Back to forum.wakfu.com

By continuing to browse this website, you consent to the use of cookies, which enable us to offer you customised content and to collect site-visit statistics.
Click on this link for more information on cookies, and to customise your cookie preferences. X

No flash

azalyn's profile
Statistics
77 Posts (0.07 per day)
Most active in : General Discussion
posté January 20, 2015, 18:44:48 | #1

Quote (ThomasterXXL @ 19 January 2015 19:43) *
I'm new here, but I really don't get the skill-system...
It's kind of self-defeating to have a leveling system that is a convoluted point-system requiring cash items/very annoying quests to reallocate every once in a while for maintenance...

[ . . . ]

It's indeed very hard to understand for people who didn't play the game in open beta, or early launch; allow me to explain the history of this.

Originally, you could max all 15 spells; the idea was that your character level didn't really mean anything, and your progression in the game was supposed to be determined by the spell levels themselves (sounds like Skyrim in a way, doesn't it?). There were a few problems with this system however; first of all, the gameplay meta when the game launched, was essentially that you spammed one spell repeatedly, until you reached level cap (100 at the time), and then maxing another spell was very time consuming (some have said it was the same as levelling another character from scratch, but it wasn't quite that bad; it was still very bad though). This problem was compounded by the fact that spell exp gained in battle is divided between all spells used in battle, and in a huge oversight, Ankama made it so that even a maxed (lvl 100) spell, would STILL cause exp to be divided, which meant that you couldn't just use the spell you want to level, and then cast your lvl 100 spell to actually do damage on the next turn; you had to basically just use that low level spell until it was actually capable of doing any damage, which obviously works best if you're being powerlevelled, that way you could cast the spell you want to level, and let someone else do the actual killing.

So, why did they change it? Well, as you can imagine from what I've said above, very few people actually bothered to level all of their alt branch spells because it was the most ridiculous timesink imaginable. There were a handful of people that did it though, and back then, spell levels gave you resist in the element in question, not just damage like now (resist was also absolute back then, which meant you could actually reduce damage taken to like 1 final dmg per hit, rather than only reducing down to base damage), which essentially meant that there were a handful of extremely overpowered individuals running around, who were relatively immune to damage in three elements, and had ridiculous damage from having all spells maxed in their main elemental branch. As you can imagine that was a pretty nasty combination in PvP, higher damage than any other player on average, and higher resist than any other player on average; many people complained and the first "spell revamp" was Ankama's eventual response to these complaints. Originally we could only have 2 maxed spells at level 100 in one elemental branch, and we were supposed to get 4 when lvl 200 would come around (spells only went up to 100 back then, even while the cap was 110 and so on), but then they changed it to be linear like now, where we can have 4 spells for mono element, 5 for hybrid, and 6 for tribrid.

Anyways, that's the history lesson out of the way. So as you can see, the game has changed quite a lot, and the current spell system is really a relic of the past; it basically is the way it is due to it's evolution over time, and I imagine the next spell revamp is aimed precisely at changing this to make it feel more consistent. They originally wanted the game to be different from Dofus (where you apparently stat your spells as if they were specialties, I think), but in the end, Wakfu's spell system pretty much evolved in the same direction; the spell exp system now is more or less just another point-statting system, where the spell exp is your "points" and you just stat them into spells. Personally I'm hoping they get rid of the hybrid/tribrid spell exp bonus and just allow all of us to get like 6 spells or something (I'd love to have 7 or 8 though, to be honest, since I'd like to get 3 spells in two different branches, and then one spell in third branch or something like that).

I hope my wall of text wasn't too annoying to read, and I hope I've shed some light on the spell system's history and the reasoning (or lack thereof) behind it's design. =)

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #821963  Replies : 11  Views : 608
posté December 24, 2014, 00:26:57 | #2

Quote (De-Tox @ 23 December 2014 23:51) *
Just go to your character selection screen and use the arrows to the side.
Hm, alright, thanks. It's weird that they screwed up the banner though. What's odd is that they did make one that says "3 slots", which I mentioned I saw on beta's login screen, but then they removed that one, so now they have the wrong one. >.>

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #814246  Replies : 3  Views : 502
posté December 23, 2014, 23:47:45 | #3
TWO character slots?! Not three? Wait a second, it was supposed to be three slots, but the banner advertising this on the login screen says two slots. Is this a mistake on the part of the marketing team, or has Ankama actually lied to the community once again and delivered less than they promised? Can we please have some clarification on this?

I also noticed that on beta server's login screen, there was briefly two banners, one saying three slots, and one saying two.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #814238  Replies : 3  Views : 502
posté December 21, 2014, 19:49:34 | #4
With a game like Wakfu, which changes it's character building mechanics every few months, this tool will be obsolete by this time next year unless you, the author continues to update it meticulously with every single change made in the game. With that said, do you have any plans to release the source code under an open source license (perhaps on github?), so that even if you stopped maintaining it, the community could collaborate on improving it and keeping it up to date?

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813101  Replies : 17  Views : 1279
posté December 02, 2014, 04:46:01 | #5
Hm, yeah, a friend just told me that they've been used for mystery boxes before, but it's a bit confusing on why they let you save them up and stuff. Is there a page on their site that explains it all?

Thread : News  Preview message : #803812  Replies : 189  Views : 5329
posté December 02, 2014, 04:19:15 | #6
Ankama did not explain this "token" system at all, what exactly is it for, and is there any value in "saving up" your tokens or something?

Can a mod or something chime in to clear this up? I don't want to use it now and then find out that I should've been saving them or something.

This post has been edited by azalyn - December 02, 2014, 04:19:37.
Thread : News  Preview message : #803806  Replies : 189  Views : 5329
posté September 06, 2014, 20:41:58 | #7
As someone else mentioned in this thread..

The problem is NOT the timer. The problem is that the animations take too long for some classes.

For example, with air sacriers, it used to be that you had to wait for motion sickness' barf animation cycle to complete, before a teleport would go through, which was pretty messed up for 10ap sickness->assault combos (although few were able to get that build back then).

They changed the way the animations work, so that a sacrier's teleport will be able to 'interrupt' the barf animation.

Another issue is that you cannot target/queue an action until an animation has completed, so if I want to beacon sneak as a cra, I have to wait until the beacon animation completes before clicking the button to sneak, otherwise the map grid will not be updated and won't give me a target to teleport to; and then while I'm sneaking, I have to wait for that animation too before my LoS gets updated (because I may now have LoS to a target that I did not have prior to sneaking).

The map grid should update the very second the spell is queued. There is no reason the game should make you wait all this time for animations. If animations could be interrupted, and if the map targetting grid updated instantly, there would be no need for more than 30 seconds.

This post has been edited by azalyn - September 06, 2014, 20:42:41.
Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #771181  Replies : 46  Views : 1763
posté June 22, 2014, 03:44:05 | #8
I hope this works out. I know a lot of people that would still be playing today if it wasn't for all the cancerous individuals who cheat.

Thread : Politics  Preview message : #748043  Replies : 22  Views : 1893
posté June 06, 2014, 21:47:45 | #9
Opsayian: Perhaps I didn't express the intent of that sentence correctly. The point isn't how hard the workload actually is. The point is that people complained all the time about mini, and then some of those people got into government, and didn't do anything better. Now people are complaining about bonuses, and supporters (of the outgoing governor) are trying to blame citizens for not doing their part. Remember that it doesn't matter how hard something is, in the end, it's the citizens who vote. If you don't fulfill their expectations, they won't vote for you again. Regardless of whether those expectations are reasonable. I apologize for not making myself clear.

Tulish: At the risk of sounding infantile, we're not the ones who started this. Everyone has personality quirks, and pet peeves that set them apart from others. As long as I've known Mini, she's never backstabbed or betrayed anyone, and anyone who has been nice to her has received only kindness. Of course, if someone starts spreading rumors, and conspiring or trash talking behind Mini's back, that will piss her off and she'll go on a rampage and start blasting people. It takes two to tango, though. Mini may have an ego, but so do her enemies. And all of those disagreements are a result of egos clashing. Again, as I said. Mini is the kind of person that can make friends with someone who's been a hated enemy for years overnight, if approached with friendship, instead of vilification.

As for alt-voting. Every single governor since launch, in every nation, has benefitted from alt-votes. The question is whether there was a higher than average amount of alt-votes. Mini has never really had higher than average votes. Indeed, it would be a trivial matter to regain the statue if we had higher than average alt-votes at our disposal. After all, that's how Death got the statue. They seem to have logged over 100 characters within minutes of the election ending, and changing approval rating in the middle of the night while most people were asleep and couldn't vote negatives. Organizing such a thing without like 20 or so alt accounts is practically impossible. I was online minutes after the election ended.

So please don't throw such accusations without some kind of rational basis. The reason Mini governed for so long is because until recently, Mini had a solid relationship with every single large brakmarian guild, and had friends everywhere. Until some shady people started spreading propaganda and trying to make an enemy out of her.

Those of you who hate Mini are simply being manipulated.

Thread : Politics  Preview message : #742211  Replies : 28  Views : 1533
posté June 06, 2014, 20:18:07 | #10
Everyone complained that Mini never did anything, but then when you guys actually alt-voted yourself into government, you realized the workload was too high. I mean of course no one has to do anything as governor, the game doesn't really have any in-game penalties for it. But this is a sandbox.

You all complained about the status quo, because you thought it wasn't good enough, but doing all the things that people expect of a governor, like restoring bonuses, fixing crafting machines, etc, requires time and resources. Those of you not in Lovelace wouldn't know what Mini is actually like, you judge from the outside. If you were on the inside, you'd know that Mini will often leave dungeon groups, to go fix bonuses, etc. If any of you are actually online after a server reset, you'd usually find Mini wandering around in gnashville, pabong, or sidimote, killing mobs to restore bonuses.

Furthermore, we've never been opposed to including representatives from other guilds in our cabinets, but no one ever really talks to us, they just conspire, scheme, and blame Mini for everything. Mini is a very kind-hearted person when you actually communicate with her. Mini is the kind of person that would forgive years of hate/distrust instantly on the spot if you decided to approach as a friend, instead of as an enemy.

Even now, any burnt bridges can be fixed, if we all come together and talk about this like rational people.

I guess the lesson here is, be careful what you wish for. Also, the evil you know is better than the evil you don't know.

Thread : Politics  Preview message : #742173  Replies : 28  Views : 1533
posté March 20, 2014, 16:08:44 | #11

Quote (Rokugatsu @ 20 March 2014 16:01) *
There is already an official translation in the "server status" section

Also yay for Remi!

Most of us posting here are from Nox. ._.
Umm, most or at least half of the players here are from Remi.
Yeah? Well... I'm rubber and you're glue. :o

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #697591  Replies : 164  Views : 3335
posté March 20, 2014, 16:00:42 | #12

Quote (ViKoToRu @ 20 March 2014 15:55) *
I've just updated the original thread with more info but, what I cant tell you by now, is that the Remington server is not one of the most affected.

Although we can't still say with no doub if a rollback wil or will not be necessary four your server, at least you know that you are on the "better half" by now.

Thank you for your patience and understanding and be sure that we will study Remingont's case on detail so your community will recieve the attention nedded.
Most of us posting here are from Nox. ._.
>_>

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #696913  Replies : 164  Views : 3335
posté March 20, 2014, 15:56:43 | #13
I speak french.

Basically they're saying that the servers will all remain locked until they feel they have a 'complete' list of abusers. People who've exploited will be sanctioned, they haven't decided what the punishments will be (?? seems obvious to me, inv wipe and ban?). They have no estimate on how long this could take. They may open the servers at different times, presumably if they finish investigating one of the servers before the others (i would guess more populated servers would take longer). They're not aware yet if they will need to rollback or not.

Also, as saphiLC2 mentioned, they say that this bug was observed in beta, and anyone who abused and did not report the bug will also be sanctioned, even though it's just beta. That's good news, after all, the whole point of beta is to REPORT this kind of shit.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #696369  Replies : 164  Views : 3335
posté March 20, 2014, 15:26:13 | #14

Quote (MODAradryan @ 20 March 2014 15:09) *
Just remember that we need evidence, we cannot take action on players on hear say alone.
Do you guys not have ANY server logs? Are you people just bluffing when you say "yeah, don't exploit because we can catch you with our logs!" ..?

What is going on.. -_-

This post has been edited by azalyn - March 20, 2014, 15:28:10.
Reason for edit : I prefer text smilies.
Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #696123  Replies : 164  Views : 3335
posté March 20, 2014, 15:01:22 | #15
Duping should not, and should never have been possible.

The way it's supposed to work is that the server is supposed to use hashes to sign and validate all item IDs as being unique. With such a design, in theory you'd still be able to glitch things, but the server would detect it, produce an error, and prevent it.

As for making money. If the 'buyers' wish to screw over the dupers, you need only file a chargeback with your credit card, assuming you paid with paypal. Then the money goes back into your account. You can do this up to 3-6 months or so later. And there is really little they can do to get it back. Payment systems always favor the buyer.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #696091  Replies : 164  Views : 3335
posté March 02, 2014, 20:49:58 | #16
Reconnection-in-battle should not be as hard to implement as they claim.

If you want to built it into the server codebase, perhaps that may be challenging depending on their design.

However, there's an easier way to do this. All they'd have to do is create a wakfu proxy. It could integrate with the login server, or even run on a seperate server, whatever. The proxy would act like an IRC BNC, and "take control" of player characters when packets to/from the player start timing out.

If Ankama doesn't know how to do this, it would mean they don't understand their own protocol...

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #686937  Replies : 60  Views : 2252
posté February 11, 2014, 22:18:09 | #17
I think it's important to be precise. This change is fantastic for in-battle animations. But it's a bit odd on the overworld when out-of-battle.

In-battle it makes sense to want to be quick (both in terms of gameplay, AND even in terms of just logic, you wouldn't just casually walk around when you're in a real fight).

Out-of-battle there's no problem with wanting to walk around. Please fix it *only* for out-of-combat walking, if you do fix it.

Thread : Bug Archives  Preview message : #678501  Replies : 8  Views : 873
posté February 10, 2014, 22:14:55 | #18
I'd pay for a "Leeroy Jenkins" achievement. ;o

You'd get it when you aggro a UB without all of your team being ready for it. :)

P.S.: Seriously though, I'd pay for all of these things, too. And I'm practically broke! >.>

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #677807  Replies : 14  Views : 627
posté January 29, 2014, 16:52:09 | #19

Quote (Mikutza @ 29 January 2014 12:36) *
Please don't call it anime and manga, it's insulting towards Asian work. Call it comic and cartoon.

The difference between a French comic and Japanese Manga:

Different art, lately Frenchies try to rip them off. (Ever since 1998)

Time: French comics take a few months to complete, be it a chapter of 24/52 pages where as a Japanese manga comes out every week or so. (Won't go into quality and success)

Anime/Cartoon same thing, time,art,ripoff, +the horrible voice acting.
Eh, in Japan, the terms "Anime" and "Manga" are used to refer to all types of cartoons and comic books respectively. It's just literally their words for that. They don't draw a distinction, unless they actually add "japanese" or "western" or whatever in front as a qualifier.

Furthermore, the original animes and manga actually drew inspiration from western art, and then evolved their own style.

Also, that ship has sailed already: EN.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/OEL_manga

The terms are already being used to refer to japanese-inspired art, to the extent that there's a Wikipedia (which is NPOV) article on the subject. The way language evolves, it won't be long before it all comes full circle. Give up, you have no chance to survive, make your time. :o

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #671505  Replies : 75  Views : 3989