Back to forum.wakfu.com
Almanax 1 Novamaire
Captain Chafer's Panty Party
Captain Chafer's Panty Party has always been quite a curious event. Founded in honour of the well-...

No flash

Why would anyone want to play this game?, Please give me good selling points
Lazy Bow Meow * Member Since 2013-03-23
posté February 07, 2014, 19:31:14 | #1
Why would anyone want to play this game? I've tried this game a few times and it's very unique, I'll give you that. In its combat system, its art style and general game design it's pretty unique for a game and even a MMO. But after a while of playing the flaws way outweigh the good parts of the game, for example the disgusting amount of grinding/slow levelling, the low player population and the amount of sheer repetitiveness. Also, the fact that it still uses pay-to-play instead of being free-to-play really restricts the amount of traffic. I think this game would be so much more successful and feel like quite a few of the games features are based upon player population and with the tiny amounts of stuff you can actually do when playing this game F2P it leaves me wondering what is the future for Wakfu/Ankama. Thanks!

Also by no way am I meaning to sound negative just treat me like a customer who is yet to buy the game.

Dokushuuuuu * Member Since 2008-01-09
posté February 07, 2014, 19:41:45 | #2
What can we say? If you don't like it, you don't like it, nothing we say we'll change that. For the people that plays it it's fun, it is for me, especially if you have friends to play with and set yourslef some goals, otherwise yes, it can be just a boring grind.

Teethless Sharkie * Member Since 2013-10-31
posté February 07, 2014, 19:55:22 | #3
Me, I don't like mussles or other shellfish, so I don't buy them.

You don't seem to like Wakfu, so try another MMO  

Short Strich * Member Since 2011-12-07
posté February 07, 2014, 20:04:05 | #4
While I don't think the two posts above me have the right idea about how to go about this, I agree that this post seems a bit entitled or whiny.

At the same time, however, the player populations on Nox are getting kind of bad. I can run around for hours in Bonta and see no-one, except for idle players, outside of the 5th Bond Avenue marketplace. It might be time for a server merge... And the pay to play model is already losing steam, what with Ankama experimenting with freemium models instead, such as with the Southern Asia server that everyone was going on about, recently. No word on how that reflects on the already existing servers, though.

Ecstatic Whisperer * Member Since 2012-02-05
posté February 07, 2014, 20:29:58 | #5

Quote (Jwguy @ 07 February 2014 20:04) *
While I don't think the two posts above me have the right idea about how to go about this, I agree that this post seems a bit entitled or whiny.

At the same time, however, the player populations on Nox are getting kind of bad. I can run around for hours in Bonta and see no-one, except for idle players, outside of the 5th Bond Avenue marketplace. It might be time for a server merge... And the pay to play model is already losing steam, what with Ankama experimenting with freemium models instead, such as with the Southern Asia server that everyone was going on about, recently. No word on how that reflects on the already existing servers, though.
Whether the Asia server is popular due being new or having a freemium model is something we can't quite tell ......yet

As for me, i play cause i have friends here and the style is charming. I mostly agree that theres to much farming but its also changing slowly. The game is prob completely different in a year or so.

Featherless Piwi * Member Since 2013-08-04
posté February 07, 2014, 20:31:53 | #6
I don't really wanna play any other game

Lazy Bow Meow * Member Since 2013-03-23
posté February 07, 2014, 20:49:59 | #7
I think you can quite clearly see that the freemium model works exceptionally, case and point being the kick-starter campaign for the anime. It raised way more than the aim. But sorry, yeah I guess if I don't like the game I should hit up another MMO it's just a shame because this has probably been my favourite MMO and could be my favourite game if there were just a few changes.

Dokushuuuuu * Member Since 2008-01-09
posté February 07, 2014, 21:22:28 | #8
P2P isn't the problem. The game has zero, literally ZERO advertisement, so obviously the game population is small.

Ambitious Crackapult * Member Since 2006-01-31
posté February 08, 2014, 00:26:06 | #9

Quote (Rokugatsu @ 07 February 2014 21:22) *
P2P isn't the problem.

Yes it is. Do a short google search, something along the lines of 'I wish Wakfu were free'. There are literally hundreds of thousands of results. I see the same sentiment all the time, I see it on Twitter and Tumblr, I see it in the comments on blog posts, on YouTube videos, and even on this forum.

Case and point, the new f2p server is bursting at the seams. It has nothing to do with the lack of advertising, Wakfu APAC absolutely convinced me of this. There is an enormous community out there just waiting for Wakfu to become free and they're already discovering APAC.

Short Strich * Member Since 2011-01-11
posté February 08, 2014, 02:28:38 | #10
I view the fact that Wakfu is P2P as a good thing. First of all I don't trust F2P games because they tend to either not stick around long because the dev teams run out of money, or they have lots of pay to win items that allow you to just spend money to get powerful stuff.

Additionally like it or not the P2P nature of Wakfu ensures that the community stays tighter and higher quality in my opinion. I mean look at the immature, trolling, hateful community of F2P games like League of Legends. Sure they may have huge player bases but frankly their playerbase is horrible.

With regard to the grind yeah I agree that it can be frustrating, but that frustration just makes success all the sweeter when you finally finish your set, or when you finally beat a tough boss that you had trouble with. Wakfu (and its counterpart Dofus) are designed to keep you busy for years if you desire to be the absolute best and get 100% completion of all content.

It's a different kind of game compared with most F2P MMORPG's which have a young, immature playerbase that is impatient and wants to reach max level in a couple months tops. Wakfu and Dofus seem to me to be aimed at older gamers who have money and don't mind dropping $60 a year on subscription. We also don't mind relaxing and taking our time leveling up over a couple years.

To me there is so much more satisfaction in playing a game like Wakfu where you level up slowly, building reputation, skill at team synergy, and friendships in a tight knit, more mature community, compared with huge F2P games where you just focus on leveling to get super powerful, not necessarily the people you are leveling with.

This post has been edited by Mishna - February 08, 2014, 02:31:59.
Squited Arachnee * Member Since 2012-01-11
posté February 08, 2014, 02:56:39 | #11
some players are masochistic. but they need to make plain for real people with lives a lv every 2 hours is a good pace to shoot for. The pacing sucks. If the game was free then mmo hobos will be everywhere and gold farmers.

This post has been edited by Mr-buddy2u - February 08, 2014, 03:00:00.
Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2012-02-11
posté February 08, 2014, 03:06:02 | #12

Quote (boooosh @ 07 February 2014 20:49) *
I think you can quite clearly see that the freemium model works exceptionally, case and point being the kick-starter campaign for the anime. It raised way more than the aim. But sorry, yeah I guess if I don't like the game I should hit up another MMO it's just a shame because this has probably been my favourite MMO and could be my favourite game if there were just a few changes.
I would very much like to know how that is a good case for freemium...

Featherless Piwi * Member Since 2012-01-05
posté February 08, 2014, 03:06:07 | #13
try making some friends. Game is a lot better with friends.,

Not so Hairy Moon * Member Since 2012-01-13
posté February 08, 2014, 03:17:45 | #14
It's still not too late for Ankama to steer Wakfu back towards the path of not being such a frustrating mess. I'm not holding my breath, but you never know. Hopefully they start listening to criticism at some point.

Soft Crackler * Member Since 2012-02-29
posté February 08, 2014, 03:23:40 | #15

Quote (Hudski @ 08 February 2014 00:26) *

P2P isn't the problem.

Yes it is. Do a short google search, something along the lines of 'I wish Wakfu were free'. There are literally hundreds of thousands of results. I see the same sentiment all the time, I see it on Twitter and Tumblr, I see it in the comments on blog posts, on YouTube videos, and even on this forum.

Case and point, the new f2p server is bursting at the seams. It has nothing to do with the lack of advertising, Wakfu APAC absolutely convinced me of this. There is an enormous community out there just waiting for Wakfu to become free and they're already discovering APAC.
Lol search result numbers mean nothing. Past the first few results it's literally random pages that have 1 or more words used in the search. When you want to google a specific phrase you use quotation marks, in this case No results found for "I wish wakfu were free". L2google, you suck.

Tofurby on Diet * Member Since 2014-01-13
posté February 08, 2014, 03:24:53 | #16
Because it's fun and I like it.

Featherless Piwi * Member Since 2011-10-23
posté February 08, 2014, 03:25:54 | #17

Quote (Mishna @ 08 February 2014 02:28) *
I view the fact that Wakfu is P2P as a good thing. First of all I don't trust F2P games because they tend to either not stick around long because the dev teams run out of money, or they have lots of pay to win items that allow you to just spend money to get powerful stuff.

Additionally like it or not the P2P nature of Wakfu ensures that the community stays tighter and higher quality in my opinion. I mean look at the immature, trolling, hateful community of F2P games like League of Legends. Sure they may have huge player bases but frankly their playerbase is horrible.

With regard to the grind yeah I agree that it can be frustrating, but that frustration just makes success all the sweeter when you finally finish your set, or when you finally beat a tough boss that you had trouble with. Wakfu (and its counterpart Dofus) are designed to keep you busy for years if you desire to be the absolute best and get 100% completion of all content.

It's a different kind of game compared with most F2P MMORPG's which have a young, immature playerbase that is impatient and wants to reach max level in a couple months tops. Wakfu and Dofus seem to me to be aimed at older gamers who have money and don't mind dropping $60 a year on subscription. We also don't mind relaxing and taking our time leveling up over a couple years.

To me there is so much more satisfaction in playing a game like Wakfu where you level up slowly, building reputation, skill at team synergy, and friendships in a tight knit, more mature community, compared with huge F2P games where you just focus on leveling to get super powerful, not necessarily the people you are leveling with.

Everybody that played WoW knows that your comment is wrong.
There is no different in player base between F2P and P2P.
There will be always hacker, bots, flamer, griefer, ...
LoL has the same amount of people this kind then WoW.

Money is not a barrier to keep this people away.
Because they will always find away.
It is so easy it is to pay with mobile phone or paypal.

Wakfu asia plays the same way like all other wakfu server only with more players and the freedom to decide when you want invest money in it. You can give them more money if you think they deserve it or if you have higher income.

You never feel like you got cheated.

This post has been edited by Sereaph - February 08, 2014, 03:38:05.
Ecstatic Whisperer * Member Since 2012-02-20
posté February 08, 2014, 05:07:26 | #18

Quote (boooosh @ 07 February 2014 19:31) *
I've tried this game a few times and it's very unique, I'll give you that. In its combat system, its art style and general game design it's pretty unique for a game and even a MMO. But after a while of playing the flaws way outweigh the good parts of the game, for example the disgusting amount of grinding/slow levelling, the low player population and the amount of sheer repetitiveness. Also, the fact that it still uses pay-to-play instead of being free-to-play really restricts the amount of traffic. I think this game would be so much more successful and feel like quite a few of the games features are based upon player population and with the tiny amounts of stuff you can actually do when playing this game F2P it leaves me wondering what is the future for Wakfu/Ankama. Thanks!

Also by no way am I meaning to sound negative just treat me like a customer who is yet to buy the game.
There is a f2p server. If you play all the content in increasing level and take time to enjoy the game it doesnt have to be a grind; only the max level content is a grind-fest. You also answered your own question in the first few sentences of your post.

Tofurby on Diet * Member Since 2014-01-13
posté February 08, 2014, 05:07:43 | #19
Disagree with the above,from my experience with P2P and F2P games the P2P have way better communities. But that's all we can speak from, experience.

Ambitious Crackapult * Member Since 2006-01-31
posté February 08, 2014, 05:13:01 | #20

Quote (Noobility @ 08 February 2014 03:23) *

Quote (Hudski @ 08 February 2014 00:26) *

P2P isn't the problem.

Lol search result numbers mean nothing. Past the first few results it's literally random pages that have 1 or more words used in the search. When you want to google a specific phrase you use quotation marks, in this case No results found for "I wish wakfu were free". L2google, you suck.

1) How does that invalidate the sentiment that we see popping up all the time?
2) How does that invalidate the sheer number of non-APAC players playing on APAC?
3) How are you going to google for a sentiment?

Try hard 2: Try Harder.

I am not advocating for reg. Wakfu to become f2p, simply dispelling the idea that advertising will solve everything.

What will solve everything is the developers making this game p2p-speed, not f2p-speed.

This post has been edited by Hudski - February 08, 2014, 05:15:54.