Back to forum.wakfu.com

No flash

Possible Alternatives to Moderation, A discussion of safe guards in case moderation doesn't step in in time

Thread closed

Community Helper * Member Since 2013-01-13
posté January 03, 2014, 02:24:23 | #1
Possible Alternatives to Moderation Hi everyone!

So when the moderation team first started, everything was fantastic. The forums were clean, people were actually having constructive conversations, etc. but lately they're no where to be seen. Out of the very large group that was recruited I've noticed maybe 2-3 still active, and even less in game (this may be because of the server I play on though). In the past weeks there has been awful racism, flaming, name shaming and all round hatred on the forums that should be moderated and was either just left there or tended to days later. We can't trust the community to keep to the rules so why is there little moderation anymore? I understand that the mods are volunteers, so I'd like to start a discussion on what we as a community can do, or what Ankama can do.

I've seen flamers and all-round aggressive posters comment on things over and over frequently. Since moderation can't keep them in check should harsher punishments be brought in? Should the ban system be reevaluated? Should there be stricter expectations on Mods, present or future? Should there be a function for the community to use that if something is reported enough for a certain reason its removed or thread is locked pending evaluation? What about in game? I feel like there needs to be more safe guards in place in case one day all the volunteers take a break.

Feed back and ideas would be really appreciated  

Scary Polter * Member Since 2012-01-07
posté January 03, 2014, 03:21:10 | #2

We can't trust the community to keep to the rules so why is there little moderation anymore?

No player knows the answer to this, next.

Since moderation can't keep them in check should harsher punishments be brought in? Should the ban system be reevaluated?

No, let people speak their mind. No, banning people solves nothing when everyone has 17 accounts and can make new ones daily.

Should there be stricter expectations on Mods, present or future?

I feel like "stricter expectations" is a non sequitur. I either expect something or I don't. I expect mods to be polite, helpful, and to edit rule-breaking posts without disrupting discussions.

The reason people get so angry at the Wakfu mods is because "bad" threads are never noticed early on and nipped in the bud, and instead are allowed to grow to huge proportions, with the belated moderation leaving the thread mangled and baffling to anyone who wasn't following the discussion all along.

Should there be a function for the community to use that if something is reported enough for a certain reason its removed or thread is locked pending evaluation? What about in game?

It would be a pointless waste of time and effort effort to create such a system when 99% of forum users don't even realize that each post has a "like" and "dislike" button on it. This could also be abused by everyone's many, many alt accounts and ability to generate infinite more alt accounts by using a VPN. Proposing that players be able to "vote" out other players in game is terrifying. No.

Tashlol, do you have some kind of authority in Wakfu or with Ankama? You talk like you do. I think it's silly to make a thread about how the forums should be moderated and how the moderators should do their job when it isn't up to any of us.

This post has been edited by [MOD]Itsade - January 03, 2014, 08:16:59.
Reason for edit : Removed quote
Community Helper * Member Since 2005-08-28
posté January 03, 2014, 03:40:43 | #3
We can wait until the holidays are over I am optimistic that things will go back to an "ok" standard on these forums. Therefore there would be no need for an alternative to moderation.

However here are some of my thoughts on the topic.

What you should have simply said is, Does Ankama need to get paid moderators both in-game and on the forums as using volunteers may not provide the best possible experience to the community.

Yes, they should however they won't.

The other problem, players interaction with the MODs. Here you have two sides the OP saying the MOD's don't do enough, and others saying the MOD are taking things to seriously and so on. Funny it sounds like they can't win.

Would I like every single person to respect and follow the forums rules? of course, I sometimes get angry on the forums when I see people breaking the forums rules. However I have broken these rules as well, I have on some occasions flamed people amongst other things.

I also think if people read firstly the term of use which by playing Wakfu you have agreed to that would help which can be found here. Secondly the forum rules themselves which can be found here.

"In the past weeks there has been awful racism, flaming, name shaming and all round hatred on the forums that should be moderated"

I read 90% of the topics on this forum and I didn't see anything as a gamer and frequent user of this forum which I felt really need moderating, yes there was some flaming but like most flames amounts to nothing.

I had an idea whilst writing this post, having a hotline to the ICT in-regard to forum moderation however I think that will make more problems than it will solve but that would be true Ankama style aka a revamp.

So with all that in mind I will go back to my first sentence.

P.S. sorry for the wall of text.

This post has been edited by JerryDB - January 03, 2014, 03:44:27.
Community Helper * Member Since 2013-01-13
posté January 03, 2014, 03:43:22 | #4
Hi Merriden!

Your first post didn't really respond to what my original post was trying to start a discussion about: which is what we as a community can do or what safe guards Ankama could provide the community with. I offered a list of suggestions with the idea that it would get the ball rolling. I thank you for addressing each of those but it wasn't necessary. I did not create this thread as a discussion on how the moderators do their job, but on other measures that the community or Ankama could take so that a group of volunteers isn't the only answer. I hope this has cleared things up for you a little, and anyone else who was confused by the topic.

In regards to me talking like I have authority in Ankama: I use the best grammar and politeness I possibly can. I do my best to help the community and those who need it because when I first started there were very very few people who did so and it was of great hindrance to me. Since this seems to be a prime topic of discussion and conspiracy in most threads I offer my two kamas on, I will state now that I have no authority in Ankama or Wakfu and I am not a moderator. I find it hugely disrespectful that my efforts to help are undermined by the fact that I may have some kind affiliation with Ankama or Wakfu on more than just a player basis. Someone does not need to be a Mod to help out, and if you visited the Technical Issues section of the forum you'd see a few people there who offer their assistance on a very regular basis, and not on mod accounts. The fact that people feel someone has to be a mod or part of Ankama to be helpful gives a really clear indication of the state of the player base. And to top things off, why would I complain about lack of assistance? Why would I not use my moderator account to help people? Why is that not a thought that occurs to people? Also, if I were somehow in a position of power or affiliation, why on earth would I be allowed to be so sassy to you? I wouldn't. I'd be incredibly disciplined.

I hope this answers yours, and other people's, questions about myself and the topic of the thread so we can all keep track and have a constructive and fruitful discussion on the betterment of our shared Wakfu experience

Recruit Moderator * Member Since 2013-10-25
posté January 03, 2014, 04:33:47 | #5
Hi everybody,

I'm here to extend to all of you, from the ICT team, our sincerest apologies in the decreased activity around the forums over the holidays. You've noticed that it's dropped, and it's simply because we've been taking time off over the holidays to... enjoy the holidays!

We are only volunteers, which means we are not paid for the work we do. There are a lot of us because Sabi is not asking us to work the forums 9-5, simply "when we can" - and over the holidays, there's simply not a lot of can!

Suffice to say that you'll be seeing more activity from all of us on the team as we move out of the holiday period, as we all recover and pick ourselves back up off of our couches.

As a reminder, you can ALWAYS alert us to posts on the forum by using the Report button at the top of the post you've got your eye on, and we highly encourage you to do this even if you're unsure. You won't get in trouble for over-reporting.

Thank you for your understanding, and again, our sincerest apologies from all of us on the ICT,
Itsade

This post has been edited by [MOD]Itsade - January 03, 2014, 04:35:50.
Recruit Moderator * Member Since 2013-10-25
posté January 03, 2014, 08:25:24 | #6
You have all been extremely disrespectful and rude today.

Quote (Merriden @ 03 January 2014 03:21) *
The reason people get so angry at the Wakfu mods is because "bad" threads are never noticed early on and nipped in the bud, and instead are allowed to grow to huge proportions, with the belated moderation leaving the thread mangled and baffling to anyone who wasn't following the discussion all along,

This is because we want to trust you. We are not sitting on the sidelines with riding crops just waiting for opportunities to lash you back into line, we want to give you as much freedom as you can to post whatever you please.

Is it bad moderation if we wait a while before responding to a thread to see if someone will come in and defuse the situation and let everything return to normal?

Is it bad moderation to trust you, the community, to try and bring things back to a reasonable level? I'm starting to think that it just might be.

When we start to get "called out" for being "biased" toward certain users simply for not shutting them down immediately, yet these same users get the exact same privilege extended toward them. When you start to look for things you can poke and hammer at, just because you can? You're not doing us any favours. You're not even doing yourselves any favours.

Everything turns hostile when we are brought up for absolutely no reason, and that's why the ban on this discussion was placed to try and keep the forums civil. But if you'll notice (and this isn't from the source of any bias toward any user), we have been letting these conversations happen because we want them to be able to happen without everything going off the rails the way it so consistently has.

If trusting this community makes me a fool, I'm the biggest fool you'll ever see. At least after you've torn each other apart the way you have in this thread, there's going to be at least one person who still trusts you.

I am appalled with the way you all have treated tashlol today. Thread closed.

This post has been edited by [MOD]Itsade - January 03, 2014, 08:25:47.

Thread closed