Back to forum.wakfu.com
Almanax 19 Septangel
Me Hearty Party
A whole day in honour of pirates: that's the dream that Seth Halitosis, modest corsair from the ...

No flash

Spell UI, round 3
Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2007-03-08
posté May 04, 2011, 00:43:29 | #1
Spell UI Yet again, revisiting (1 , 2) the inadequate spell information in the game.

Currently

Tells us: base Range, Cost, Line-of-Sight (y/n), Damage, Damage type, AoE shape (not special shapes), Critical Effects.
Others tell us: Conditions, special targets (dolls, totems), Effect Chance, State level.
None tell us: "on line" only, modifiable Range, Empty Cell target (e.g. for summons), the created objects (beacons, summons' spells, HP)

Conditions: per turn, per target, target type only, etc

Problem
The Missing information.

Suggestions

Cost: Moved left to free space for more information.
On Line: New icon to left of Range (don't show if unrestricted).
Range modifiable: Small + sign on maximum range (don't show if not modifiable).
Scaling values: Yellow tint on text which increases with the spell's level.
Grouped effects: Indents additional effects, so if one occurs, they all occur.
Free Cell: specify under "conditions"

Grammar
Range: Say both minimum and maximum, even if they are the same. 0-0, 1-1, 1-3, etc. This is because "1" is not clear if it is "0-1" or "1-1".
Chance: Say "20% Chance:" then effect. "20%" could be anything, "20%" maximum effect, etc? For multiple effects under the same chance, indent like AoE as shown.
Duration: Make clear if it lasts until end of the current turn, until the end of next turn, multiple turns, etc. 0t, 1t, 2t, ∞t, etc.
Exotic conditions: Like Enutrof's Firedamp Explosion, with its diagonal targetting, should be stated under the Conditions tab.
State Level: Show as a superscript number on the state's name.

Areas of Effect

When you mouse-over an AoE icon, it displays the exact size and shape. The arrow in the middle shows the direction it is cast in (for lines, or special shapes like the axe). Red squares show which cells are hit.

more examples:

Created objects:
Link to a new window with the objects name in the description. Gives information about HP, their spells, etc. If using a special icon, show that icon next to the link.

The Spell's direct effect should be separated from the effect of the object created. E.g. Cra Beacons do the damage, the spell's only effect is to create the Beacon in the first place.

Also
Marks: Eniripsa Marks need to list that they remove other marks as an effect.
Sadida air spells: Need to explain what the "accumulate effects" effect means... sub-window or something.

posté May 04, 2011, 01:02:49 | #2
This belongs to a translation thread instead of suggestions?

posté May 04, 2011, 01:12:02 | #3

Quote (Aie-for-Pie @ 04 May 2011 01:02) *
This belongs to a translation thread instead of suggestions?
Why would it?

posté May 04, 2011, 01:14:31 | #4
Because it involves adding, changing text which is what they do in translation thread anyway.

But I totally agree that the tooltips are serious lacking in description, many of the spells you have to actually cast to fully understand what the effect actually is.

posté May 04, 2011, 01:16:29 | #5

Quote (Aie-for-Pie @ 04 May 2011 01:14) *
Because it involves adding, changing text which is what they do in translation thread anyway.
Actually, this information doesn't exist in the original French text either, and I'm going to dual-post this to the French forums after I've had some input here.

Translation only deals with the original language actually having the information in the first place.

This post has been edited by GoldfishGod - May 04, 2011, 01:18:23.
posté May 04, 2011, 01:19:21 | #6
It's still about modifying and adding in game text

But back to the topic, would you happen to have a screenie of an Eni's Mark spell? They have those "State" effects that aren't properly described.

posté May 04, 2011, 01:24:03 | #7
The only specific thing (rather than general things) missing from the Eni marks is details about the Coney, and the general function of Marks (duration/removal of other marks). Granted, they're an example of Ankama forcing the spell effects into the "flavour text" description section.

This post has been edited by GoldfishGod - May 04, 2011, 01:24:42.
posté May 04, 2011, 01:29:11 | #8
One of Eni's spells have a 4% chance of applying a 2HP loss for every 1AP used, but in the tooltip, it only says 4%. Same as your "_Chance: Say "20% Chance:" then effect. "20%" could be anything, "20%" maximum effect, etc?"

posté May 04, 2011, 01:37:52 | #9

Quote (Aie-for-Pie @ 04 May 2011 01:29) *
One of Eni's spells have a 4% chance of applying a 2HP loss for every 1AP used, but in the tooltip, it only says 4%.
You mean Infected Flask (which is not a Mark), and Gangrene's damage scales up with its level.

I don't really get what you're asking me for. Other than the missing word "chance" editted in, or some sort of proof of inconsistency in the UI?

posté May 04, 2011, 01:42:51 | #10

Quote (GoldfishGod @ 04 May 2011 01:37) *

Quote (Aie-for-Pie @ 04 May 2011 01:29) *
One of Eni's spells have a 4% chance of applying a 2HP loss for every 1AP used, but in the tooltip, it only says 4%.
You mean Infected Flask (which is not a Mark), and Gangrene's damage scales up with its level.

I don't really get what you're asking me for. Other than the missing word "chance" editted in, or some sort of proof of inconsistency in the UI?
Both, doesn't state the chance of effect other than a simple 4% and I have never seen it actually work in all the testing I have done.
It's either a bug, a chance even lower than 4% or I am just that unlucky.

This post has been edited by Aie-for-Pie - May 04, 2011, 01:43:22.
posté May 04, 2011, 04:37:00 | #11
One thing that I missed on spell information is critical chance, or every spell have the same chance that is found on your characteristics tab?
Eniripsa's marks also don't say they replace each other, can't remember of more.

posté May 09, 2011, 20:57:43 | #12

Quote (Yechnagoth @ 04 May 2011 04:37) *
One thing that I missed on spell information is critical chance, or every spell have the same chance that is found on your characteristics tab?
Critical chance is the same for all spells, directly using your Critical Hit stat.

Whelp, I've tweaked it, and posted this in French ... so I guess I'll sit back and watch them completely ignore it

This post has been edited by GoldfishGod - May 09, 2011, 20:58:03.