Back to forum.wakfu.com

No flash

Support Spells Review
Happy Miliboowolf * Member Since 2011-02-02
posté February 06, 2014, 16:56:22 | #1
Support Spells Review Hello everyone.

Problem

After reaching 100, it's easy to notice that the higher the level cap, more similar different builds of the same class get. That happens because we end up leveling almost all of our passive and active spells. I think we should have more active support spells. For instance (I know this game is not Dofus, but I like to compare), take Dofus as an example. Classes there have a total of 22 spells, while in Wakfu we have 15, 20 counting the passive ones (which do not exist in Dofus). In Dofus, some builds require 2 or 3 elemental spells, leaving space for a wide range of support type spells to be used, enhancing the game strategy and making it enjoyable. In Wakfu, I see myself using the same spells all the time, making I feel bored from time to time and restricting my gameplay. If we had more support type spells, I think that would not be as boring as it is right now and the range of different builds would significantly increase.

Reason

So, what should we have? The spells were developed for a level 100 character cap, take for instance the update that gave us level 200 spell, was this enough? Nope. That's why in fact they are slowing down the expansion of the level cap, they have to work on the passive and active spells that remain designed for a level 100 cap. I just do not want the maximum level of active and passive spells to be increased, like they did to spells. That's a very cheap solution.

Active and Passive support spells are deeply linked to a character's build. Having only 10 slots to cover all three elemental branches is simply not enough. Take Rogue's as an example, the bomb rogue has such a great potential, but it's difficult to give them more bomb related spells as it would end up eating the space of gun and close combat oriented builds.

Solution

• Since Passive Support spells are already enough to cover the builds, I suggest to add 5 more types of active support spells for each class. I have some examples in mind that I would like to share with you.
  • Instead of trying to balance classes with restricted spell arsenal, try do do this with new support spells.

Enutrof
  • Clumsiness: cheap MP drain spell, 1 AP for 2 MP loss at 9. 1 per target per turn. Ranged.
  • Excavation: looks for a mine, 0 range. Cheap spell. Grants random buff: crit, damage, range, heal, ap, mp.
  • Bribery: triggers Treasure Hunter, chance of skipping a target's turn. High cost.
  • Rock Den: digs up a hole and hides. Goes invisible for one turn. Can only be cast once every other turn.
  • Tunneling: moves from mine to mine.

Rogue
  • Powder: increases bomb damage (+50%). 1 per bomb per turn, can stack up to 3 times.
  • Delayed Shot: enters in Delayed Shot State. All gun spells cast during this state only triggers in the beginning of the next rogue turn.
  • Roguery: creates up to 4 illusions and teleports the Rogue to the targeted cell. Can only be cast once every other turn.
  • Boom!: makes allies in the area of effect immune to bomb damage, bomb damage increases damage of allies. (can be cast on self)
  • Smoke Bomb: gives up to 2 levels of disoriented to all targets caught in the area of effect. Enemies immune to disoriented for 1 turn.

Cra
  • Eagle Eye: increases the Range of a single ally by 3. Cheap cost.
  • Hinder Shot: enters in Hinder Shot state, all earth spells have their damage reduced by 20% and take 1 mp (100%) from the target.
  • Concentrated Burn: removes the area of effect of all fire spells, increases their base damage.
  • Deadly Aim: aims for a target, if the target doesn't get out of Cra's sight during this turn, the next turn the Cra gets up to 100% damage bonus upon this target.
  • Magic Arrow: makes the damage of the next spell cast Chromatic. 1 per turn.

That is it.

For some people it looks like with new spells it may get harder to balance classes, but I think differently, I think that one of the issues right now is related to the lack of support type spells. They pretty much restrict all builds and make it more difficult to make a balanced character, since one branch is almost always going to receive less attention than the other.

This post has been edited by Niddhoggy - February 06, 2014, 17:03:47.
Ambitious Crackapult * Member Since 2013-02-17
posté February 06, 2014, 17:14:32 | #2
Why don't you make new spells for all classes? This topic can be more interesting if you can do it.  

posté February 06, 2014, 17:16:42 | #3
Well, I can, I haven't done that because I don't have deep experience with all classes x] but I can do with the ones I have

Ambitious Crackapult * Member Since 2013-02-17
posté February 06, 2014, 17:22:31 | #4
I think dofus spells can be helpful about new spell ideas.

Also what happened dopples???

This post has been edited by Celay01 - February 06, 2014, 17:24:25.
posté February 06, 2014, 21:05:55 | #5
Well, just 2 more examples I can think of xD

Eniripsa
  • Vampire Mark: makes all attacks retrieve up to 15% as health gain. Can be cast on self or on allies. 2 per turn.
  • Word of Altruism: chromatic heal all enemies and allies in map.
  • Word of Motivation: increases Hygiene and Propagator levels for AP cost
  • Word of Recovery: triggers Hygiene and considerable heals a target. 4 Heal per level of Hygiene at 9.
  • Renew: replaces Heal Resistance by Elemental Resistance and Damage loss. (50% heal resist becomes -50% damage and resistance loss for example).

Sadida
  • Bramble Grasp: removes all movement points from the target. 1 per target per fight. Stabilizes the target.
  • Smelly Skin: makes enemies avoid attacking the target, if attacked, adds intoxicated and theta toxin.
  • Vitality: permanently increases the health and resistance of a doll.
  • Voodoll Link: switches the target that is linked to voodoll for just 1 AP cost.
  • Insolent Bramble: removes all positive or negative (enemy or ally) spells from the target.

This post has been edited by Niddhoggy - February 06, 2014, 21:11:41.
Nun Shall Pass * Member Since 2012-03-02
posté February 07, 2014, 09:35:10 | #6

Quote (Niddhoggy @ 06 February 2014 21:05) *
Eniripsa
  • Vampire Mark: makes all attacks retrieve up to 15% as health gain. Can be cast on self or on allies. 2 per turn.
  • Word of Recovery: triggers Hygiene and considerable heals a target. 4 Heal per level of Hygiene at 9.
  • Renew: replaces Heal Resistance by Elemental Resistance and Damage loss. (50% heal resist becomes -50% damage and resistance loss for example)
I really like some of these
Vampire mark and word of recovery being my favourite. Its like destructive arrow for an eni!
Renew is also a nice way of controlling Heal resist, but something like remove 50% heal res for -100% dmg / resist seems a little more balanced

posté February 25, 2014, 20:46:29 | #7
There goes one more:

Xelor

• Time Cage: stops the time. Freezes all targets in map but the Xelor until the beginning of the next Xelor's turn. When everyone is free from Time Cage, the Xelor enters in this state, losing one turn. It should have an extremely high cost (about 7 AP). The Xelor is unable to do damage, but he can store AP and move freely around the map (targets cant lock), as well as summon Sinistros and Hydrands (these will be inactive until the effect vanishes). Time Cage freezes everything: effects do not vanish, the AP stored on dial is only given back after the Xelor is out of the Time Cage state. Resistance loss, buffs, all of them are not lost. Everything simply freezes. This is mainly a time control tool. Can only be cast once every other turn. Animation: the battle freezes.
  • Midnight Cell: creates a new hour cell in map. Must have a maximum range and has a condition to be standing on a dial. (there can only be one cell)
  • Clockwork Enhancement: cheap spell that increases the charges of a mechanism. It boosts it's damage and AP greatly. Sinistros and Hydrands can attack twice. Limited to 2 per turn.
  • Blinding Protection: armor that applies Disoriented to attackers and reduce their AP. can be cast once every other turn. Cheap cost.
  • Mirror Images: teleports to one dial cell and creates up to 4 illusions randomly placed on the other cells. If an enemy attacks the fake Xelor, it loses AP. (once every other turn)

This post has been edited by Niddhoggy - February 25, 2014, 20:57:38.
Tofurby on Diet * Member Since 2012-02-29
posté March 18, 2014, 07:07:16 | #8
They've actually got this idea on the roadmap I'm really excited about it, actually; there are many support spells ankama did away with in order to introduce others, and it would be really cool for some of these to make a reappearance! Plus I remember in dofus, each class had some very unique spells with a very high cost/cooldown that felt really satisfying: eni's word of altruism, xelor's rollback to name a few. It'd be nice to have some of those in wakfu, because although I appreciate their efforts to limit having long cooldowns, and trying to incorporate wakfu points instead, it makes battles stale and repetitive.

So yes, I would personally love having an "ultimate" spell or two which can majorly influence battle, but can only be used, let's say, once per fight. Masqs have the right idea here.

And then, of course, more *specialized* specialties to cover unique build paths, which evidently are going to be available starting at level 100. Could be something like, each of these lvl 100 spells could focus on a different strength: mobility, damage, tankiness, utility... Like, a feca could have Truce, to completely stall a fight by one turn and allow everyone to reposition, or they could choose to go with Super glyph/armor, which can be activated by any spell and have a powerful effect based on the spell's element... so you could perhaps only choose one, and each would cater to a different playstyle even while remaining useful to all 3 specs, or combinations thereof. I'm getting so excited thinking about this, sorry to go on a rant XD

Dokushuuuuu * Member Since 2008-01-09
posté March 18, 2014, 11:11:44 | #9

Quote (Niddhoggy @ 06 February 2014 21:05) *
Well, just 2 more examples I can think of xD

Eniripsa
  • Renew: replaces Heal Resistance by Elemental Resistance and Damage loss. (50% heal resist becomes -50% damage and resistance loss for example).

Sadida
  • Bramble Grasp: removes all movement points from the target. 1 per target per fight. Stabilizes the target.
  • Smelly Skin: makes enemies avoid attacking the target, if attacked, adds intoxicated and theta toxin.
  • Vitality: permanently increases the health and resistance of a doll.
  • Voodoll Link: switches the target that is linked to voodoll for just 1 AP cost.
  • Insolent Bramble: removes all positive or negative (enemy or ally) spells from the target.
Oh, I really like the ones from Eni! Some of the Sadis would be nice as well. Really nice ideas