Back to forum.wakfu.com

By continuing to browse this website, you consent to the use of cookies, which enable us to offer you customised content and to collect site-visit statistics.
Click on this link for more information on cookies, and to customise your cookie preferences. X

No flash

Automatic guild leader switch.
Teethless Sharkie * Member Since 2005-07-09
posté November 09, 2013, 21:48:34 | #1
Automatic guild leader switch. What is written below is also written on the changelog for the november update. Because of all the reactions to all the diffirent changes the topic, which is very important to me, is kind of overshadowed. To discuss the topic at length I decided to take the discussion here. I wonder what your opinions on it are, but I'm really sad about this change and hope Ankama can at least make it optional for guilds to have this automatic leader switch, instead of it being imposed on guild leaders. Like by switching on an automatic switch right, at the guild leaders rights.

Of all other parts of the update I'm really quite positive, and I'm looking forward to it a lot. It's just this one thing that really bothers me. Here is why:

"Automatic inactive Leader change: If a guild leader doesn’t log in for 45 days, his rank will automatically be changed to a lower hierarchy rank (see above for hierarchy). The highest hierarchy member, if not inactive in the last 15 days, will automatically be named Leader. If no member fulfills these requirements, nothing will happen until a member does."

This is the biggest nonsense ever! Having or leading a good guild costs an enormous ammount of time. For me this is one of the main reasons to play the game and I've infested the majority of all my time and money in there. I try to lead my guild in a moral and ethical way, trying to inspire my members to play kind of in the same attitude, that being: be nice to others, don't do stuff you wouldn't like to be done to yourself, don't go out and revenge kill, talk things over, rather than fight over things. By leading and (trying to) inspiring guilds in that manner a guild become a manifestation of morals and become a reflection of those morals and ways of playing [in turn, the leaders become a reflection of the guild. Having someone else lead this, might influence what others think of those first leaders. This way, changing guild leader automatically might be abused in a slander-like way]. The guilds are an achievement of the leaders and all the wonderful people that have helped making it possible.

IT does sound a bit materialistic, but for a good guild leader, that is what they play for, to achieve just that. Being the guild leader, and especialy the guild creator with such a vision in the back of their mind a guild is like a child of the leaders morals and values. If the leader decides to take a break from the game, the guild should be able to continue in the same fashion. But passing the guild over to someone else, without the leaders consent; the consent of the creator, mind, heart and soul of a guild. That is cruel, thievery almost. Your child will always remain your child, you can't transfer them to their next best parent automatically. I would feel victim of a huge theft if this happened to me. I've lead several guilds in Dofus, back in 2005-2010. Those guilds still remain on characters of me. They symbolize a huge chunk of my memories of the game. Occasionally I log on in the guild that once was big, full of laughter, the ghost of that time still reflecting through the logo of the guild... It makes me happy I can still log to see that. [if someone decide to quit for a year, they should be able to come back to the guild they loved, guided and created. The materialistic part: it's sort of their property. Sets don't change to their friends when its not used for 45 days.]

Risking to lose that on Wakfu sounds rediculous, terrifying and saddening to me. I don't think I ever felt so upset about a choice Ankama's made.I don't want anyone taking over my baby, my vision and my hard work. They may lead it in my spirit when I'm gone, I would love that and appreciate it highly, but its still my memory and my creation with my sweat and tears in it.

[other or the same opinions, let it be heard to Ankama?

Thanks for reading.

-Blantuise] 

Speechless Crobak * Member Since 2011-06-28
posté November 09, 2013, 21:53:46 | #2
I like the idear but the time needs to be longer, it should be around 80 days.

Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2011-04-28
posté November 09, 2013, 22:07:19 | #3
I have to agree with PidgeonX on this. Guild leader can simply give proper rights if he plans to quit the game for longer. There's no real reason to make some random active minion to suddenly became the guild leader after 45 days. It's ridiculous. I don't want it. I'd rather manually set someone to be new guild leader rather then making it decided by someone's activity. What if some new member will be more active then the old member who simply has job in RL to do? Then a "kid" who had plenty of time to play the game and was in that guild will became the Leader? Thats horrible!

I hope Ankama will not implement this aftter all.

Squited Arachnee * Member Since 2006-04-28
posté November 09, 2013, 22:36:09 | #4
Change it to 90 days and timeout people from the guild after 90 days as well.

Aside from that, do not promote someone to second in command if they are not the right person for that position.

posté November 09, 2013, 22:42:42 | #5
and on vacations, or if your PC is broken and it takes ages to fix it, what then?

i do not agree with this, guild leaders should keep their rank no matter what.

posté November 09, 2013, 22:43:29 | #6
I agree with this, this change is ridicilous. If guild leaders computer for example breaks down for over 45 days then oh, you are not your guild´s leader anymore. Sorry. It´s also stupid to promote some random to be the leader. What if he doesn´t want to do it? What if he´s a troll and kicks everyone out and deletes the guild?

This change is just plain stupid and can cause big harm to your guild.

posté November 09, 2013, 22:43:55 | #7
Even though I think it's not good to have a leaderless guild, I really disagree with this plan. Mainly because not every leader has the same views on a guild. Some see it as a property of all the members, some see it as a property of the leader. I see it as property of the leader. Don't get me wrong, I think the members make the guild for a great amount and we always listen to feedback and hardly decide anything without asking the members first. But I think, because a guild has been created with a certain vision, a symbol, a name, chosen by the leaders, they should have the right to decide what happens to it in the end.

Aside from my personal opinion, looking at it from a meta-level, I think it's a bad idea to implement this solely because different people think of this in a very different way. This plan works for people who agree on seeing a guild as something with it's own life, not a property of the leader. But there's a great many options for the points of view to have on the concept of a guild. That's what makes guilds so fun too, it's very open to all different kinds of points of view, and they are manifistated in so many different ways. I don't think it's fair if something like this is decided for people who have a different view of guilds than this one. And that's what's kind of happening with this idea. Of course, it's not that bad to log in once in 45 days, but it's kind of the idea that counts for me right now. Also, there's always people very busy for a while, or being on a long holiday. If this rule is to be implemented, I think the time span should be longer for the leader to be absent.

Cheers!

Rayne c:

This post has been edited by gekkensukkels - November 09, 2013, 22:47:43.
Mister Winter Fashion Victim 2012 * Member Since 2012-12-16
posté November 09, 2013, 22:46:41 | #8
I think the new leader isn't selected by activity, rather the next highest ranking member in the guild (whoever you've appointed as an officer). That being said I think the best way to go about this, if you are a leader, is to find someone suitable as your Second-in-Command whose rank sits right below yours in the rank management tab, and if you for whatever reason vanish for 45 days straight they will be the one appointed to leader.

I guess it's a preemptive leader selection so it's someone who is right for the job. That being said, this is sort of nice for the guilds whose names you never hear about, whose leaders vanish and the members complain they can't do anything because they don't have a leader. Whether because the leader never set proper management rights for them, I dunno.

Two sides of the coin I guess. Is it right to assume all it takes is a quick log-in to reset the timer?

Also, they should've implemented a "last online" tooltip hover-over when passing your cursor over someone's name in the roster so you could actually see who's inactive without having to guess how long they've been gone.

• Mango

Soft Crackler * Member Since 2012-02-29
posté November 09, 2013, 22:47:35 | #9
So to you if a guild leader abandons their guild, instead of getting replaced by his right hand man and allowing the guild to move on and not lose all their progress, you'd rather let the guild perish?

When a good leader knows he'll be away for a while, he passes on appropriate rights to his high ranks so the guild functions normally while he's gone. If you can't even trust your right hand, I doubt your leadership qualities. This change targets guild leaders that disappear and never return.

45 is very long in game. Unless you're dead or in a coma or gone on an expedition in Antarctica, I don't see how you could not log in.

A guild isn't anybody's property, it's a community that everybody contributes to, if you can't even be assed to log in 30 seconds every 45 days, you don't deserve to stay leader. And if your replacement takes on the reigns and manages to make the guild flourish while you weren't assed to log in, he deserves to become fully fledged owner of the guild.

posté November 09, 2013, 22:50:25 | #10

A guild isn't anybody's property, it's a community that everybody contributes to, if you can't even be assed to log in 30 seconds every 45 days, you don't deserve to stay leader.

That's my point, I don't think you can decide that's point of view for everyone on guilds. What a guild means is based a lot on a personal opinion, and that can't be decided for someone else.

This post has been edited by gekkensukkels - November 09, 2013, 22:50:35.
posté November 09, 2013, 22:56:04 | #11

"Automatic inactive Leader change: If a guild leader doesn’t log in for 45 days, his rank will automatically be changed to a lower hierarchy rank (see above for hierarchy). The highest hierarchy member, if not inactive in the last 15 days, will automatically be named Leader. If no member fulfills these requirements, nothing will happen until a member does."
Hmmm... I think if you create a hierarchy rank just below leader that has 0 people or your inactive alt, you can avoid losing your leader status...? Just an idea I have no idea if it works or not.

This post has been edited by Sentrayak - November 09, 2013, 22:56:52.
Soft Crackler * Member Since 2012-02-29
posté November 09, 2013, 22:59:24 | #12

Quote (gekkensukkels @ 09 November 2013 22:50) *

A guild isn't anybody's property, it's a community that everybody contributes to, if you can't even be assed to log in 30 seconds every 45 days, you don't deserve to stay leader.

That's my point, I don't think you can decide that's point of view for everyone on guilds. What a guild means is based a lot on a personal opinion, and that can't be decided for someone else.
So to you, all the gold and items in the coffers are yours? Your guild's haven world and all its' constructions are yours? Your guild level is all thanks to you? Your members are just minions to you? Heh, yes you're allowed to have your own opinion, and I'm allowed to think that's an egoistical and extremely misguided way of seeing things. A leader that thinks that way is terrible one, both in-game and inrl.

posté November 09, 2013, 23:03:51 | #13

A leader that thinks that way is terrible one, both in-game and inrl

Now that's just starting to get offensive ._. I just stated I don't think others can decide for someone else's view on a guild. And even if people would be a bad leader of a guild, or think of it this way, it doesn't necessarily say anything about that person in real life.

Edit:

Unless you're dead or in a coma or gone on an expedition in Antarctica, I don't see how you could not log in.

Dead or in a coma? :x This is getting rude much .-.

This post has been edited by gekkensukkels - November 09, 2013, 23:52:25.
posté November 09, 2013, 23:09:41 | #14

Quote (Noobility @ 09 November 2013 22:47) *
So to you if a guild leader abandons their guild, instead of getting replaced by his right hand man and allowing the guild to move on and not lose all their progress, you'd rather let the guild perish?

When a good leader knows he'll be away for a while, he passes on appropriate rights to his high ranks so the guild functions normally while he's gone. If you can't even trust your right hand, I doubt your leadership qualities. This change targets guild leaders that disappear and never return.

45 is very long in game. Unless you're dead or in a coma or gone on an expedition in Antarctica, I don't see how you could not log in.

A guild isn't anybody's property, it's a community that everybody contributes to, if you can't even be assed to log in 30 seconds every 45 days, you don't deserve to stay leader. And if your replacement takes on the reigns and manages to make the guild flourish while you weren't assed to log in, he deserves to become fully fledged owner of the guild.
I see where you are coming from. Let me clarify. I am myself a second in command to the guild that I made with my girlfriend (she is the "official leader"). In our 1,5 year existance we've gotten several other Co-Leaders who I'd trust to the end of the world. They have the exact same rights as me and the "official leader" though, so I don't see the need for the "official leader" rank switching to them. They already can do everything the leader can (exept desolving the guild). Ofcourse leaders shouldn't let the guild perish.

If a good leader goes away, he should make it clear to the member how long he will stay away, or that he's taking an indefinate break. In the latter case he might indeed decide to pass the leadership to someone else (one of the SiCs, for example). That's fine, you trust those people and when you return I have faith they'll let you regrow your way back into the guild and eventually return it. But lets say that during your 1 year break, new members have joined the guild, gained the trust of your right-hand man and become the new selectee of the right-hand man to become the leader (or he becomes so automatically because the new leader stops palying), than you've lost your guild.

A guild is 'like' a property, I believe I said: that is, the logo, rules, image and ways of playing are all imposed by its leader(s). The community is what the guild thrives on, but if someone of the community does something the leaders disagree with, they will risk being kicked from the community. Hence, they don't own the guild. They are the people of the guild, and the combination of those people is what makes the guild live. If a guild leader is such an *ss to abandon their guild without letting people know, he probably doesn't deserve to have so many members, and the member should've gone to another guild ages ago.

Next to that: I would never leave the guild before it's dead in the first place. So, when I would quit the game, or take a break from it, the guild would be inactive already. However, if someone who was inactive would log in, and therefore become the only active member in the guild. As far as I understand the change, he will automatically become the new leader. This then, can be any randomer. So that's where I'm coming from and what I'm really worried about.

EDIT: i understand and respect your opinion and view on this. But like I said, an easy solution would be to join make it optional. Guild leaders that agree with your vision could toggle to option of automatic leader switch on, while leaders who disagree can turn it off. If member of the guild where this is turned off thislike that, they can discuss about it with their leaders, or they can join another guild if they find it that important.

This post has been edited by PidgeonX - November 09, 2013, 23:15:08.
Teethless Sharkie * Member Since 2012-03-25
posté November 09, 2013, 23:09:55 | #15

Quote (PidgeonX @ 09 November 2013 21:48) *
What is written below is also written on the changelog for the november update. Because of all the reactions to all the diffirent changes the topic, which is very important to me, is kind of overshadowed. To discuss the topic at length I decided to take the discussion here. I wonder what your opinions on it are, but I'm really sad about this change and hope Ankama can at least make it optional for guilds to have this automatic leader switch, instead of it being imposed on guild leaders. Like by switching on an automatic switch right, at the guild leaders rights.

Of all other parts of the update I'm really quite positive, and I'm looking forward to it a lot. It's just this one thing that really bothers me. Here is why:

This is the biggest nonsense ever! Having or leading a good guild costs an enormous ammount of time. For me this is one of the main reasons to play the game and I've infested the majority of all my time and money in there. I try to lead my guild in a moral and ethical way, trying to inspire my members to play kind of in the same attitude, that being: be nice to others, don't do stuff you wouldn't like to be done to yourself, don't go out and revenge kill, talk things over, rather than fight over things. By leading and (trying to) inspiring guilds in that manner a guild become a manifestation of morals and become a reflection of those morals and ways of playing [in turn, the leaders become a reflection of the guild. Having someone else lead this, might influence what others think of those first leaders. This way, changing guild leader automatically might be abused in a slander-like way]. The guilds are an achievement of the leaders and all the wonderful people that have helped making it possible.

IT does sound a bit materialistic, but for a good guild leader, that is what they play for, to achieve just that. Being the guild leader, and especialy the guild creator with such a vision in the back of their mind a guild is like a child of the leaders morals and values. If the leader decides to take a break from the game, the guild should be able to continue in the same fashion. But passing the guild over to someone else, without the leaders consent; the consent of the creator, mind, heart and soul of a guild. That is cruel, thievery almost. Your child will always remain your child, you can't transfer them to their next best parent automatically. I would feel victim of a huge theft if this happened to me. I've lead several guilds in Dofus, back in 2005-2010. Those guilds still remain on characters of me. They symbolize a huge chunk of my memories of the game. Occasionally I log on in the guild that once was big, full of laughter, the ghost of that time still reflecting through the logo of the guild... It makes me happy I can still log to see that. [if someone decide to quit for a year, they should be able to come back to the guild they loved, guided and created. The materialistic part: it's sort of their property. Sets don't change to their friends when its not used for 45 days.]

Risking to lose that on Wakfu sounds rediculous, terrifying and saddening to me. I don't think I ever felt so upset about a choice Ankama's made.I don't want anyone taking over my baby, my vision and my hard work. They may lead it in my spirit when I'm gone, I would love that and appreciate it highly, but its still my memory and my creation with my sweat and tears in it.

[other or the same opinions, let it be heard to Ankama?

Thanks for reading.

-Blantuise]
... exactly. but do they listen? no.
like with everything that directly effects the players, they never really do, do they.
this isnt even really needed and no one really seems excited about it so far.

Speechless Crobak * Member Since 2011-06-28
posté November 09, 2013, 23:19:43 | #16
In the first guild I was in (Hellborn Army) our leader moved house and didn't have internet for a very long time, must have been about 4 months. He left the guild in very capable hands but without full control over the guild everything started to fall apart.

Their should be a leader switch system in place but not the one they are proposing.

Guilds have 7 ranks (iirc), highest rank is 7 (Leader) lowest is 1

If the leader does not log in for 90 days then the person who is rank 6 should become the leader.

If their are multiple people who are rank 6 then the most active person who is rank 6 should become leader.

If no Rank 6 people have logged in in 90 days then no action should be made at all until the leader (7) or a rank 6 person logs in, it should NEVER be possible for rank 5-1 people to gain control of a guild via the leaders being inactive.

This post has been edited by Spazturtle - November 09, 2013, 23:20:10.
posté November 09, 2013, 23:23:43 | #17

In the first guild I was in (Hellborn Army) our leader moved house and didn't have internet for a very long time, must have been about 4 months. He left the guild in very capable hands but without full control over the guild everything started to fall apart.

Their should be a leader switch system in place but not the one they are proposing.

Yeah I agree. I do understand the other point of view on this. It's no good if a guild's left with no leadership at all. But this is a bad solution imo. Not sure what else could be proposed, but I don't think it's a good idea to implement this as of yet. Don't get me wrong though, I don't like to see abandoned guilds or guild leaders who don't care about their members either.

The things you propose sound pretty good, it's more subtle yet members won't be disadvantaged as much/often as is the case now when a leader leaves.

This post has been edited by gekkensukkels - November 09, 2013, 23:31:19.
posté November 09, 2013, 23:28:27 | #18
I agree, u have to give options to who owns the guild. If the leader have a protection it's okay, i don't want to loose all my hard work to someone else just cause i can't enter in game for a long time, i have ppl who can work like me, but will never be me.

posté November 09, 2013, 23:33:34 | #19

Quote (Spazturtle @ 09 November 2013 23:19) *

Guilds have 7 ranks (iirc), highest rank is 7 (Leader) lowest is 1

If the leader does not log in for 90 days then the person who is rank 6 should become the leader.

If their are multiple people who are rank 6 then the most active person who is rank 6 should become leader.

If no Rank 6 people have logged in in 90 days then no action should be made at all until the leader (7) or a rank 6 person logs in, it should NEVER be possible for rank 5-1 people to gain control of a guild via the leaders being inactive.
Yes, this would be fine I guess. At least much better.

So to you, all the gold and items in the coffers are yours? Your guild's haven world and all its' constructions are yours? Your guild level is all thanks to you?

Of course not. However people arrange this differs per guild ofcourse, but at least in my guild and what sounds the most logical to me is that the guild's funds and achievements are like that of a firm in real life. The money a company makes isn't of its owners, its of the company and can only be used for the company. The same with guilds, everyone who donates money in the guild chests gives it to the guild. It is the guilds, not of any person. I've spend over 80% of all the money I over earned in the guild, but it would be very wrong if I'd take a kama out of the guild funds for myself. A donation is a donation and it will be spend for the guild. If a guild eventually becomes inactive. So do the funds. Its just frozen ingame untill someone picks up the guild and continues with it, imo.

Your looking down on people with other opinions (or at least the tone) is kind of offensive to me though. Lighten up and try to put yourself in the opinion of others. You don't have to agree but can try to see how others might feel about it.

Community Helper * Member Since 2005-08-28
posté November 10, 2013, 00:09:19 | #20
I will add sorry this post is kinda long because I feel quite strongly about guilds in general.

Logging into Wakfu takes me 60 seconds as a guild leader I should be able to manage this once within every 45 days. For me as a guild leader I do not understand how this situation would really arise, it can only happen when there is awful guild management.

Before I start to answer anyone in this topic .

This change was brought about by the community as guilds with exceptionally poor leadership and managment got into position where no one had the title of guild leader. I understand that apart from having every single guild right guild leaders have no real special powers however I put importance on the guild leaders themselve above and beyond a normal players/guild members requirements.

For example some old Dofus player may know this, there is an unwritten rule that "a Guild leader must be the most active members of a guild" I wont bother justifying this rule just for you to think about.

Quote from PigeonX
"Having someone else lead this, might influence what others think of those first leaders. This way, changing guild leader automatically might be abused in a slander-like way]. The guilds are an achievement of the leaders and all the wonderful people that have helped making it possible."

So you understand the problem ahead of time be pro-active not re-active . So you assume you and others have players within your guild who when given power are going to abuse it (I think thats what you meant not 100% sure). Why not switch it to a player you can trust?. Who cares about what anyone says about you or your guild?.

Here is a counter for you is when Rayne doesn't run for Governor you put forward someone else who you trust, does slander often take place then? the guild will work in the same way.

I answered your other comment early.

I also strongly disagree with remaining as the guild leader if you know that you plan to remain inactive or quit the guild do you not care about your guild members? or did you say look I am quitting so everyone better quit as well?. As I said I take the responsibility of being a guild leader very seriously and anyone not living up to that responsibilty is open to massive criticism. This is not a personal attack I want you to understand this system they are putting into place is simply to help locked guilds. I will also add I am sure knowing you it prefect reasonable and agreeable for the guilds to come to an end however then the guild has died you just didn't bury them. The memories you have can never be replaced regardless of who the guild leadership falls to and thats it what's important.

Quote from Besjejasper
"i do not agree with this, guild leaders should keep their rank no matter what."
People have locked guilds now and need a guild leader change as even Troyle and Sabi can do nothing as this. Imagine you can no one has access rights to build anything in the haven world that you put kamas into? would you leave the guild which you want to be apart of then have to earn the ranks to build within some other guilds haven world? which no doubt would already have built stuff and may not want your added input.

Quote from Goblin-Cleaver
"Aside from that, do not promote someone to second in command if they are not the right person for "that position.
I 100% agree with you, think about your guild how many rights does the second in command have? how long have they have guild bank access rights for? how long have you played with them for?. I have been teaming up with my second in commands for over a year I would trust them with my life.

Extreme example (to get you to think about getting access to Wakfu)
If my PC broke or my internet then I would go round a real life friends house, I would go to an internet gaming cafe, I would go to a friends of a friend, I would go to a family members. I would ring up/email/ skype/ msn live/ ankabox message any members of my guild I have contact details for. Failing that I would contact any friends I have and ask them to contact my guild members. Stating JerryDB's internet/pc has died its going to take 3 months before I can play normally again so one of you will be randomly made guild leader. If any of you mess up the guild there will be hell to pay P.S I know what you did last summer!.

My reply to Rayne
"I think it's a bad idea to implement this solely because different people think of this in a very different way"
I have covered this point above and this is not why they are implementing this.

When the guild leader is switched you believe the new person could possibly take the guild into a different direction and that the guild belongs to you. As if left up to the system it is randomly going to be given to a second in command by the very nature they have earnt the highest possible rank I would like to hope they at the very least understand the basics of what the true guild leaders vision is and how to continue. As this is mere speculation it is pointless to really comment any further as like must things you will never know until it happens.

I agree that the guild belongs to the guild leader by as I expressed in my own guild recruitment video what is a guild? a guild is is guild leader and its core members they both go hand in hand.

I think there is some misunderstanding of what ankama said.

If the guild leader does not log in after 45 days it goes to the second in commands if they do not exist it keeps going down the hierarchy i.e the guild ranks until it finds someone who is suitable. I do not understand the sentence if no one is suitable selected.

In conclusion
As there are some guild who are currently locked from doing various things like build in their haven world I do not see any good reason to make them wait any longer. 45 days is a decent amount of time and if you read up there is an extreme example on what on earth you can do if you run into problem in real life and believe me there was many more things you could do more.

As some people have this problem with their guild and this change is to fixing that problem I think it is a benefit to the game as a whole.

To repeat be pro-active and be a decent guild leader solve problems ahead of time. Do not wait for the problems to happen then moan about it when it does, its like changes in the law in real life you just have be aware of them and use them.

I have seen many guild leaders switches I have seen many guilds come and go. The main I have learnt is its all about the guild leader and its core members. As humans we all have various responsibilities outside of Wakfu which can at some points in time clearly prevent us from playing Wakfu. As a guild leader who should be responsible for its members and the guild as a whole it should be your duty to do something about it.

Funnily enough this actually happened to me I had to switch guild leadership to a trusted member for 9 weeks (still on going) and I only have enough time to play for a few hours on Sunday. I fully explained the situation to all the members of the guild and thanked them for their understanding.

This post has been edited by JerryDB - November 10, 2013, 00:10:42.