Back to forum.wakfu.com

No flash

Do we have an English translation of the Wakfu Live?
Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2011-11-20
posté March 10, 2014, 21:04:45 | #1
Do we have an English translation of the Wakfu Live? They did this last week on Wednesday, anyone had the time to comb through it and provide an outline of what was discussed?

All I could really glean from the French Forums on the result is that Ankama employees spent a lot of time telling each other and us that "it's not as bad as it seems, everything is really alright, going great"

Essentially the FR community exploded upon hearing this, and they're freaking out as much or more than we are about the cancellation of Wakfu Mag, the endless delays and evasions, the incoming Pet Nerfs, and the missing PP Lock/Droprate Revamp.

We're not alone in our feelings by any means. I'd really like to see what it is that kicked the hornet's nest on the French side, though!

posté March 10, 2014, 21:28:39 | #2
Haha cute! No though, I'd prefer just information actually- the ceaseless advocating for stuff does wear one down, but we each have our own responses to adversity. I tend to deal with stuff by speaking out and looking for answers. It's pretty effective, most of the time.

posté March 10, 2014, 22:37:38 | #3
Now seriously, anyone got it translated yet? Or an outline of what was discussed?

Thanks!

Tofurby on Diet * Member Since 2013-10-21
posté March 10, 2014, 22:43:22 | #4
Sorry Tommy - I'm info-less. T.T

Soft Crackler * Member Since 2013-05-10
posté March 10, 2014, 23:29:31 | #5
You shouldn't really make an opinion based on what people on the French forums say, like on here people mostly go there to complain

What was discussed in the live:

A big combat revamp is set to happen around halfway in the year. They plan on redistributing states and abilities more equally among classes eg. AP removal, healing, life steal, etc. They don't want the eni to be the almost mandatory go-to healer, they want other classes to offer viable healing alternatives and have more interesting party compositions. They want to add life steal abilities on several classes, again to limit the "mandatory" aspect of the eni. They don't want any class to have a monopoly over a certain ability. eg. xelors won't be the only ones that can remove AP.

The panda and sram revamp might happen at the same time as the combat revamp, but depending on things it might also happen later.

They created a team just for this combat revamp, so it won't just be one person working on the classes like before. They also plan on releasing these changes in one fell swoop and not little by little like before.

They plan on adding spell cooldowns.

They plan on changing the lock/dodge mechanic.

They'll change things regarding wakfu points, they don't find it very interesting right now.

Revamping the combat and taking care of classes takes priority over pvp features. This year only outlaw vs guard pvp, outlaws will have their own nation and the governor will not elected (duh they are outlaws) but rather chosen based on who has the highest pvp ranking.

The next island is the only one that gonna be lower lvl than current content, after that all the other islands will for higher lvls and the lvl cap will increase etc.

For capitals, areas that are controlled by a nation will provide resources for the construction of the capital. They aren't sure if they'll let players control 100% of the construction of the capital (and possibly end up with super ugly capitals) or sorta put restrictions to make sure that doesn't happen The pictures we saw for capitals were only concept art not the final product.

Then they talked about a lot of small things like, they will add a inventory just for costumes. and another one just for resources. They might remove the wakfu/stasis gauge, but not sure. Azael said that the wakfu/stasis thing is sort of a legacy from the beta and the current team just ended up with it even though it's not their idea, and he also thinks it would take a long time to make a real feature out of it, he's not sure it's worth it since not that many people care about the RP.

Tokens won't come back but they want the resources that player drop to sorta replace tokens because after x dungeons you would have enough resources to craft the item you want. They've considered making everything craftable, even the best items, but it's a big change and it would take a lot of thinking before they do that.

Azael also said that players were mad that the almanax quests were removed but they don't understand that it was taking them a lot of time every month to take care of it, and that the opportunity cost of that time means less actual content in the game. They also plan on adding milestone rewards for the almanax, so that you wouldn't just get rewarded after a year, but periodically get a little something.

Azael said that they don't plan mounts for now, but that it depends on what players actually are looking to get out of mounts. If they want something simple like +walking speed they can do easily, but doing a whole feature around it would take time.

Probably missed some things but yeah, Azael talks, a lot, dude loves talking. Now be grateful I took the time to type all of this you animals  

Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2012-02-19
posté March 10, 2014, 23:45:39 | #6
all ive heard is that they are probably going to make spells have cooldowns... and change mechanics maybe... there was a thread about it on the beta thread or whatever i think you commented on it... scary stuff.

Edit: reading the thing above me i am truely dreading the combat revamp... i can understand some things but why make it so no class is special anymore also im not a very big fan of cooldowns and what not... i suppose id have to see the new system but until then ill just be in a sickish negativity waiting for them to finally put the nail in the coffin by destroying the combat system in the game... like they are trying to destroy crafting 9-9

This post has been edited by Nox16 - March 10, 2014, 23:50:43.
Reason for edit : sadness and suffering is all i ever feel.
Eccentric Moogrr * Member Since 2012-02-04
posté March 11, 2014, 00:45:23 | #7

Quote (Nox16 @ 10 March 2014 23:45) *
all ive heard is that they are probably going to make spells have cooldowns... and change mechanics maybe... there was a thread about it on the beta thread or whatever i think you commented on it... scary stuff.

Edit: reading the thing above me i am truely dreading the combat revamp... i can understand some things but why make it so no class is special anymore also im not a very big fan of cooldowns and what not... i suppose id have to see the new system but until then ill just be in a sickish negativity waiting for them to finally put the nail in the coffin by destroying the combat system in the game... like they are trying to destroy crafting 9-9

While I agree with what worries you. The current system in place keeps ending up unbalanced because nothing scales well with these level cap/gear tier updates.

For example people are 1-2 turning each other again, something that the 3x pvp hp change made impossible when it was first implemented. But how can you rationalize changing it to 5x or 6x now? That would make pvp at lower levels extremely silly.

So while I am a little worried about the revamp, I do understand why they want to do it and I just hope they come up with something better to replace what we currently have.

Community Manager * Member Since 2013-07-08
posté March 11, 2014, 01:14:13 | #8
Hi guys,

I am working on translating the FR WAKFU Live session with Azael, to answer at the same time some of your questions from the "Q&A Devs Question Bucket", but also even better I am looking into organizing one for the International community and the logistics of it.

Please bare with me as the WAKFU LIVE was a little over 1 hour long but I will make sure to share all the important information with you in the next couple of days along with the next WAKFU LIVE planned on the FR side with Hush and Eskarina on Wednesday.

Also in the meantime thank you Noobility for sharing that info with us!

posté March 11, 2014, 01:36:31 | #9
Thank you so much, Noobility!

Also thanks Sabi for the update on the ETA for the first Devbucket responses!

Ecstatic Whisperer * Member Since 2012-04-04
posté March 11, 2014, 01:44:11 | #10
Wow this player-organised thread provides more actual info than the devtracker in the latest months.
Some of the said things are making me excited, some are scaring the fuck out. Let's just see how it goes, I'm being more like indifferent already, if I spend more nerves reacting on all those nerfs and bad changes there's simply nothing would be left so I'm just taking care of my health and stopping giving a shit. Wakfu changes constantly and it is already not the game I felt in love with, so, whatever. Whatever.

Ecstatic Whisperer * Member Since 2006-01-31
posté March 11, 2014, 05:22:25 | #11

Quote (Nox16 @ 10 March 2014 23:45) *
reading the thing above me i am truely dreading the combat revamp... i can understand some things but why make it so no class is special anymore also im not a very big fan of cooldowns and what not... i suppose id have to see the new system but until then ill just be in a sickish negativity waiting for them to finally put the nail in the coffin by destroying the combat system in the game... like they are trying to destroy crafting 9-9

I think you're misunderstanding a little.

Consider how they granted MP removal to both Enutrofs and Sadidas without compromising either of their places in any group - they are both special, distinguished classes that offer completely seperate abilities, but they both offer MP removal as part of their banquet. Neither class has been damaged by the other possessing MP removal, and that's what they're considering for other classes.

Similarly, Srams were not damaged by Trank's lifesteal effects, and Pandas were not damaged by Xelors and Fecas being granted the ability to move allies just as effectively.

---

Adding cooldowns to a game like Wakfu is a tricky business, but if done right, could sincerely open up paths for some actual build diversity. Solo-element builds will have the advantage of being able to attack in their element non-stop, whereas Hybrids will feel the pressure to move inbetween elements based on their cooldowns.

Cooldowns also encourage one cast of a spell being sufficiently powerful enough. Imagine a 2-turn cooldown Sudden Chill, that immediately adds 120 stacks that lasts 2 turns, for 4ap. What was previously a 24-AP investment for 70-80 res drop becomes a 4ap investment.

We won't be playing a game of "Everybody is a hybrid, hit on the enemy's weakest resist with your element combo" or "Spam your one good spell over and over because it's your one good spell" any more, if this is done right. I personally look forward to it.

---

EDIT: I riffed a little on Skype about this and fleshed out my thoughts a bit more.

[4:28:27 AM] Decker: i like cooldowns. i think
[4:28:48 AM] Decker: wakfu has no difficulty so they use fake difficulty to make it hard
[4:29:10 AM] Decker: adding cooldowns is their way of saying, 'think before you act'
[4:29:48 AM] Decker: but also
[4:30:04 AM] Decker: 'a well-timed strike will have a greater effect than a series of poorly timed strikes'
[4:30:32 AM] Decker: and the only thing that's gonna make this game harder is, NOT adding more mob hp/res/damage, but taxing players to start to think about whether or not they want to use their big skills now or later
[4:30:39 AM] Decker: making them risk not having their big skills for big moments
[4:31:37 AM] Decker: if you're smart, get good, and act with precision, you will always have your big skills for big moments, or will have successfully prevented big moments with better timing on other skills

This update has the potential to make the game hard in the right way. Of course it's gonna be rocky when it first lands, but let's run a seance or something to make sure it comes out good.

This post has been edited by Hudski - March 11, 2014, 05:40:20.
Bellaphone Lover * Member Since 2012-02-25
posté March 11, 2014, 05:40:55 | #12
Cooldowns...?

Seems like a recipe for disaster for Ankama.

Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2006-10-23
posté March 11, 2014, 05:41:54 | #13
I dunno if I like cooldowns on spells... we already have cooldowns on some stuff, like once per turn, or once every other turn, etc. On certain support skills I can see that being okay.

Teethless Sharkie * Member Since 2011-04-27
posté March 11, 2014, 06:02:14 | #14
I doubt they'll get rid of spell lvl's and in that case a cooldown on a spell like spittoon would be...well...troubling since other water spells eat MP like a *insert curse word*
Which also could mean a revamp for water masq's now that I think about it.

This post has been edited by MereBytes - March 11, 2014, 06:03:47.
Bellaphone Lover * Member Since 2012-02-27
posté March 11, 2014, 09:10:00 | #15
Any news regarding the Initiative system too by any chance?

Always felt that system could use a big overhaul myself

Eccentric Moogrr * Member Since 2011-05-13
posté March 11, 2014, 12:17:57 | #16
The only relevant info of this obnouxious 1.20h wakfu live are:

a) the political revamp will not undergo until we re-do every other thing in the game from scratch

b) BUT we are doing a guard vs outlaws system! Outlaws will have their nation! We are willing to create a rivality atmosphere like what we have in dofus between bonta and brakmar.

c) As for the capital revamp we are inspiring from Heroes of might and magic.

Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2012-02-19
posté March 11, 2014, 12:33:40 | #17
MAYBE i over reacted a bit... i do see where the combat revamp will make more distinct builds and what not... i just worry ok.

Ambitious Crackapult * Member Since 2012-03-02
posté March 11, 2014, 12:48:20 | #18
I wonder if the new wakfu system will be linked to cool downs,, maybe wakfu costing spells be the only ones be effected by cool downs?
Or with they rework the system all together, changing wakfu to a buff to current spells, which then results in the spell needing a cool down before it is recast (therefore altering a lot of elemental spells with wakfu in their cast)
*puffs*** Idk,, oddly excited c:

((Thanks for the translation btw ^^)

Ecstatic Whisperer * Member Since 2006-01-31
posté March 11, 2014, 12:58:19 | #19

Quote (Nox16 @ 11 March 2014 12:33) *
MAYBE i over reacted a bit... i do see where the combat revamp will make more distinct builds and what not... i just worry ok.

It's not like your worries are unfounded, but, I do have to admit that they're getting better with revamps over time. (see: Rune revamps 1 and 2, Sadida revamp vs Feca revamp, etc)

Bellaphone Lover * Member Since 2012-02-27
posté March 11, 2014, 13:16:48 | #20
Cooldowns instead of Wakfu points for spells would be a step in the right direction - Always hated how the Wakfu Point system didn't scale well for long battles. On the other hand, I would not want to have a cooldown on an ability like Roll Again - that spell really needs to be allowed to be cast consecutively for instance.

This post has been edited by VoidSettler - March 11, 2014, 13:17:38.