Back to forum.wakfu.com

No flash

Crush gender norms
Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2012-02-19
posté May 07, 2014, 02:17:35 | #41
All i will say about this topic is that it was talked about in length ages ago around the spring have sprung insig and again at the bride groom so i wonder why this op even brought this up out of nowhere *i have ideas why but thats not part of this discussion* Anyway just like the other threads about this before this one was made *should of just written in that one instead of making a new one* sabi said that ankama is looking into it as an option or something like that but they are looking into it apparently so yeah...

Grizzled Dandelion * Member Since 2013-11-27
posté May 07, 2014, 02:21:49 | #42

Quote (Nox16 @ 07 May 2014 02:17) *
All i will say about this topic is that it was talked about in length ages ago around the spring have sprung insig and again at the bride groom so i wonder why this op even brought this up out of nowhere *i have ideas why but thats not part of this discussion* Anyway just like the other threads about this before this one was made *should of just written in that one instead of making a new one* sabi said that ankama is looking into it as an option or something like that but they are looking into it apparently so yeah...
I highly doubt Ankama give two kamas about whether or a not a costume is 'gendered' or not and it was a stock answer by Sabi. More threads = more discussion = more pressure on Ankama. This is a thing the community wants (I'm yet to see anyone say no) and they continue to release gendered costumes time and time again. Also, wise move keeping your speculation to yourself bud, I trust its nothing short of vile anyway  

Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2012-02-19
posté May 07, 2014, 02:24:59 | #43

Quote (JbcX @ 07 May 2014 02:21) *

I highly doubt Ankama give two kamas about whether or a not a costume is 'gendered' or not and it was a stock answer by Sabi. More threads = more discussion = more pressure on Ankama. This is a thing the community wants (I'm yet to see anyone say no) and they continue to release gendered costumes time and time again. Also, wise move keeping your speculation to yourself bud, I trust its nothing short of vile anyway
my speculation would of counted as flaming and some other thing against forum rules. I never said i had anything against this honestly i dont care much either way its more the reason why this is brought up and why not write in the threads about this that came earlier instead of making a new one.

Ugly Gobball * Member Since 2012-10-14
posté May 07, 2014, 02:25:09 | #44
@jbcx thanks for the explanation, it makes a lot of sense. it could be a useful term in a cis-centric society, but i suppose the use of it counts as a passive consent of sorts. i didn't think much about it but it makes a lot of sense,,,

@owl the only thing i'll say is it's a lot easier to remove gender from a conversation when you're not used to being treated as lesser (or for us nonbinary people, nonexistent) for your gender identity. but thats just details in wording, i suppose. that said, i also wish for a situation in which people could simply express themselves as they like without assumptions being made about their intentions, and we could start seeing people as they are instead of drawing conclusions based on how they dress

thanks for reponses, both of you

BACK ON TOPIC, whatever the reason it's kind of lame to take away options for players when said options were previously provided. theres some deeper social issues here but for the love of god why would you take away perfectly good options anyway

edit: there were like 500 more posts in the time it took me to type this gg

This post has been edited by Scordarsi - May 07, 2014, 02:26:40.
Narcissistic Larva * Member Since 2012-10-30
posté May 07, 2014, 02:33:18 | #45
I just realized that having sex-restricted costumes potentially cramps every Foggernaut's style because they can only be made "male" despite being robots that probably don't have a physical sex. So every Fogger is probably limited to "male" costume options, regardless of the player's intentions (if any) regarding the character's gender.

Grizzled Dandelion * Member Since 2013-11-27
posté May 07, 2014, 02:38:56 | #46

Quote (AtomicSoldier @ 07 May 2014 02:33) *
I just realized that having sex-restricted costumes potentially cramps every Foggernaut's style because they can only be made "male" despite being robots that probably don't have a physical sex. So every Fogger is probably limited to "male" costume options, regardless of the player's intentions (if any) regarding the character's gender.
Can we start a new thread about how Foggers need to be more androgynous or have a 'gender' choice?

Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2011-03-01
posté May 07, 2014, 02:50:16 | #47

Quote (Nox16 @ 07 May 2014 02:24) *

Quote (JbcX @ 07 May 2014 02:21) *

my speculation would of counted as flaming and some other thing against forum rules. I never said i had anything against this honestly i dont care much either way its more the reason why this is brought up and why not write in the threads about this that came earlier instead of making a new one.
I find it a little offensive to be honest that you are acting this way when you know very little about me outside of these forums. I would greatly appreciate it if you left these kinds of comments outside of this thread and if you absolutely must send me a PM instead.

Your assumptions are a little out of line

@scor you know me fairly well and your arguments are very close to deckers when he and I had this discussion in the past as he was curious why I found the term crossdresser offensive I do completely understand and accept the fact that it might be because i'm not used to being treated as lesser as I am in fact a cis white male who just happens to think "female" clothing looks nice. That said I hope you can understand my reasoning behind finding it offensive

posté May 07, 2014, 02:58:34 | #48

Quote (JbcX @ 07 May 2014 02:38) *

Can we start a new thread about how Foggers need to be more androgynous or have a 'gender' choice?
Can we just keep discussing in this thread about how Ankama needs to give us all our costume options back so we can dress up our robots (and humans!) however we want?

(In all honesty though yeah, I don't get why "male" is the default for Foggers when more accurately it should be "neither"? You'd think they'd either give us both sexes or they'd give us a neutral robot, but ??? Why does "neutral" have to mean "male by default"? Unfortunately yeah this discussion would probably require another thread and I'm sure there are probably old ones about it already)

posté May 07, 2014, 03:03:04 | #49
They could have pulled a spiral knights and gave foggers more feminine "hair" styles

Ugly Gobball * Member Since 2012-10-14
posté May 07, 2014, 03:08:38 | #50
@owl as i said, i get your standpoint on the term crossdresser and both you and jbcx explained that very well (and thanks for that)

my issue was mostly with semantics in your more than likely positive (if idealistic) phrasing. i've found in the past when people try to strip gender out of things altogether, they usually succeed only in stripping out non-cismales. i'm guessing that wasn't your intention because you're generally friendly, but that was my main issue there and just something to keep in mind. however! we can hope for the best, maybe someday this will cease to be an issue and we can have nice nongendered stuff without any casualties

This post has been edited by Scordarsi - May 07, 2014, 03:09:19.
Nun Shall Pass * Member Since 2012-10-31
posté May 07, 2014, 03:55:00 | #51

Quote (JbcX @ 07 May 2014 02:38) *

This why we need girl Foggers with girl voices.

-Rizarealm 

posté May 07, 2014, 07:03:09 | #52
On a more related note thanks to everyone for the support the trolls I expected but you guys give me hope that ankama will pay attention  

Speechless Crobak * Member Since 2012-03-04
posté May 07, 2014, 09:11:52 | #53
I just really want them to remove the genderlock feature ;_; v

posté May 07, 2014, 09:14:19 | #54
I wanna see female chars in the male spring has sprung costume QQ

and my mask in the dress 

Soft Crackler * Member Since 2012-02-21
posté May 07, 2014, 09:15:19 | #55

Quote (Ichiechiechie @ 06 May 2014 08:29) *

Quote (MiniMikeh @ 06 May 2014 08:20) *
Change this back please a lot of people like wearing "groom" on their female characters and a lot of people like wearing dresses on their male characters

My feels right there ^ I want GROOM costume on my FEMALE Eni :!!!!!
I want a groom costume on my female eni as well!!

Short Strich * Member Since 2014-02-03
posté May 07, 2014, 18:27:35 | #56

Quote (katralynn @ 07 May 2014 09:15) *

Change this back please a lot of people like wearing "groom" on their female characters and a lot of people like wearing dresses on their male characters

I've been dying to put the groom costume on my female Enu. Give me waistcoats or give me death!

Well, not death, but certainly a top hat and tails.

This post has been edited by ebrande - May 07, 2014, 18:28:16.
Reason for edit : Added quote
Nun Shall Pass * Member Since 2012-10-31
posté May 07, 2014, 20:09:50 | #57

Quote (ebrande @ 07 May 2014 18:27) *

Quote (katralynn @ 07 May 2014 09:15) *

I've been dying to put the groom costume on my female Enu. Give me waistcoats or give me death!

Well, not death, but certainly a top hat and tails.
*Puts scythe away and walks away sadly*

-Rizarealm 

Squited Arachnee * Member Since 2011-07-14
posté May 07, 2014, 20:31:57 | #58
Well, I'll save some opinions for myself, especially when it comes to the (mis)use of some terminology, but I'm overall happy this thread has evolved fairly nicely in general.

RyF's feedback regarding this would be appreciated as a developer, and whether it's a design choice, an economic choice (In either case, it wouldn't be up to him, but would be nice to hear nevertheless. Besides, he's the only developer with English knowledge that also happens to be willing to engage with our communities) or a programming challenge we're seeing gendered costumes being sold for the most part. I sent a message to Sabi about it, but unfortunately I'm sure they are busy with other more pressing issues at the moment. Not to say this isn't pressing for some people, but I'm sure lost items and the inability to play trumps it...

This post has been edited by FurmentalAlchemy - May 07, 2014, 20:35:53.
Lord Madgobb * Member Since 2011-11-20
posté May 07, 2014, 21:39:40 | #59
Sigh. I really want dresses for my Foggernaut And a tuxedo for my granny Enutrof! Le Smoking!

posté May 07, 2014, 23:32:36 | #60

Quote (FurmentalAlchemy @ 07 May 2014 20:31) *
Well, I'll save some opinions for myself, especially when it comes to the (mis)use of some terminology, but I'm overall happy this thread has evolved fairly nicely in general.

RyF's feedback regarding this would be appreciated as a developer, and whether it's a design choice, an economic choice (In either case, it wouldn't be up to him, but would be nice to hear nevertheless. Besides, he's the only developer with English knowledge that also happens to be willing to engage with our communities) or a programming challenge we're seeing gendered costumes being sold for the most part. I sent a message to Sabi about it, but unfortunately I'm sure they are busy with other more pressing issues at the moment. Not to say this isn't pressing for some people, but I'm sure lost items and the inability to play trumps it...
Honestly, I think when discussions of sex and gender come up, there's bound to be a fair amount of terminology mess-ups. B[ Let's be honest, a lot of people just don't think about it much, and most really haven't had to. (I'm thinking mostly of how people seem to be using "sex" and "gender" interchangeably, when the two words refer to different things and don't always line up with one another xD;; ) It can be a little hard to explain to people sometimes, though, and I've personally been trying to reign it in for the sake of keeping things on-topic. I feel you, friend.

However, for whatever (personal, roleplay-related, or cosmetics-related) reasons, many people seem to be generally agreeable about this! This is a good and happy thing. It remains to be seen if anything can be done about it, but I suppose time will tell! Possibly.

There is a lot going on with the game right now, so they might not be too focused on how people want to dress up their characters. But at the same time, it's some wonder they changed the way costumes worked when they could have been working on real issues to begin with!