:38.
Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2006-10-23
posté July 17, 2013, 19:00:03 | #18
I like this! It's such a pain to hunt for sets after the token system was removed. Some of my characters are wearing a mish-mash of uncompleted sets right now anyway.

Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2012-02-19
posté July 17, 2013, 19:22:04 | #19
will getting this relic mean i have to wait another year to get the mount when it comes out ... because im not going to get it if so i worked really hard everyday doing these quests and didnt you promise that whoever buys this thing would get the mount when they come out as well? idk i would like some clarification if its a one or the other type deal.

Overweighted Chafer * Member Since 2012-01-24
posté July 17, 2013, 19:35:22 | #20
" With spells level increased to 200, bi-element will become much more playable (we will tell you more in another devblog). We therefore needed items to be adapted in this direction.

Our bi-element items have been modified to become as competitive as mono-element. No more need to sacrifice everything to get the one piece that fits your build!"

Oh god, please tell me this means hushed set buff!