Back to forum.wakfu.com

By continuing to browse this website, you consent to the use of cookies, which enable us to offer you customised content and to collect site-visit statistics.
Click on this link for more information on cookies, and to customise your cookie preferences. X

No flash

Should Ankama hire Wakfu players as Moderators?

Thread closed

Ambitious Crackapult * Member Since 2011-12-01
posté January 05, 2014, 08:47:55 | #21

Quote (xCATZILAx @ 05 January 2014 04:32) *
Let's be honest and logical here. Wakfu doesn't pay Moderators and they are all Wakfu players that volunteer.

What would be the one and only incentive to apply? Power. Ego. Bragging rights.

Don't give me the 'We do it to better the community', 'We do it because we love the game so much' I don't buy that. If that was the goal we would not be having these problems.
Really? You don't think there are any people that just like to help?

How is there bragging rights if they don't reveal who they are in game?

Personally when I post my simple guides or charts, I don't do it for an ego trip. Yes, it is nice to hear that people read it as work was put into it, but with my relatively low expectations, I generally expect most to ignore what I write (hoping at least one or two take a look). In the end though what I write is mostly as reminders for myself and if they helps others, then kudos to that.

When I worked retail, while of course a company likes it when you are helpful, but when not payed in commission, you don't have much intensive. I still took the time to learn all there was about what I was selling so that I could help people find what they are looking for or something that would fit their situation. I did that as extra with no bonus and maybe only a thank you here or there, but I still did it for others. I could have been like other employee's that I worked with that barely knew what they were selling and generally got the same hours and pay (evil retail....), but I didn't.

Now of course I only talked about myself there because that is who I know. Many people have their own circumstances and I'm sure you're not completely wrong in that some people love to have their ego's stroked, but to say that everyone is like that is a bit narrow minded.

- Kat

Not so Hairy Moon * Member Since 2006-01-31
posté January 05, 2014, 08:59:45 | #22
Maybe if you guys didn't break the rules to call out the mods, you wouldn't get moderated, and then you wouldn't be having mod issues in the first place?

I don't have issues with the mods because I don't break the rules expecting my posts to stay and then getting extremely upset when they aren't still there in the morning. If I break the rules, I do it fully accepting that my posts are going to be edited or gone.

Just try it. Just pretend that there are no mod problems and use the forums in a normal manner, and, guess what? There will be no mod problems. All this is is just whiny paranoid self-fulfilling prophecies circling the drain.

Can't wait for the exodus, then maybe new players can make threads asking if the game's worth playing without being told not to based on the population being too low (I wonder why) and the mods can finally unclench and we can go back to the relatively loose and forgiving moderation we've had in the past.

btw: Calling everyone who disagrees with you a moderator or a moderator's friend should be a bannable offense. People are getting chased off the forums for being "too mod-like" or for not getting their posts removed along with the furious minority and it is getting ridiculous, not to mention unfair for the accused who cannot ever battle the accusation as it requires the mod's word.

It's like if you accuse someone of being, say, a witch. All they can do is say "I am not a witch!" and if you choose not to believe them, there's nothing they can do about it. Then you chase them with your pitchforks until they either use their witch magic to kill you, leave, or you drive them out of the forums/game.

Not to yank anyone's chain or anything, but it's a striking correlation.

This post has been edited by Hudski - January 05, 2014, 09:06:36.
Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2008-11-24
posté January 05, 2014, 13:49:28 | #23
I also agree some are being a bit to dramatic over the mods, i have been around for quite a while and haven't seen any problem (even when there were only 2 mods around)...

Wilder than Wild Dragoturkey * Member Since 2012-02-29
posté January 06, 2014, 18:29:24 | #24
If this helps at all... I've hosted 2 events in the past week. 2 Mods have been helping quite a bit, just for the sake of supporting the events! Both Lixst & Atdose have helped me drop items for my Astrub drop event, & both of them also attended my Dojo last night to listen in to questions being answered, & me explaining the dodge/lock system.

They both acted exactly how any other mod would have acted during an event. I loved having them for support!  

Squited Arachnee * Member Since 2011-05-07
posté January 06, 2014, 21:23:50 | #25
It is in my opinion that most Moderators should be Ankama employees, period. This comes both with privileges (A direct link with their employer, more trust and better tools and remunerated work) and responsibilities (No biases with the player-base, as much as that can be afforded and enforced impartiality when handling cases) and should they also have a regular player account it should be powerless and publicly disclosed, then allow them to play with just a few restrictions, just like the way Troyle had been playing in Dathura, and that's it.

Many of the rules currently in place and the way the moderation team is structured ended up causing needless grief (Name-calling, public shaming, baseless allegations of players being Mods and the other way around, favoritism) which I do think is partly fueled by the fact moderation is a volunteer position and they need to keep two separate personas, even for Senior Moderators (Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand only Troyle and Sabi are Ankama employees) and thus only a few Junior Moderators as volunteers with limited power ought to be required.

I'm aware Ankama doesn't have unlimited resources and they've been spreading themselves far too thin, and unfortunately, the North American community tends to be quite neglected. Taking this free weekend as an example, with no announcements of any form or shape in the website, and just an in-game broadcast announcing its presence, but I do think this is a pressing issue. We just want better communication overall.

Wilder than Wild Dragoturkey * Member Since 2012-01-06
posté January 07, 2014, 01:25:49 | #26
I feel that these type of mods should exist. However, I feel they should have limited power on the forums. I also feel the ones in game should not be able to assist in the servers they are a part of; I feel they should assist another servers community.

Wilder than Wild Dragoturkey * Member Since 2012-02-29
posté January 07, 2014, 03:13:41 | #27

Quote (androgyous @ 07 January 2014 01:25) *
I feel that these type of mods should exist. However, I feel they should have limited power on the forums. I also feel the ones in game should not be able to assist in the servers they are a part of; I feel they should assist another servers community.
I kind of have to side with you here. Limited power on the forums would probably help, or perhaps more training could be given. In game mods could also be moved to other servers like you said, but I haven't ran across any so far that have stepped out of line compared to other in game mods. They have all proved (at least to me) to be very helpful.

Happy Miliboowolf * Member Since 2012-01-24
posté January 07, 2014, 05:24:37 | #28
Tangents Tangents Tangents.

The question at hand is Should Ankama hire Wakfu players as Moderators?

We all know Moderators are necessary for the forums.

Also, that retail analogy, terrible. Moderators volunteer, you worked for pay.

Nun Shall Pass * Member Since 2012-01-23
posté January 07, 2014, 05:24:59 | #29
I personally believe that mods being players is absolutely okay, and would rather have that than non-players.

On a side note, what company pays people to JUST moderate forums? It sounds like the dumbest job ever, and I would kill myself if I was being payed to waste my life doing so.

posté January 07, 2014, 06:00:29 | #30
Just run a reality show to decide the mods. Amakna's Next Top Moderator.

Happy Miliboowolf * Member Since 2012-04-11
posté January 07, 2014, 09:07:37 | #31

Quote (xCATZILAx @ 07 January 2014 05:24) *

We all know Moderators are necessary for the forums.

Also, that retail analogy, terrible. Moderators volunteer, you worked for pay.
Absolutely should be players.

I've been a moderator on every single forum I've ever been a part of besides this one and I'll tell you what happens when you let any random who shows up but isn't heavily invested in the community mod.

All your mods go super-AFK and you end up in a perpetual cycle of replacing them with 10minute temps that you lose 10 minutes later.

Much like the population of most servers.

Unlike most forumgoers I am perfectly happy with everything I've seen from the moderators. The closest thing I've seen to a legitimate grievance is the premature closing of threads.

In those instances, I'd highly recommend just remaking the thread with very specific requests at civility and that any lack thereof will be ignored and not tolerated.

Since the mod team came to be I've had one direct instance of mailing a moderator in game about my concerns regarding payment for ogrines. Not only was the mod civil and well mannered, he made sure to follow up with me very quickly in and out of game and verified that I was just being paranoid about some slow purchase.

I have a feeling a great majority of the people who are not happy have been allowed to get away with far to much in the past, especially in the Wild West days of SE when almost anything was allowed.

tl;dr;

Wakfu playing Mods are Madd approved.

Soft Crackler * Member Since 2012-02-29
posté January 07, 2014, 13:29:09 | #32
Of course you wouldn't see anything wrong with that the mods are doing, that's the point, posts are deleted and unless you happen to be in the 5 minute window after it is posted you can't make your own judgement whether you think it's correct or not. The thread that spurred the "revolution" was late at night and I doubt you have seen it. It's funny all these "People are overreacting, mods are totally right bro" people have no idea what they're talking about.

posté January 07, 2014, 13:41:27 | #33

Quote (Noobility @ 07 January 2014 13:29) *
Of course you wouldn't see anything wrong with that the mods are doing, that's the point, posts are deleted and unless you happen to be in the 5 minute window after it is posted you can't make your own judgement whether you think it's correct or not. The thread that spurred the "revolution" was late at night and I doubt you have seen it. It's funny all these "People are overreacting, mods are totally right bro" people have no idea what they're talking about.

I was here to see everything and think people are overreacting, mods are totally right bro.

What dismissal statement that spares you the trouble of making a post that matters are you going to say next?

Squited Arachnee * Member Since 2011-05-07
posté January 07, 2014, 16:41:26 | #34

Quote (xCATZILAx @ 07 January 2014 05:24) *

Hire moderators from players? Sure, of course. They need to know the game and the community deeply to begin with. Should Ankama offer volunteer positions as moderators to Wakfu players? Maybe, with more limited power. That's what I was trying to get to.

My hypothesis is that precisely because Ankama didn't hire but rather offer a volunteer position to our current mod team, there is a lot of misunderstanding from both them and the community.

EDIT: I'm not implying that all current mods are just "in it" for ego-stroking. I just think such a position with this kind of responsibility should be part of a job and not just a volunteer position. Which is also why Ankama is probably hesitant about it.

This post has been edited by FurmentalAlchemy - January 07, 2014, 17:01:13.
Reason for edit : Clarification
Soft Crackler * Member Since 2012-02-29
posté January 07, 2014, 17:19:57 | #35

Quote (Hudski @ 07 January 2014 13:41) *

I was here to see everything and think people are overreacting, mods are totally right bro.

What dismissal statement that spares you the trouble of making a post that matters are you going to say next?
That's funny cause I didn't see you post until the next morning, where you had fun trolling people and calling them stupid.

Nun Shall Pass * Member Since 2012-01-23
posté January 07, 2014, 18:18:07 | #36

The thread that spurred the "revolution" was late at night and I doubt you have seen it. It's funny all these "People are overreacting, mods are totally right bro" people have no idea what they're talking about.

Everyone: no one is allowed to give an opinion unless you saw the thread in the 5 mins before it disappeared! If you weren't there, you're automatically ignorant and your opinion is worthless!

This post has been edited by SSBKewkky - January 07, 2014, 18:18:32.
Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2010-10-06
posté January 07, 2014, 18:27:23 | #37

Quote (Noobility @ 07 January 2014 17:19) *

That's funny cause I didn't see you post until the next morning, where you had fun trolling people and calling them stupid.
He wasn't there he had me "recap" it to him on skype.

Ecstatic Whisperer * Member Since 2012-01-04
posté January 07, 2014, 18:31:50 | #38
People are really just so bored with Wakfu that they have to gripe at what's going on with their posts on the forums...

The forums are now a better source of entertainment than the game o.o

posté January 07, 2014, 21:06:49 | #39

Quote (MiniMikeh @ 07 January 2014 18:27) *

Quote (Noobility @ 07 January 2014 17:19) *

He wasn't there he had me "recap" it to him on skype.

Only one thread. I've been here for other community freakouts before this, ya silly, and they're all the same damn thing every time.

Actually, they've gotten worse over time.

Overweighted Chafer * Member Since 2005-08-02
posté January 07, 2014, 22:32:39 | #40
So basically the anti mod crowd is saying here's how i feel and my feelings should be everyone's primary concern. The pro mod crowd is saying your feelings don't matter, and by the way you are not only wrong but retarded as well. Can't we all just get back together and kill Grou?

Thread closed