Back to forum.wakfu.com

No flash

Should Ankama hire Wakfu players as Moderators?

Thread closed

Teethless Sharkie * Member Since 2012-02-28
posté January 04, 2014, 13:03:20 | #1
Should Ankama hire Wakfu players as Moderators? Some of us believe that hiring Wakfu players to Moderate the Wakfu forums is not only unethical but just plain wrong. It is not my intention to get anyone in trouble but it is simply a point that I want to bring up to the Management of Ankama and I would like the community to give their opinions on the matter.

My opinion is that anyone that gets a job as a Moderator should have some sort of experience in customer service at the very least. A Moderator should not be involved in Wakfu the game itself because it might create bias in Moderation for or against certain players. It is also important to know that working for Ankama and playing the game at the same time creates an obvious conflict of interest and this might be the reason why some players are frustrated with how the forums are being managed.

I'd like to note that this is in no way an attack against any Moderator but simply a thread to get the opinion of Wakfu players and Moderators as well.

I hope that this does not offend anyone in any way, it is certainly not my goal to 'add to the fire of the current Wakfu forum wars' but a question of ethics and a conflict of interest.

Please do not take this post in any other way than constructive criticism and a concerned avid Wakfu player trying to make the community a better place.

Cordially,

Skulln'Bones

Squited Arachnee * Member Since 2013-03-08
posté January 04, 2014, 13:45:36 | #2
You do have to bare in mind that mods are not paid, they are volunteers. I'm sure if Ankama had more resources, that wouldn't be the case. I don't want to discuss this in depth though, because...

"Until a statement is provided from either Community Manager, grievances and concerns regarding moderation will not be tolerated in any section of these forums. This is in accordance with the Terms of Use of any Ankama affiliated game or website. You have been provided with the correct procedures for having your feelings heard. The only people who will be able to read the messages you send by email or Ankabox will be Sabi and Troyle." (-Atdose)

This was posted on another Mod discussion thread, which may have been missed. Please beware this topic. It sounds like they are getting to the bottom of it and want the community to chill until they can solve the issue(s).

This post has been edited by cbunny - January 04, 2014, 13:49:20.
posté January 04, 2014, 14:06:52 | #3

Quote (cbunny @ 04 January 2014 13:45) *
You do have to bare in mind that mods are not paid, they are volunteers. I'm sure if Ankama had more resources, that wouldn't be the case. I don't want to discuss this in depth though, because...

"Until a statement is provided from either Community Manager, grievances and concerns regarding moderation will not be tolerated in any section of these forums. This is in accordance with the Terms of Use of any Ankama affiliated game or website. You have been provided with the correct procedures for having your feelings heard. The only people who will be able to read the messages you send by email or Ankabox will be Sabi and Troyle." (-Atdose)

This was posted on another Mod discussion thread, which may have been missed. Please beware this topic. It sounds like they are getting to the bottom of it and want the community to chill until they can solve the issue(s).
Well I was not aware of that but thank you for bringing it to my attention.

In that case, I suppose my thread is breaking the rules and should be removed.

Wilder than Wild Dragoturkey * Member Since 2012-08-27
posté January 04, 2014, 14:14:29 | #4
Ankama should hire better employees period

Bellaphone Lover * Member Since 2012-04-24
posté January 04, 2014, 14:24:07 | #5

Quote (cbunny @ 04 January 2014 13:45) *

Sounds like one of Ankama's infamous pacifying techniques to me. Wouldn't be surprised if the inbox was full and just left... Not saying Sabi and Troyle are responsible for doing that, more so that I don't trust the source (Ankama).

Grizzled Dandelion * Member Since 2012-08-29
posté January 04, 2014, 14:25:07 | #6

Spoiler: (highlight to show)
I think the biggest issue with the Mods for me is they should never ever feel the need to keep their conversation with a player private, the player should however be able to speak in a PM and be confident their conversation is kept private.

I volunteer for a place down the road, and even though I'm not paid I do keep a professional manner, when working with the public you should always maintain a sense of profession. From what I'm seeing here on the forums some Mods have failed to do this, you should stay very clear from accusations. You can say "your comment may be considered as x,y or z" but never "you were being x,y or z".

Companies put tight restrictions in place in order to keep peace, these restrictions are there to call upon in circumstances where things MUST be changed to maintain a positive reflection in the public eye, Mods need to consider this.
To avoid a wall of text i put my other opinions above in a spoiler box, my main point is below.

Many (seemingly obscure) rules are not enforced 100% of the time in businesses all over the world, simply because although they may apply to a circumstance taking action upon some circumstances can create a problem when there was never one originally.

For example saying you shouldn't deviate from a subject in a forum and one or two people mention a different subject and briefly discuss it while still making comment on the forums subject, so long as the majority of posts stay about the topic at hand and it doesn't over shadow the topic in question this should not be an issue and should be overlooked. This is not an imperial organisation you are running, you are a Mod you are here to allow people to socialize and share their opinion (within reason)

This post has been edited by Jebusiscomingrun - January 04, 2014, 14:34:43.
Wilder than Wild Dragoturkey * Member Since 2012-02-29
posté January 04, 2014, 16:57:28 | #7
Ya... They shouldn't use players.. Especially from Nox. It's to unpredictable.

Brakmar's News Anchor * Member Since 2012-03-05
posté January 04, 2014, 18:17:03 | #8
I should be made a MOD. I'd make it fun, and easy out the playing field for everyone.—Tulish 

This post has been edited by lealr - January 04, 2014, 18:17:26.
posté January 04, 2014, 19:01:59 | #9

Quote (lealr @ 04 January 2014 18:17) *
I should be made a MOD. I'd make it fun, and easy out the playing field for everyone.—Tulish
Great job at completely missing the point of the thread!

posté January 04, 2014, 19:27:43 | #10
I'd say it's a cool idea, & there are players that would do a great job, but there's so many bad eggs to sort through.

Not so Hairy Moon * Member Since 2012-07-03
posté January 04, 2014, 23:30:21 | #11
I do not think that they should use players at moderators. But I only feel this way because they have chosen two very unprofessional players to mod. Both of them have been discussed in another thread and again I plead that both of them are removed. Some people have proven to be incapable of handling positions of power.

This post has been edited by [MOD]Masama - January 05, 2014, 00:29:21.
Reason for edit : Removed some stuff. :(
Soft Crackler * Member Since 2013-05-10
posté January 05, 2014, 00:21:11 | #12
The French forum has player mods and the moderating is good, it can definitively work if the right people are chosen. They even have mods that roleplay their messages, one mod for instance roleplays a xelor in his moderating messages, it's pretty cool. But make no mistake, his messages are all very professional unlike the moderating messages here.

It's also worth mentioning that good grammar/spelling rules on the French forum are more respected than here (although also often ignored). Here if you criticize someone's grammar, your post gets deleted for "flaming" even though right here it says "Write correctly. Text-talk will not be tolerated blah blah". What kind of upside-down moderating is that? This rule is completely ignored.

Senior Moderator * Member Since 2012-04-25
posté January 05, 2014, 00:26:55 | #13

Quote (Noobility @ 05 January 2014 00:21) *
It's also worth mentioning that good grammar/spelling rules on the French forum are more respected than here (although also often ignored). Here if you criticize someone's grammar, your post gets deleted for "flaming" even though right here it says "Write correctly. Text-talk will not be tolerated blah blah". What kind of upside-down moderating is that? This rule is completely ignored.

Hi!

We don't remove posts correcting spelling/grammar (at least to my knowledge) unless it's done in an aggressive / offensive way.

Also I'll keep this thread open because I believe in the ability to speak freely, just avoid name shaming and outright offensive remarks!

Thanks!

Soft Crackler * Member Since 2013-05-10
posté January 05, 2014, 00:35:44 | #14
Yet if someone posts a message in incomprehensible English nothing is ever done to correct that. I don't mean a couple of typos, just flat-out incomprehensible. Last time people criticized someone for their English a mod came in and said that they might be a foreigner so it's a-OK. That's a far cry from "Txt-talk will not be tolerated at all, good grammar and spelling is essential." Clearly it's not essential, bad spelling is even protected.

posté January 05, 2014, 01:19:12 | #15
If you guys don't mind, may we please continue this topic? I'd like to read opinions myself.  

posté January 05, 2014, 02:33:46 | #16
Well if we are free to discuss ^^...

Having mods that also play the game is a conflict of interest, certainly. They do care about the game, which is necessary, but perhaps they care too much about certain aspects to be objective 100% of the time. I suppose they would keep each other in check as a team but I can see how it could cause issues. If Ankama could hire moderators I'm sure they would be more objective, but would they be as passionate? There needs to be a balance.
I'm not sure how this can be reached. One idea I had is cross over from their games. Recruit players from Dofus to Mod Wakfu and vise versa, not able to have an active account on the game they moderate the forums of. These people are passionate enough about the world of Dofus/Wakfu, but still are able to be objective.

posté January 05, 2014, 02:42:40 | #17

Quote (cbunny @ 05 January 2014 02:33) *
Well if we are free to discuss ^^...

Having mods that also play the game is a conflict of interest, certainly.
That is not 100% true. Mods, who play the game can easier get to the core of the problem set sometimes imho. This here is just a matter of the conscientiousness of a person put as a MOD and who is at same time has personal interests in some matter. As someone was mentioning already, it would be good if there would be possible in the latter case for the MOD (if he carries any personal interest in the topic/case) to hand over the moderation of the current problem to someone who isn't involved so closely. Yes, we could get Dofus mods here, just how efficient that would be? In long term of course it would, but in a short term?

posté January 05, 2014, 02:49:22 | #18
@Finroy: Hmm. I would say the senior moderators should stay put and it might be a better way to get new moderators in the future. For now they could just switch their (junior?*) moderators until the drama dies down. No idea how practical or easy that would be to do.
*These would be the mods that strictly deal with wrong topic, inappropriate language, and other basic forum rules. The small busy work while the senior mods deal with the messier issues. I'm assuming there is some sort of hierarchy to it?

Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2011-03-01
posté January 05, 2014, 02:53:27 | #19
I had full intentions to make one of our ever so popular petitions about having a specific volunteer moderator removed from the position.

However the reason I haven't gone ahead and done it already is I am waiting for two things:

Sabi to return so we can see what happens and
A senior moderators permission.

As of right now I do not know which moderator to talk to about it which is also why i'm waiting for sabis return. I fear that if I do not get a senior moderators permission and have them keep an eye on the thread a junior will simply lock it.

It is in my most polite opinion that as a community we can all agree that the specific person shouldn't be in the position they are in maybe if we all got together and did an organized petition while being civil and not causing more drama somebody (Sabi or Moon) will listen to our concern.

I hope this post isn't breaking any rules as I tried my hardest to keep it as clean as possible of any name shaming but if that is not the case please let me know masama or make any corrections yourself.

posté January 05, 2014, 04:32:20 | #20
Let's be honest and logical here. Wakfu doesn't pay Moderators and they are all Wakfu players that volunteer.

What would be the one and only incentive to apply? Power. Ego. Bragging rights.

Don't give me the 'We do it to better the community', 'We do it because we love the game so much' I don't buy that. If that was the goal we would not be having these problems.

Thread closed