Back to forum.wakfu.com
Almanax 131 Octolliard
Al Howin's Day
The Al Howin festivities get their name from a Dofus-Era farmer. To create a buzz for the annual ...

No flash

Make fight maps wider!
Happy Miliboowolf * Member Since 2008-05-13
posté February 05, 2014, 02:05:16 | #1
Make fight maps wider! I was wondering, have you guys ever noticed one of the biggest mistakes in Wakfu? The way fight maps are created outside dungeons.

Inside dungeons you can still get some decent fighting maps, but outside, almost always you get tiny maps that only benefit the close combat classes or mobs.

I suggest to expand the fighting maps outside dungeons from 2 to 3 times. This is not going to give any big advantage to ranged classes over close combat ones as long as the starting spots remain random.

Secondly, I suggest to create some sort of random obstacles in all maps, like the wind effect we have in last room of hoodlum dungeons. This brings more strategy. There also can be some sort of special obstacles that are created whenever a fight starts to help or not the players, for example:

• Frigost: random ice spikes that block line of sight
  • Brakmar: random geysers that sprout every turn in the same place, doing damage, pushback, etc.

This is just a secondary thought. I think that if maps were a lot bigger most issues would have been solved, since bigger maps means that they cover more obstacles, bringing strategy to the battlefield.

This is a real fighting map (Dofus-Arena)

This is Dofus, most fights outside dungeons are this wide

This is Wakfu

Squited Arachnee * Member Since 2006-04-28
posté February 05, 2014, 03:17:12 | #2
It took some time to get used to. The maps are very small indeed!

Short Strich * Member Since 2011-01-11
posté February 05, 2014, 03:18:14 | #3
Maps are only that small in the lowest level areas of Wakfu. As I've leveled up and started fighting in higher level areas it seems that many of the maps are larger. Either way I like the smaller maps because it makes the fights a bit more strategic I think. Instead of just hitting and running without taking any damage from enemies at all (as you can often do in Dofus) in Wakfu you have to plan out how to absorb damage, how to deal with enemies getting up in your face, etc.

Soft Crackler * Member Since 2005-07-29
posté February 05, 2014, 03:52:17 | #4
I too would prefer the larger maps. Some high level content does have small maps (or poorly placed maps starting you surrounded by or close to the enemy). I don't do CC-style gameplay - didn't while playing Dofus either.

Tofurby on Diet * Member Since 2014-01-21
posté February 05, 2014, 04:18:48 | #5

Quote (FuzzySyd @ 05 February 2014 03:52) *
I too would prefer the larger maps. Some high level content does have small maps (or poorly placed maps starting you surrounded by or close to the enemy). I don't do CC-style gameplay - didn't while playing Dofus either.
like chillburg, specially when the mobs can easily drag you in....

Bellaphone Lover * Member Since 2013-02-06
posté February 05, 2014, 04:38:50 | #6
I like the smaller maps honestly. Too easy to kite or park behind a firewall as it is. If we make the maps Dofus size then might as well give CC classes a rifle or something.

I primarily like to play in close combat though so I'm a bit biased.

Nun Shall Pass * Member Since 2012-03-02
posté February 05, 2014, 08:11:58 | #7
Please yes.
xoxo - cras everywhere

WHAT IS THIS?! A MAP FOR ANTS?

This post has been edited by Soundtrack8 - February 05, 2014, 08:13:10.
Happy Miliboowolf * Member Since 2008-05-13
posté February 05, 2014, 14:53:36 | #8
I don't think it's a big problem because CC classes aready do have a great advantage over ranged ones, that would balance it out. Plus, I am not thinking only about PvP, they can make something specific to pvp.

In Wakfu, if maps were bigger, most classes would get benefit from it. Currently, whenever a fight starts, you are straight doing damage because it's the best (only) thing to do. When you start far away from a mob, on the other hand, you have time to prepare yourself and the team. Fecas can shield, Sadidas can summon dolls and create an army, Cras got the advantage of range. Foggers can create rails, Enutrofs can set up mines properly, Sacriers can drag one enemy and make the entire team focus damage on it while others are still far away. Iops can use Bravery Standard, yeah! lol Many many things seem more friendly.

The way it is right now only makes this game more and more hack and slash and less strategy based.

This post has been edited by Niddhoggy - February 05, 2014, 14:55:19.
Community Helper * Member Since 2005-08-28
posté February 05, 2014, 15:49:37 | #9
Oi oi Carbon,

This is an issue in the outside world I remember many an occasion were small maps and poor available positions have resulted in multiple swear words and much frustration.

In dungeons the maps are either bigger (I didn't play enough attention to size) or just better avaible starting position and that is were the true tactics of this game come into play especially on the boss fights. So in general close combat players have a slight edge in the outside world and ranged players in dungeons again after 2-3 turns its back to normal fighting.

As a Dofus player it took me a while to adapt to the smaller map sizes however you could agrue map sizes is irrelevant. As by having smaller maps it forces you to think faster which as a long time player I actually enjoy this aspect now. Wakfu is also designed to have faster fights than Dofus.

For example lets say your team can beat a 600 mobs of X monsters with moderate difficulty BUT what happens if the starting spots are really rubbish can you pull it off?.

I also remember when I did get a very long range map my cra pretty my soloing the fight (this was last year mind you).

This also reminds me of a topic something along the lines of wabbit island WTF, were their mechanics make all our tactics near useless or we have to use cheap tricks to get by. My main compliant on that topic was when monsters can teleport across the map and attack you instantly. My counter to this is to let them teleport then get the whole team to kill them off for attacking me.

This post has been edited by JerryDB - February 05, 2014, 20:46:05.
Short Strich * Member Since 2013-04-08
posté February 18, 2014, 18:13:16 | #10

Quote (Mishna @ 05 February 2014 03:18) *
Maps are only that small in the lowest level areas of Wakfu. As I've leveled up and started fighting in higher level areas it seems that many of the maps are larger. Either way I like the smaller maps because it makes the fights a bit more strategic I think. Instead of just hitting and running without taking any damage from enemies at all (as you can often do in Dofus) in Wakfu you have to plan out how to absorb damage, how to deal with enemies getting up in your face, etc.
They give the illusion of being larger higher up. However, I think you forget that classes still have 5+ MP and many monsters have more than that.

This post has been edited by Mtibbs - February 18, 2014, 18:14:34.