Back to forum.wakfu.com

No flash

Ankama needs your help!!
Narcissistic Larva * Member Since 2014-01-17
posté January 28, 2014, 23:11:32 | #41
Haha, wow, a lot has happened since I've been gone.

To clarify, I'm not in any way affiliated with Ankama. I joined about a week and a bit ago when I wanted to inquire about the order that the manga was to be read in. (I don't know if it links through my account or not, but you can check it out if you'd like.) The timing of the Kickstarter just happened to coincide quite... well, coincidentally with my joining. (Haha, an Ankama employee with a randomly Zelda-themed name?)

Secondly, yes, I'm an overly-zealous, and overly-optimistic new fan to the series. This means I know very little about Ankama as a whole, and thus haven't had the experience with them that you all have had with the game. That said, these are two very different products, and are to be dealt with differently. Perhaps Ankama is just much better at dealing with shows than with games.

Thirdly, Ankama has stated that they haven't yet decided their roster of voice actors for the show, thus the ones used in the promo will likely not make it into the final dubbing. Given the fan reaction to them, it's more and more likely that they won't.

Fourthly, as I and many others have mentioned, they are offering much much more than just the dub for those who contribute, meaning you aren't just paying for a dub, but rather, also for professional subbing, hard copies, merch, in-game stuff, and for those willing to shell out the money, awesome statues/busts, and a trip to France. Ankama's primary goal with this Kickstarter is to bring popularity to the franchise over here to NA, where they can earn more money to grow their company. I'm not sure why this concept has been seen as money-grubbing extortion when a) it's a freaking business, and businesses need to profit from expanding their audience, and b) this will all end up coming back into the company, where they'll be able to have more talent working on their products, actually improving them.

I'm not sure what has happened to you all, to have turned you into cynics, but I hope you can logically see where this Kickstarter is headed, and can recognise the growing potential for the company to improve on everything. I'm not asking you to donate if you're really strapped for cash, but if you have some hanging around not really doing anything, you can get us all rewarded pretty darn well by investing it into the Kickstarter

Quote (Drelkag @ 26 January 2014 22:52) *

On topic: Anyone know what the item redeemable in game is? Can't find anything on it.

Haha, as it turns out, it's not all that much. It's the straw hat Nox the Xelor wears in the first episode

Lazy Bow Meow * Member Since 2012-04-17
posté January 28, 2014, 23:43:25 | #42

Quote (Hylian-Scientist @ 28 January 2014 23:11) *
I'm not sure what has happened to you all, to have turned you into cynics
They don't understand why a company might hesitate to dedicate manpower to a game that has essentially been deserted in America. It's pretty miraculous they even kept the American servers going after distribution defaulted back over from Sqeenix since Ankama is probably bleeding money from keeping them open.

Ecstatic Whisperer * Member Since 2012-02-20
posté January 29, 2014, 00:10:48 | #43

Quote (Hylian-Scientist @ 28 January 2014 23:11) *
I'm not sure what has happened to you all, to have turned you into cynics.
We played Wakfu and dealt with Ankama for two years.

Teethless Sharkie * Member Since 2012-01-27
posté January 29, 2014, 00:17:32 | #44
The anime is very good and worth funding just to get the blu rays (which will come with the french audio if you don't happen to like the dub or prefer it over the dub). The advertising is a major bonus and can only help the game, and I feel that alone is a good enough incentive for funding it. Also, read this from Tot: Click here

This post has been edited by deandip - January 29, 2014, 00:22:40.
Short Strich * Member Since 2011-12-07
posté January 29, 2014, 00:25:52 | #45

Quote (Drelkag @ 26 January 2014 16:35) *

Quote (Jwguy @ 26 January 2014 08:05) *

Since it appears that you're referring to myself, along with a collective of doomsayers, I'll refer you to my first few posts, where I explained my reasoning in entirety.

As expected, the enthusiasts have come, blinded by their love for the game, unable to see any argument that suggests it might soon be fading away, no matter what contemporary issues support it.

I've read your posts, but I'm having trouble making sense of them.

You admit yourself you feel like Ankama isn't throwing manpower and funding at the game that you feel isn't in the best shape, that maybe the company itself is going down. Why do you feel they should take the risk to fund the project themselves, that is even if they could, after pitching the idea beforehand trying to bring it out of France but heard nothing back? It'd be a bad move any way you look at it.

That and how you say they're charging the playerbase for the funding, it couldn't be further from the truth. A community manager on Twitter said social media like Tumblr is bringing far more traffic in than the games website. The show had a cult following in the animation scene for awhile now, and anime-themed sites are advertising the Kickstarter and there's where most of the funding comes from. Check the comments on the Kickstarter page, there's a few asking about the game. If anything the Kickstarter is bringing people to the game, not the other way around.

Again, I read your posts. But the impression it gives is someone taking out aggression on Ankama because of personal issues. I can't see it as anything more. True talk.

I can see how you're having trouble understanding, as you appear to be inserting more meaning into things than was originally present, which is reinforcing your desire to see the argument as absurd. We call that the Strawman Fallacy.

For example, I never said the company should fund the project, at all, much less themselves; I don't really hate it, but it hasn't grown on me to the point of wanting a dvd set, either, to be honest. I just pointed out that while the game is struggling, funding and manpower are at what appears to be extremely low, and community has been losing steam, aside from the handful of enthusiasts, Ankama is offering to sell players a localized anime via Kickstarter, rather than proceed with the project based on their own initiative. If it were only the latter, it'd be just as you say. Practical business. The fact that all of these things seem to be happening at the same time, and the situation hasn't seemed to have had improvement despite measures taken, however, indicates that there may be much more terrible news on the way. Call it "Doomsaying" all you wish, but it is based in reason. Blind optimism will only leave us more disappointed when the end does eventually come... which it will. The truth of the matter is that it is foolish to think that any MMO will last forever, much less a game that, while fantastic, is relegated to a niche community, at best.

In regards to the later half of your post, I think you're just being optimistic, and attempting to use what you hope is the case as an argument against what is happening. We can hope all day that Ankama banks some hefty free advertising and a huge influx in the community after this, but the fact remains that in order to get the DVD set, Ankama is charging players. The difference between these things, aside from the obvious bit about them not being mutually exclusive cases is that one is actually happening. Ankama put a Kickstarter up, regardless of what you or I believe is their true intentions or financial situation, for the purposes of selling the anime. That's what they're doing, and that's what players are paying for. They even mention that they might attempt to use the Kickstarter in an attempt to sell the series over seas to networks, on the Kickstarter itself. So, yes, the players are footing the cost, and are serving as a marketing tool that Ankama can possibly use for leverage later, for their own profit. I won't argue morality (Though I will state that I don't think it's wrong; Just ominous) for it.

All the other things you're mentioning are possibilities, maybe even relatively plausible ones, but that's all they are. It appears you're making explanations for the actions rather than letting the actions speak for themselves. Beyond that, it also comes across that you're assigning negative intonation to arguments that contradict or oppose your own; I say that because while I can see, and accept, being called a doomsayer because I am commenting on the very possible, and to me, rather probable, reality that the game may be going under, soon. Going beyond that, however, you appear to be trying to assign personal issues, from a comment stating that I also had an issue that support has been unable to attend to, and trying to turn my argument into a "rage against the machine" archetype, in order to dismiss it much more easily. I've only ever had one issue with Ankama, that being trying to come back and being unable to pay for a subscription, and I'd like to think I've taken it in stride. Having seen the state of affairs on the support and the forums has given me cause to ponder just how long Wakfu will continue, however. I remain ever hopeful that the game will survive, as I truly do love and enjoy it.

I'm just not willing to be ignorant to the possibility, nor willing to be quiet because people dislike the notion being presented to them that, you know, their fun might end, soon.

This post has been edited by Jwguy - January 29, 2014, 00:47:47.
posté January 29, 2014, 03:47:11 | #46

Quote (Jwguy @ 29 January 2014 00:25) *
...the fact remains that in order to get the DVD set, Ankama is charging players.
First and foremost, I'd like to commend you on your simple summary of business practices. This is indeed how companies go about acquiring funds in return for goods.

And before you go saying that that's not what you meant, I don't think you know just how much it is actually what you implied. Ankama is a struggling company, and as such, needs the support of others to be able to continue producing quality materials before they can get back up on their feet again. This isn't seen as money-grabbing, or greed, in the business world, but rather as a form of being able to continue doing what we expect them to, at the rate we expect them to. Kickstarter exists so that these companies that have dreams can get funded *via donation* (Not extortion) to make those dreams a reality. I don't know if you read the update from Tot that deandip posted about, but it is a very heartfelt message from one of the creators of the Krosmoz, detailing his passion and vision for the animated series. Sure, there's always the possibility that he's lying through his teeth to gain sympathy, but if that's true, the man is a freaking Shakespearean wordsmith of emotions, which I find unlikely. More likely to me is that he genuinely does care about his series, and is asking us *if we feel so inclined* to help him make the series a possibility, and to see it grow. This is not milking, it is not duping. We, as backers, genuinely love and care for this series, and are more than willing to donate to help it come alive again. Heck, we even get some absolutely amazing rewards in return for it. Honestly, for anyone in the $40 tier, they are getting more than what they're paying for in merch, not to mention with free shipping.

Yes, you are probably right in your sentiment that Ankama could go under if they fail to get enough funding. However, I have a very strong feeling you're absolutely wrong in assuming that this Kickstarter does nothing to change that. If the Kickstarter gets fully funded, it will open up the opportunity to spread the community watching it from a potential ~74 million people to a combined total of just under 450 million people. Now, that is the number of English and French speaking people in the world, so you can obviously assume that it's only a small portion watching it, but think of how many multiples of the original target audience that new figure is. It could mean astronomical improvements in financial terms for Ankama, as well as gaining the exposure of debatably the most influential language-speakers in the world. This Kickstarter could get Ankama's foot in the door of a major audience, and could very, very easily turn their situation around entirely. This Kickstarter could be absolutely massive for them if they can get enough funding. Seeing the major support behind them could get major networks to notice Ankama, and from there, the company could explode out into the world of recognition.

In all, I'm going to put it at this: Ankama needs your help!!
If we can get anyone with even 5 spare bucks (Roughly the same as a freaking Happy Meal here in Canada) to donate, the sheer number of backers would catch the eye of a network that Ankama approached. Even better for your value, if you have $40 lying around, you can get all of the seasons and OAVs we back in Blu-Ray form, free of shipping costs, as well as a sweet t-shirt, and other small things. I honestly don't see where the whole "evil corporation stealing our money" sentiment comes from! They're struggling; they asked for help; we help them; they get major recognition; they pour back into the company. It's a basic spend-money-to-earn-money tactic, but Ankama needs help getting the money in the first place. But we're honestly just paying for a service the same way anyone pays anyone for services; we'll be able to reap what we sow in terms on Ankama giving back to us simply by becoming a bigger company!

I'm not going to ask anyone who can't help out to draw themselves thin for this cause. They can receive the benefits of those of us who are fortunate enough to scrape together our daily needs and have some left over afterwards. But if you're only holding back because "it's futile" or "Big Ankama" is trying to steal our money, I implore you to rethink your perspective, and see this project for what it is: a need for help, to make the awesome things that you seem to be demanding from them. Game has issues with being understaffed? Help pay for new staff. Game isn't feeling fully polished? Help pay for new software staff. This isn't a "Here, take my money for free" situation; we're paying for Ankama to reach a larger audience, and in turn, they're giving us loads of freaking awesome stuff, and they're going to pour back into the company when they get on their feet! It's the freaking stock exchange, but instead of getting physical money back, we're getting loads of awesome stuff, and improved products.

I'm sorry for turning this into a repetitive rant, but good grief, someone needs to set the record straight. Please get this bias out of your perspective, and help a company that we all can agree has made some things worth paying for! Even if it means donating a dollar, everything helps.

DOFUS Community Manager * Member Since 2009-10-19
posté January 29, 2014, 11:01:03 | #47
Hello Wakfusians!

Sorry for butting in on a Wakfu discussion, but as I'm one of the people working on the Kickstarter, I hope it won't be too intrusive if I clarify a few things and then I'll leave you be.

The purpose of this Kickstarter is to help fund the English dub of the Wakfu animated series so that we (Ankama) can offer it to broadcasting partners in English-language markets. We have been trying to offer the un-dubbed animated series to companies like Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Disney, and other animation-focused broadcasters for a while now, but, as you might know if you've watched some of the show, Wakfu is rather different from most of the shows that these networks are doing. Broadcasting a different type of show is risky, and if you add the cost of dubbing it's even more risky which is why none of them have been eager to spend the money to dub the shows into English for themselves.

That's why we've turned to the fans and to Kickstarter to create a dub without the help of these companies.

The Blu-rays that are created to send to the backers will not be offered for sale after the Kickstarter is over (with the possible exception of some copies that may be available at this year's Ankama Convention). They are part of the campaign because we want to offer the people who are backing us their own copy of what they are helping to create - the dubbed version of the series.

When the campaign is over and the dubbing is complete, we will start by contacting VOD services like Netflix and Hulu to seek distribution in the US and other English-speaking countries.

Thanks for reading, and have a good one. =)

posté January 29, 2014, 12:07:25 | #48
Thanks for all of the clarifications Izmar!

I'm super excited to hear about your guys' intent to approach Netflix and Hulu. I really hope the show catches their eye enough to make a deal of it!

As an aside about my previous messages, sorry for any misinformed statements I may have made. Hopefully I wasn't too far off the mark though.

Teethless Sharkie * Member Since 2012-05-30
posté January 29, 2014, 12:36:51 | #49
Please don't call it anime and manga, it's insulting towards Asian work. Call it comic and cartoon.

The difference between a French comic and Japanese Manga:

Different art, lately Frenchies try to rip them off. (Ever since 1998)

Time: French comics take a few months to complete, be it a chapter of 24/52 pages where as a Japanese manga comes out every week or so. (Won't go into quality and success)

Anime/Cartoon same thing, time,art,ripoff, +the horrible voice acting.

DOFUS Community Manager * Member Since 2009-10-19
posté January 29, 2014, 12:50:09 | #50

Quote (Hylian-Scientist @ 29 January 2014 12:07) *
Thanks for all of the clarifications Izmar!

I'm super excited to hear about your guys' intent to approach Netflix and Hulu. I really hope the show catches their eye enough to make a deal of it!

As an aside about my previous messages, sorry for any misinformed statements I may have made. Hopefully I wasn't too far off the mark though.

No worries! There is a section of the Kickstarter page that talks about all of this, but I'm not sure how many people read it (the page is a bit long). Here's what it says:

Created by fan for fans, the WAKFU series started out with great support from the French public. Thanks to the internet and online communities, the success of WAKFU has even crossed borders and you are likely to be one of many who has been waiting for this adaptation of the series into English! We have seen this on a daily basis at signing events, on forums, even at conventions where we have met our growing community.

We are very attached to our characters and we want to see them evolve.

Kickstarter gives us the opportunity to continue to keep these characters alive and dream that their new adventures will reach new audiences. Ideally, season1, season 2, and the two special episodes which have only aired in France so far will be able to be dubbed in English but we’re depending on you to tell us how high we can fly!

For the WAKFU series to remain true to itself we wanted to make sure any English dub is of good quality, which is particularly expensive. Therefore we choose to use Kickstarter, which also allows us to get to know you directly and gives you a chance to get personally involved with a major animation project.

We invite you to take on this challenge with us! If we are successful, this project will make WAKFU stronger worldwide. It will also allow us to offer the series for broadcast on all digital and VOD platforms.

And if we can meet our stretch goals, not only will we be able to offer English and Spanish subtitles for all the episodes but we are also producing 3 exclusive episodes of 45 minutes each for French broadcasting that could also be dubbed into English. And who knows? If you tell us you’re ready, perhaps we could start to dream about the possibility of a Season 3!

The campaign will cover the financing of part of the dubbing and the creation of the various backer rewards including the Blu-Rays and related content (episodes subtitles and bonus content, as well as creation of specific campaign bonuses).

Dubbing will be done by a specialized studio; it will include more than 11 hours of dubbing (for Season 1) corresponding to more than 30 characters in the Wakfu series.

Wilder than Wild Dragoturkey * Member Since 2011-07-05
posté January 29, 2014, 15:24:30 | #51
[Moderated Quote Removed]

A delectable world, these forums are. This is the usual state of the forums, although yes sometimes its so extreme or inexcusable that you cant help but be filled with wonder how such things exists.

Quote (Mikutza @ 29 January 2014 12:36) *
Please don't call it anime and manga, it's insulting towards Asian work. Call it comic and cartoon.

Time: French comics take a few months to complete, be it a chapter of 24/52 pages where as a Japanese manga comes out every week or so. (Won't go into quality and success)

Just so you know there are such things as impressions, people are effected by the work of those around them. Some people grow up enjoying anime (and might still enjoy it) and that tends to have an impact on what you think others might enjoy.
Also, there has been 'recent' development on a French-Japanese magical girl animation, so it's certainly doesn't seem like the Japanese community has shunned France for such things.

This post has been edited by [Sabi] - January 30, 2014, 20:10:07.
Reason for edit : [Forums Rules of Conduct - Quoting as Moderated Post]
Squited Arachnee * Member Since 2011-05-07
posté January 29, 2014, 15:44:51 | #52

While it is technically incorrect to call Ankama comics "manga" I do think it has to do more with the format over the style (Which is quite varied itself among Japanese proper manga). In turn, it is also technically incorrect to call Wakfu an "anime", though the style makes it seem clearly reminescent of Japanese animation as it is usually known, yet with its own spin, as I believe it is part of an artistic wave in French-produced media in general, which started in the late 90's / early 00's and still exists until now.

Short Strich * Member Since 2012-02-09
posté January 29, 2014, 16:52:09 | #53

Eh, in Japan, the terms "Anime" and "Manga" are used to refer to all types of cartoons and comic books respectively. It's just literally their words for that. They don't draw a distinction, unless they actually add "japanese" or "western" or whatever in front as a qualifier.

Furthermore, the original animes and manga actually drew inspiration from western art, and then evolved their own style.

Also, that ship has sailed already: EN.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/OEL_manga

The terms are already being used to refer to japanese-inspired art, to the extent that there's a Wikipedia (which is NPOV) article on the subject. The way language evolves, it won't be long before it all comes full circle. Give up, you have no chance to survive, make your time. :o

posté January 30, 2014, 18:51:04 | #54
Alright, [Text Removed], we're almost at $200k guys!

There hasn't been a better time than the present to get some sweet things, and those sweet things will very soon include a Blu-Ray copy of Season 2, dubbed and subbed, for the same price as any of the other tiers that already had Season 1

This post has been edited by [Sabi] - January 30, 2014, 20:12:36.
Reason for edit : [Forums Rules of Conduct - Linked to Moderated Posts]
Community Manager * Member Since 2013-07-08
posté January 30, 2014, 20:16:25 | #55
Hi guys,

Quick post to say that we are thankful for the feedback that we seen here but at the same time, this thread has been heavily moderated for trolling, ranting and flaming, which is not what these forums are about.

Please bare in mind that it is ok to share negative comments but in an appropriate way.

I will leave this thread opened as it is important to continue to see your feedback.

Let's just keep it more friendly and constructive ok? And now I let you get back in the topic.  

Overweighted Chafer * Member Since 2009-06-10
posté January 30, 2014, 20:40:42 | #56

Quote (Hylian-Scientist @ 25 January 2014 14:55) *
Oh dear, did I forget to mention that? (I know I did on our other thread, Overlord, but that's beside the point)

Either way, yes, they are offering both of the manga books *Translated* in digital form as yet another reward for contributing!

So to recap, if you only have a few hours' wages sitting around, you can still get:
-All of the seasons we unlock on beautiful Hi-Def Blu-Ray
-A sweet shirt, whose design is still being voted on
-Some cool signed posters
-An awesome MMO item
-A handy dandy sticker

If you're willing to pay a bit more for your pledge, you can also get some awesome things like:
-Yugo and Nox Krosmaster figurines
-Some beautiful artbooks for the making of season 1
-The beautiful OST for the show
-And of course, everything mentioned above!

On top of all of this, there's also more and more being added as add-ons that you can tack on no matter which tier you're on, like:
-A tofurby plush
-The aforementioned beautiful OST
-The aforementioned beautiful artbooks

So there's plenty to be had in terms of a return for donating.
Heck, this is all even without saying that the anime itself will be dubbed into English!
It's a pretty sweet deal for everyone, and if you're able to help out, I would highly encourage you to do so!
i wish the devs had as much advertising sense or enthusiasm as you, or any at all would do.

posté January 30, 2014, 20:51:13 | #57
Haha, well I'd say that the Wakfu and Dofus animated series are just about the best marketing choices that I've seen before, so it's safe to say they've got a few brilliant minds and talented artists up their sleeves.

Short Strich * Member Since 2011-12-07
posté January 30, 2014, 23:21:00 | #58

Quote (Hylian-Scientist @ 29 January 2014 03:47) *

Quote (Jwguy @ 29 January 2014 00:25) *
...the fact remains that in order to get the DVD set, Ankama is charging players.
First and foremost, I'd like to commend you on your simple summary of business practices. This is indeed how companies go about acquiring funds in return for goods.

And before you go saying that that's not what you meant, I don't think you know just how much it is actually what you implied. Ankama is a struggling company, and as such, needs the support of others to be able to continue producing quality materials before they can get back up on their feet again. This isn't seen as money-grabbing, or greed, in the business world, but rather as a form of being able to continue doing what we expect them to, at the rate we expect them to. Kickstarter exists so that these companies that have dreams can get funded *via donation* (Not extortion) to make those dreams a reality. I don't know if you read the update from Tot that deandip posted about, but it is a very heartfelt message from one of the creators of the Krosmoz, detailing his passion and vision for the animated series. Sure, there's always the possibility that he's lying through his teeth to gain sympathy, but if that's true, the man is a freaking Shakespearean wordsmith of emotions, which I find unlikely. More likely to me is that he genuinely does care about his series, and is asking us *if we feel so inclined* to help him make the series a possibility, and to see it grow. This is not milking, it is not duping. We, as backers, genuinely love and care for this series, and are more than willing to donate to help it come alive again. Heck, we even get some absolutely amazing rewards in return for it. Honestly, for anyone in the $40 tier, they are getting more than what they're paying for in merch, not to mention with free shipping.

Yes, you are probably right in your sentiment that Ankama could go under if they fail to get enough funding. However, I have a very strong feeling you're absolutely wrong in assuming that this Kickstarter does nothing to change that. If the Kickstarter gets fully funded, it will open up the opportunity to spread the community watching it from a potential ~74 million people to a combined total of just under 450 million people. Now, that is the number of English and French speaking people in the world, so you can obviously assume that it's only a small portion watching it, but think of how many multiples of the original target audience that new figure is. It could mean astronomical improvements in financial terms for Ankama, as well as gaining the exposure of debatably the most influential language-speakers in the world. This Kickstarter could get Ankama's foot in the door of a major audience, and could very, very easily turn their situation around entirely. This Kickstarter could be absolutely massive for them if they can get enough funding. Seeing the major support behind them could get major networks to notice Ankama, and from there, the company could explode out into the world of recognition.

In all, I'm going to put it at this: Ankama needs your help!!
If we can get anyone with even 5 spare bucks (Roughly the same as a freaking Happy Meal here in Canada) to donate, the sheer number of backers would catch the eye of a network that Ankama approached. Even better for your value, if you have $40 lying around, you can get all of the seasons and OAVs we back in Blu-Ray form, free of shipping costs, as well as a sweet t-shirt, and other small things. I honestly don't see where the whole "evil corporation stealing our money" sentiment comes from! They're struggling; they asked for help; we help them; they get major recognition; they pour back into the company. It's a basic spend-money-to-earn-money tactic, but Ankama needs help getting the money in the first place. But we're honestly just paying for a service the same way anyone pays anyone for services; we'll be able to reap what we sow in terms on Ankama giving back to us simply by becoming a bigger company!

I'm not going to ask anyone who can't help out to draw themselves thin for this cause. They can receive the benefits of those of us who are fortunate enough to scrape together our daily needs and have some left over afterwards. But if you're only holding back because "it's futile" or "Big Ankama" is trying to steal our money, I implore you to rethink your perspective, and see this project for what it is: a need for help, to make the awesome things that you seem to be demanding from them. Game has issues with being understaffed? Help pay for new staff. Game isn't feeling fully polished? Help pay for new software staff. This isn't a "Here, take my money for free" situation; we're paying for Ankama to reach a larger audience, and in turn, they're giving us loads of freaking awesome stuff, and they're going to pour back into the company when they get on their feet! It's the freaking stock exchange, but instead of getting physical money back, we're getting loads of awesome stuff, and improved products.

I'm sorry for turning this into a repetitive rant, but good grief, someone needs to set the record straight. Please get this bias out of your perspective, and help a company that we all can agree has made some things worth paying for! Even if it means donating a dollar, everything helps.

Two things:

One, I haven't said, once, that using a Kickstarter as a means for profit is a bad or immoral thing. All I ever said was that I felt it was disingenuous to approach it as if it were purely a "let's give the DVDs to NA!" type of situation, rather than being conscious of the situation regarding the game and it's state of affairs, and possibly could have been a maneuver meant to gain as much from the series before that happens. Kickstarter or milking a cash cow, I don't see either of those as immoral, as you seem to indicate here, I just find the approach to be a bit without the wherewithal appropriate for the situation.

Two, I haven't said that the Kickstarter will do nothing. I acknowledge possibility in regards to it. My point is that they are only possibilities at the juncture. Until you and I see significant changes, preaching about how much good the Kickstarter can do is just, and only, that. Preaching.

Bonus:
I'm a realist. I like ideal situations, and I have my own set of ideology, but I don't rely on them/it. I don't think for a moment that they are suddenly going to exist just because I want them to, or because enough people buy a set of DVDs. You want to know what happens, empirically-speaking, when a DVD set sells well, but a game from the same brand doesn't? The company selling both products start making more DVDs. I don't assume more than that, because that would not be rational. Rather than calling me biased because I'm willing to look at something we love with less enthusiasm or blind loyalty, perhaps you should consider your own perspective and how vulnerable it is, especially when one day, everything you hope doesn't happen to Wakfu eventually does.

posté January 30, 2014, 23:45:16 | #59
Sorry about that Jwguy, I used your post as more of an outlet for the whole thread's general outlook on the Kickstarter, and tried to address that sentiment as a whole.

That said though, we're not just talking about a set of DVDs here, nor are we talking about settling for the amount of money the Kickstarter raises. Once again, it's about reaching that new audience, and expanding based on the multiplied exposure. The English-speaking community is massive and influential, so any foot in the door of broadcasting to them is massive for an international company.

I think we could all use a little bit of blind optimism every now and again. I agree, it's a vulnerable thing to base a lifestyle around, but in small doses, it can make a large difference, and with something I enjoy like this, but don't necessarily bank any of my well-being on, the risk is vastly outweighed by the potential reward. Will Ankama potentially shift a little more towards the animated series? That seems like a reasonable assumption. But will that mean they won't expand their efforts on the games either? If they're expanding as a company, then no, that would just be silly to give up on their flagship assets.

I'm not saying Ankama will become the next Sony by expanding into the English-speaking community, but they're kind of trapped in the French community right now, and need more grounds to relate to the English community on. I think, from an advertising perspective, it's much more beneficial and effective to expand into that community with something they don't have to pay to enjoy (when watching it on tv), and further draw them into the company before presenting them with things to pay for. People are much more likely to buy things they're familiar with and like, than buy things out of the blue. So it makes sense to lead with the show, then build up the game. It's not an immediate reward, but you'll see it in the time to come

Squited Arachnee * Member Since 2009-09-05
posté January 31, 2014, 14:03:12 | #60

Quote (OrehRuoy @ 26 January 2014 02:11) *
I personally think its sad they are using kickstarter. Shows they aren't a real company
Dit you know that Square-Enix has said that they will be working in collaboration Indiegogo (similar to kickstarter) for (if I remember correctly) most of their future projects?
This way you can see how much people are interested in the project before it's been released.
That way the company will also be able to see that their project won't just fail the moment it's been released.

And for people that say Ankama should just fund the projects themselves, I was thinking about the wages and was guessing it might be around this much. (Mods, feel free to change these numbers if you can to make it more realistic because I'm just guessing here)

Check out this form to see my dubbing cost guesses.

This post has been edited by Kuroyanko - February 01, 2014, 18:07:45.
Reason for edit : removed my cost guesses from this post