Back to forum.wakfu.com

By continuing to browse this website, you consent to the use of cookies, which enable us to offer you customised content and to collect site-visit statistics.
Click on this link for more information on cookies, and to customise your cookie preferences. X

No flash

Gynrei's profile
Statistics
3137 Posts (2.9 per day)
Most active in : General Discussion
posté November 25, 2014, 02:29:53 | #1
Wakfu is losing it's identity. I understand on the surface this seems like a reasonable service. Personally, I dislike the direction Ankama is moving.

Class balance in games is just as important as the balance between time invested and rewards or status earned in an MMO. If you see a max level Panda that should stand for something. It means the player passed all challenges to reach that level as a Panda. I know some will argue those things are meaningless because Wakfu can be so easy at times. But that in itself is part of the problem.

It's hard to put into words. This service feels wrong.

As others have stated... many players will buy these to escape their poorly designed, bugged, and weak class. These players do not buy this because they seek a new challenge but because Ankama screwed up their class in some way. If this feature makes good money, what's to stop Ankama purposely "updating" random classes to start the class change merry go round.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #800648  Replies : 100  Views : 1772
posté November 24, 2014, 03:06:48 | #2

Quote (Gunnerwolfang @ 24 November 2014 00:26) *
But the 90% will not disappear, they only whine and threatens to quit and leave but the reality is, they don't.

LOL. So you're saying no F2P game has ever gone under???

Ankama just needs a quality competitor to step up and I think you'll see exactly how the players feel about Wakfu. Many players have already left with no other Tactical MMO options.

How can this genre be so popular on handheld systems and have such a poor showing in the online world?

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #800254  Replies : 105  Views : 2459
posté November 24, 2014, 02:46:24 | #3

Quote (Flaming-June @ 24 November 2014 00:56) *

Quote (Agosta @ 23 November 2014 22:20) *
Most of the Panda's most useful spells cost 2ap. How does this not work with 5ap spells.
Agosta please, we both know Dairy Springer and Barrel Bash have absolutely no synergy with Milking It.

I'm with Agosta. It sounded to me like 5ap spells are being asked to be made cheaper to fit with 12ap builds in general. As he's stated 5ap spells work if your class can make good use of the last 2ap.

If the available spell combos for Panda do not work with 5ap spells that's an issue with the class and not 5ap spells.

Myself, I tend to grab some MP heavy spells for the added dmg because most battles go quicker because no strategy or movement is needed. In the few fights that require movement.... i do a little less dmg if i don't have good alternatives. Personally I've always hated the spell exp limitations placed on players. We all have too few spells to choose from. If we could choose more spells to max this issue of 4ap VS 5ap spells wouldn't be as important because players would have many more combo options available during battle. I'm tired of spamming the same spells over and over.  

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #800251  Replies : 506  Views : 13794
posté November 13, 2014, 18:19:59 | #4

Quote (Exelenore @ 13 November 2014 15:52) *
It's why in my suggestion that I replied to you with the idea of giving dizzy to allies from killing things with scalding and letting dizzy have a positive passive effect when it did.

Elenore and June are the same person? You're well within your rights to compare Panda to Sram. I was trying to illustrate how difficult it would be for everyone else to do the same. There are simply too many other mechanics already in place that will remain unchanged for years so i really can't blame anyone for doing otherwise. The last class to be revamped will have to live with the out-dated mechanics for a very long time. It's understandable they will want to be competitive.

There has been some fun discussion and nice ideas but I think i'm done debating what would be good changes to the current scalding mechanic or ideas for a new one. At this point it's safe to assume Ankama will not be shelving panda to revamp again. There isn't enough past evidence to suggest Ankama uses our ideas outside simply adjusting the numbers.

Ankama: I give scalding a thumbs down in it's current state and will not use it. The reasons are all over this thread and Elenore summed it up nicely here. While increasing the scalding dmg tremendously would persuade me to use it... it would clearly be OP in situations where it's easy to apply. Hence, difficult to balance. The mechanic is fundamentally flawed.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #796116  Replies : 506  Views : 13794
posté November 13, 2014, 15:23:11 | #5
Not sure why everyone keeps cherry picking the issues with scalded...

Sure you can do respectable dmg at 2 turn intervals using the scalded mechanic but you'll be a sub par class. Fire Panda will become a CC class with delayed dmg and little protection.

First turn the Panda will focus fire the nearest mob putting itself at risk of getting hit by other mobs that didn't have another target until the Panda was so generous to charge in. Any other tactic would mean reducing your dmg. It's a long long time before that scalded dmg turn. As the Panda's team mate I'm going to kill that mob you couldn't before it gets a turn to attack. I'm not going to wait for that scalded turn for you to finish it off. No amount of extra turns or fancy activation is going to get back that scalded dmg.

Scalded is inherently tough to balance because there is no clear answer how much additional dmg it should produce based on the difficulty and dangers to activate it. This poorly balanced mechanic already exists in Wakfu and guess what, no one uses it. Ask yourself why.

Heat on the other hand is easier to balance. The Panda is sacrificing some initial base damage to store that damage for a later burst turn. Energy (base dmg) is simply changed (stored), never lost. It can also adds interesting new game play. Some spells can store a larger % of their base dmg. So if a monster has 3HP left the player would be wise to kill the target with a spell that has just enough initial base dmg so as much Heat as possible is stored.

You guys should not be arguing that the suggested scalded changes would be better. You should arguing if Heat is too powerful.

Picture this change to Scalded. Scalded is now accumulated on the panda instead and released once the Panda becomes flaming. Wording it like that doesn't sound like too much work for devs either.

Also, in regards to what can we realistically compare Panda too: This is Ankama's problem with releasing global changes one pixel at a time. Players have no basis for reference because only the Sram exists. One pixel out of billions. Players can compare Panda to anything currently in game imo. The changes are not coming quickly and i feel justified comparing like mechanics that will be around for years.

This post has been edited by Gynrei - November 13, 2014, 15:29:19.
Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #796079  Replies : 506  Views : 13794
posté November 12, 2014, 14:02:25 | #6

Quote (MiniMikeh @ 11 November 2014 20:40) *
there's no reason to add unnecessary crap onto it that's only going to turn it into something people ignore.

This is exactly what might happen to scalded. I have no use for delayed dmg that requires me to put myself in harms way just to be an efficient and productive Panda. Each time you do try to activate the state there is also a chance the enemy will be killed by focus fire. It's not only about the range of the flaming state.

Quote (Flaming-June @ 11 November 2014 21:03) *
To humor the Idea of it, I would just make heat its own mechanic and have every spell on Pandawa that is currently scalding or flaming to instead constantly build heat and have a specialty dedicated to setting it off so that there isn't a spell that you can only make use of when you want to set it off. I think making it only hurt enemies would make it a lot more convenient however.

If I were in charge of picking one though, I'd go with letting it build up until used; it would add another dynamic of building scalding up each turn till it's at a max stack so that you can trigger it at a strategic time. It would solve the issue of losing damage because something moves you or the enemy while adding to the mechanic's potential usage. With that said, I think giving flaming more range in conjunction with this certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

You're correct, ideally you would want a non Fire Spell to ignite the Heat state. Whether it's an active specialty or another elemental branch akin to a Xelor's aging mechanic. This also helps promote some synergy between branches.

It may be too late for the heat state for Panda's but as suggested I'd be happy to see it as part of another revamp and considered from the ground up.

Letting Scalded build up is fine but it also doesn't solve the issue of team focus fire wasting the dmg.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #795739  Replies : 506  Views : 13794
posté November 11, 2014, 16:55:18 | #7

Quote (Delaz @ 10 November 2014 21:57) *
Here is How You Make Flaming/Scalding Competitive by Ledur

1. Spell that generate scalding will now generate the state "Heat". Heat will be built on the character not the Mob. Flavor Text " Why is it getting Hot in here?"

2. Flaming Would allow you release your built up Heat In Wrath size Aoe or 8 Cell Box Aoe at the End of the turn you enter flaming. Damaging both Allies and Mobs (Fire has no friends)

3. Heat would be like riddling as it would never fade away or slowly faded if you don't build heat that turn. So If you choose to build 1000 Heat then release it with Flaming then so be it.

4. You can even make it so you can't go Flaming Two turns in a row with a state name "Burnout"

5. Make a small flame for low heat and huge sexy flame for 1000 stacks of heat

6. ???

7. Profit

ANKAMA DO IT PLEASE! Please discuss this with the Game Designers Mango.

I think this is a solid idea.

The problem with riddling is it's activation is attached to a spell with very reduced base dmg. So to gain a benefit from the spell you need to build enough riddling stacks to make the dmg better than any other Cra spell. Also, it's applied only to the target you've been attacking which likely means by the time you get enough stacks the target is dead or near death and all those stacks are wasted.

Heat is a good idea because it solves these problems which are similar to scalding.

You will never really lose the extra dmg from the Heat state while you could lose the scalding dmg in many ways. The Panda attacks while building up their Heat and then gets to release the damage at will to the target of their choosing. This means it can be released at the end of every combo or saved for a burst damage turn.

The specifics of Heat can be adjusted but i believe this is a much better mechanic fundamentally than scalded. It also allows the Panda to stay at distance and choose when to get in close to release the AoE.

If Ankama does insist on staying with scalded I'd go with Agosta's suggestion and add a passive that increases the range of the flaming state so the Panda can trigger scalded even after a small pushback.

Quote (Flaming-June @ 11 November 2014 15:09) *
The bottom line is no one will want to play a class that is filled with interesting mechanics than make them subpar. The revamps are supposed to eliminate that to the point where even the small abilities on a class are appealing for their usefulness. That is of course an ideal outcome, but just because it is ideal doesn't mean every suggestion shouldn't be moving the revamp towards that goal.

I didn't want to quote your whole post but you make many good points about how to make a class that's both fun and effective. Ankama would do well to keep this in mind when revamping each class.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #795507  Replies : 506  Views : 13794
posté November 10, 2014, 19:04:14 | #8
I agree with limiting Panda map manipulation by keeping barrelhop at 1 use per turn. The reasons have already been stated in this thread. Do not add MP costs to hop which is designed to increase mobility. It's unnecessarily complicated and counter intuitive.

I'd like to see the community focus on the other aspects of the class so the Panda becomes a fun and exciting class to play. The possibilities to create synergy between all three elemental branches and the barrel are endless. The actives/passives could always use some work too.

I dislike lock or dodge passives that don't have more impact on a class. If you add lock add enough to make it effective compared to other +lock classes. Or tie it in with other stats which has clearly become the benchmark.

Also, Ether would be cool if it added a true Ethereal state to the target. Maybe noLoS cast and target can now walk through all obstacles, players, and enemies. Maybe it adds a defensive boost of some sort so only partial dmg is taken (Final Res). It would allow the panda to save allies that find themselves in a bad position.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #795212  Replies : 506  Views : 13794
posté November 07, 2014, 03:31:17 | #9

Quote (Merriden @ 07 November 2014 02:01) *
I'm annoyed that she spins the situation.

Same. Have some courage and say what you think or feel Sabi. I have more respect for someone who tells the truth instead of someone spinning the situation as a good little PR monkey or advertiser often does. Those people are a dime a dozen at the workplace.

Sabi, if you genuinely believe this is a good promotion than I may cry.

Sometimes shooting the messenger gets the point across extremely well.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #793908  Replies : 106  Views : 2597
posté October 17, 2014, 14:54:31 | #10
I know some items in the game take waaay more effort to obtain than their actual value. This is because Wakfu has changed. Many of those items were top tier at some point. I got a lot of use from my Maka cards, wand, and Merchant ring etc.

Wakfu has evolved and it's probably best to leave the past alone and move forward. Wakfu has spent far too much time revamping the wrong things or the correct things poorly. I don't need a revamped sram or panda class. If Ankama doesn't like how they turned out balance the numbers or create a new class/sub class instead. Add new islands or dungeons instead of adding HC mode to old content or a new level 70 gobball.

Most games would have an expansive end game with plenty of content 3 years after release. Wakfu has two dungeons/zones. Yes Wakfu has crafting, PvP, and HWs as well but each of those is broken in major ways.

I keep thinking back to FFXI at lvl75 cap and merits. It had flaws but I always enjoyed the progression. You got to end game and all the old content was still relevant. There was sooo many gear options for each slot. Most gear wasn't clearly better and they all had use in many different situations. You upgraded gear based on the content you chose to play through, NOT because you gained levels. I've never liked this trend in MMO's where the lvl cap is raised and you start over focusing only on the newest added content.

If Wakfu stayed at level 100 cap all those crafts and maka's would be somewhat relevant to awesome still. Ankama increases the level cap and we all grind a bunch of new high level gear in the same dungeon, rinse and repeat.

Instead, monsters and dungeons could be FAR more element focused. Some dungeons might only be cleared by one or two elemental attacks. Basically you give players a reason to grind a set for each of their three elements. No more tri or dual gear builds. To retain the feel of choosing mono, duo, or tri builds add quested spells. Let players level all 15 spells and quest another five of equal value. All fire or 2-2-1 if they like. The idea is not to replace old spells or content but to add variety and choice in every encounter.

This would promote teamwork as players would need to choose their element before each fight. Players would also have to work together and use strategy because in some fights players can't hurt every monster. You'd have to support other players if all the monsters of your element are dead. Every dungeon from level 100 on could serve an end game purpose.

The above would create MUCH more end game content than we currently have.

Also, this would allow the addition of extremely tough TACTICAL encounters. Players could get some cool side grades or status symbols without feeling like they must complete it.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #788185  Replies : 818  Views : 23935
posté October 08, 2014, 20:46:53 | #11

Quote (xCATZILAx @ 08 October 2014 19:13) *
Not easier, consistent and accurate with game developments and changes.
This.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #785863  Replies : 54  Views : 1526
posté October 08, 2014, 15:17:34 | #12

Quote (Hudski @ 08 October 2014 01:57) *

Quote (xCATZILAx @ 08 October 2014 01:30) *

Quote (Hudski @ 08 October 2014 01:28) *
I guess it's just nice to call them lazy.
I wouldn't know, I'm not a dev but thanks for your passive aggression, it was much needed.

You wanna call the devs lazy for no reason, I'll call you hella rude.

I happen to agree more with Skull. The devs are either lazy or incompetent. Take your pick.

If every single use of the stun spell by each class or monster has it's own code it gives the devs more control because they can change how an individual class or monster stun works. But in doing so it becomes a nightmare to balance or rewrite when global changes are made to the game. Because the devs need to find and change every single instance of the stun spell in the code. It's clear Ankama is incapable of this which is one reason why we have so many bugs in Wakfu. The broken achievements mentioned earlier are another example.

Ankama needs to have ONE piece of code for the stun spell. All classes or monsters that use this mechanic simply point to that code and the effect is implemented. This makes changing the spell globally incredibly easy and applies to every class and monster that uses it which assures nothing is missed. Players can also understand the systems in game much easier because all 'STUN" works the same. This is a good thing.

If Ankama really wants to create special monsters or classes with different stuns... they simply create new code with a different name. "SUPER STUN" or whatever. This effect would act differently and players will easily understand it has different effects than "STUN".

The principles behind this type of coding is extremely basic. The devs are either lazy or incompetent.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #785767  Replies : 54  Views : 1526
posté October 04, 2014, 15:21:15 | #13
Mango, I'm more curious about what keeps you invested in Wakfu?

You said yourself you do not get paid to speak to the community or help Ankama. I don't understand how you can be interested in giving your free time to help develop a game you don't feel is worth your time to play on the live servers. Or do you actually still play on the live servers? Forgive me if this has been answered on your streams before as I haven't watched one in some time. Are you just curious about how a company develops a game and all that this entails maybe?

This post has been edited by Gynrei - October 04, 2014, 15:24:30.
Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #784279  Replies : 818  Views : 23935
posté October 03, 2014, 13:45:38 | #14

Quote (Kikuihimonji @ 03 October 2014 11:12) *
I also think the problem is the lack of equipement rather then the system itself.
this.

Quote (Fadedscourge @ 03 October 2014 06:16) *
The problem isn't the system. Your problem seems to be the lack of gear, and for that I agree.

What was the problem with the previous system that more gear options wouldn't have fixed in the same way?

I just don't see a big difference with the new system compared to what was lost. We gained a better balance in stat weight across all rarities and levels which is good. We gained the freedom to choose elements on gear at the cost of it being random which requires resources to reroll and lost a ton of general dmg gear. Gear lost all unique stats. There is no more mobility, defensive or offensive gear anymore. It's all dmg gear. The new dmg stats... and that's all they are, do not synergize with some class builds such as Fire/Air Xelor. The highest lvl and rarity gear will still favor certain builds over others. Just not to the same degree it was before.

My question is why didn't Ankama just balance all existing gear instead of revamping the entire system?

This post has been edited by Gynrei - October 03, 2014, 13:46:07.
Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #783879  Replies : 23  Views : 978
posté October 03, 2014, 02:10:52 | #15

Quote (picklesaregood @ 02 October 2014 23:01) *
i think it had potential but this current system is awful in my opinion

feels like ankama is just going backwards in progress with items

Agreed. I was all for the balancing of gear to avoid the elemental favoritism Ankama had at times and to reduce the large stat advantage given to higher rarity items. However, the new system for gear is terribly boring and dull. I think Ankama could have balanced gear while keeping some fun and interesting effects instead of the bland dmg increase when using certain spells.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #783755  Replies : 23  Views : 978
posté October 02, 2014, 13:46:01 | #16
Fire was the strongest element found on gear before the global revamp. So players were already predisposed to playing Fire in the past.

Fire is also the AOE branch for most classes. Many players including myself prefer powerful AoE spells when in combat. Until more elemental branches are given AoE spells I do not see this trend of Fire being the most common changing.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #783466  Replies : 32  Views : 1342
posté September 24, 2014, 14:43:29 | #17

Quote (ThyHolyOverlord @ 24 September 2014 10:53) *
Xelors mummification is superior

Xelor hands down. For the reasons in the post above and because in short fights the HP given by Mummification can save you bread. In most zerg fights having that extra HP for only a 2ap raise will allow the raised player and Xelor to focus on more dmg instead of spending more ap to heal. Also... Xelors have other awesome abilities parties will enjoy. Personally I like both a Xelor and a Fire/Air Eni in my group.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #780016  Replies : 8  Views : 397
posté September 24, 2014, 14:33:42 | #18
Making end game gear more accessible is better for Wakfu. It is only the first step imo. Ankama still has a lot more work to do in balancing the game, adding content, and important features.

Wakfu WAS a game where getting the best gear meant beating the toughest content. Beating that content meant having great gear. Getting great gear took a massive amount of time. Whether you played 16 hours a day or more casually over the span of two plus years this showed in your stats. Because the gear at end game was so much better than more common gear it wasn't even funny. Combine this with an above average class and things get worse. Before someone tells me it was easy as pie getting +10 end game gear I do understand you can take shortcuts but it's not exactly the standard.

Players in this position (optimal gear) could step on others at the same level in common gear like they were ants. If this is the kind of game you want to play you'll have to look elsewhere. Wakfu is no longer that game. That said, Wakfu still has many balancing issues and bugs that make it broken. Ankama still has a long way to go.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #780012  Replies : 126  Views : 2295
posté September 22, 2014, 23:43:05 | #19

Quote (Elithril @ 22 September 2014 22:45) *
I'm tired of reading people battleing in this thread, especially since the topic is always Sadida.

I find it more entertaining than Wakfu PvP.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #779135  Replies : 818  Views : 23935