Back to forum.wakfu.com

By continuing to browse this website, you consent to the use of cookies, which enable us to offer you customised content and to collect site-visit statistics.
Click on this link for more information on cookies, and to customise your cookie preferences. X

No flash

Major-Caligar...'s profile
Statistics
1021 Posts (1.88 per day)
Most active in : General Discussion
posté Today - 03:02:56 | #1

One more, from Mig's fb (thanks for the heads up, Nelson!). Mushroom's better but this one comes as my second fave.

Also, please tell me that Lacrima joins the reptilians out of bitterness and disgust caused by realizing her design is creepy obscene fanservice even by Ankama's standards (was the bra shaped like hands groping her breasts really necessary?)

As for Osamodas dimension... As I foretold. This is the divine punishment for dismissing my claims about the ovas being a trainwreck of epic proportion from day one! :V

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813804  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté Today - 01:21:28 | #2
There was a single screenshot in an old French Wakfu Mag (long time ago, iirc before the two Frigost issues?) showing some sort of building on said island, the thread with pictures of the celestial mobs only featured pictures of some gear pieces (an ornate mask with single eye and some sort of amulet whch gave mp instead of ap) and their stats and the name of the boss (Master Pathfinder, I believe). I'm pretty sure we shouldn't hold our hopes high for this. :C Same goes for Captain Amakna dungeon (though this one only has some statless items in the files - oddly enough in the same level range as Masq dungeon. Also, there's a statless Cap. Amakna's Shield relic in the files too - level 120. ;x)

On an unrelated note: Mig revealed two more Sadida dolls.

Mushroom's great, the other one... not so much. There's a single detail that really makes it uncomfortable to look at.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813740  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté Yesterday - 22:29:26 | #3
Both this and the celestial dungeons were finished, as far as I know. ;x Which means they were among the content replaced with the dimensions, which were then replaced with le ovas epique.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813680  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté Yesterday - 16:22:11 | #4
"However, for now I welcome this new information as it makes all his story threads more cohesive and creates new possibilities" is what you said about the demigod reveal. Yeah. New possibilites. The Ush Galesh team-up nobody waited for, or learning that actually it was all a reptilian ploy and neither Jiva nor the hour demon pact mentioned at least twice factor into it, because clearly reducing Harebourg to a plot device to create conflict between Yugo and Adamai with the reptilian conspiracy is what we were all waiting for. Truly the worthy replacement for the wabbits/Merkator one everything was pointing at before, with exploration of Harebourg's character when all he does is essentially serving as the freeze ray gun of a naruto catman.

Making Harebourg himself killed both the purpose of making Frigost a time warp and creating Harebourg's entourage (though it's not like they matter much now that you can call a random background dude Nileza and call it a day and we've heard already that it's the best we can hope for). But I already said enough on this topic.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813516  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté Yesterday - 15:50:35 | #5

Quote (Aacher @ 22 December 2014 15:42) *

But I know you're happy to ignore any facts that don't support your argument at the time.

That's pretty much what you do all the time too. You've ignored the obvious evidence regarding Srams in favor of some never seen miracles a few minutes ago, for instance...

As for your tumblr posts about Harebourg, as of late half of them are either trying to prove any bullshit development is actually the Most Amazing Thing Ever and Fits Together With It All So Well (even though we KNOW that what we're getting isn't what was initially planned, and the lack of coherence makes it really obvious) and repeating the same basic facts over and over while ignoring certain other facts which have surfaced in the meanwhile.

also, Amalia's skin tone is about as ambigous as Idris Elba's

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813502  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté Yesterday - 15:34:47 | #6
Amalia isn't white as far as I know so he wouldn't be the first significant non-white character. He would, however, be the first non-white character who isn't shown as a member of a ~~tribal~~ culture of Mystical Noble Savage Forest People (the bad guy status was a more complicated issue before the ovas as far as I remember too, there were, uh, 3 possible ways to approach this in Dofus and only one of them was the black and white approach you took... Also, most people living in polar climate irl are more akin to native Americans than Europeans, so if you want a "realistic" Harebourg based on the fact that Frigost is a cold place, make him Inuit), unless we count the fact that some Rogues and some Foggers look a bit hispanic and there was a piece of official art showing a Feca in middle-eastern clothes.

I'd say that comparing non-white people to furries and blue dragon things isn't exactly the best wording, too (didn't know black people are as odd as humanoid cats...), but that's another matter.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813492  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté Yesterday - 12:26:14 | #7
He said it's not Harebourg and it was a generic Xelor picture used as placeholder in the tcg, not that the image isn't canon. It was featured in the newest artbook and as such remains canon.

Also, he didn't say Harebourg's skin is white either, he said it's BLUE. If you assume every fictional character is white when they have no visible skin/an abstract skin tone, I'm afraid you miiiiiiiiiight be a tiny bit racist. In addition to this, the described skin condition fits what we know about Inca mummies.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813434  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté Yesterday - 12:11:15 | #8
There's exactly one instance of an unaltered Xelor shown without bandages covering everything - that one I've posted on prievous page, save for the shitty ova which shall not be taken into account, and what shows up under the bandages doesn't quite fit with your vision. There are like 10 classes which are generic human/elf things, if mummified corpses aren't your things, it's not like you can't pick something else instead.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813429  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté Yesterday - 11:35:51 | #9

Quote (Xander-is-Kander @ 22 December 2014 03:17) *

Quote (Major-Caligari @ 21 December 2014 22:24) *
The ice hat is merely a minor offense in comparision to that face

Xelors wear their bandages in DREADLOCKS in Wakfu. They use the EGYPTIAN method of mummification (with a slightly hint of the Incas if we go by what Ntamak said about Harebourg's in-game design). Suddenly... WHITE DUDE. And, like, the most whitebread white dude one could think of.
Well, we've known Nox is also a white, blonde, dude in the his back story episode, and in a flashback i think. So Harebourg isn't the first pastey Xelor we've seen in the cartoon.
Nox wasn't a full-blown Xelor but merely a guy who at the age of 30-something decided he'll try to get as Xelor as one can get without actually being one. Also the only time we've seen him without bandages and armor is in the special designs from which may or may not be canon considering how his wife looks completely different in season 1. Iirc the closest thing to actually seeing how he looks like was the puppet in one of the last episodes?

Quote (TommyTrouble @ 22 December 2014 05:47) *

(And there is no reason to suspect Xelors are default mummies under the bandages. Those bandages are there to prevent mummification and other tissue damage, after all. )
There's no reason to suspect they're anything but mummified corpses underneath other than "weeeeh I can't masturbate to that"

This post has been edited by Major-Caligari - December 22, 2014, 12:36:27.
Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813418  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté Yesterday - 00:35:01 | #10
Female Srams in their Dofus form have no background support, as far as the lore goes, believing in Sram = gradually turning into a skeleton and eventually growing extra limbs. So Srams are skeletons to the same degree as Enutrofs are old people. It's just pointless sexist fanservice.

I didn't say that imagining Frigost as Scandinavian is racist, I did say it's not exactly close to which events in European history the island's background resembles though, what I called racist is assuming that when a character has no set canon race, they're white no matter what any other evidence says, which is what Ankama did with Xelors in the ova despite basing the class imagery largely on non-white cultures (and, especially in Dofus, stock wizard archetype) and having no classes apart from Sadidas and Rogues set as non-white) by default.

For all we knew before the ovas, which are something everyone shall ignore if they are capable of critical analysis of a given piece of media, it'd probably make more sense to assume Harebourg is a glowing blue sphere holding clothes in humanoid shape with sheer willpower than to think he's a tall (who the fuck did this, even his WAKFU sprite is short, not just the Dofus one: linky) white dude showing no trace of any Xelor practises at all. Sure, you can change this with some pointless deus ex machina for the sake of HTE EPKZ that Tot seems to be constantly babbling about, but what's the point? Retcons aren't bad, as long as you get rid of awful ideas and bad writing and replace them with good ones (thus Bworker manga and Wild Estate quest were a great advancement, giving Bworks something like actual culture and personality rather than portraying them as mindless exandable evil grunts), not the other way around.

This post has been edited by Major-Caligari - December 22, 2014, 00:50:25.
Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813201  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté Yesterday - 00:09:48 | #11
What's the deal with people in this thread acting like I'm incapacitated? Like, dude, I know I sometimes tend to word things poorly (loan translations, for the most part, natural aftermath of not being a native speaker) but I can guarantee I can check myself what "devil's adocate" means

Skeletons are dead by definition too unless treated as a part of the body in which case they're underneath skin, nerves et cetera, yet Srams and Chafers are also living, breating characters in the World of 12, with visible skulls and all. Not quite seeing how Xelors can't be mummies to the full extent and living characters at once in a fictional universe where undead clearly exist and at least one other widely accepted religion changes you into one.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813187  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté December 21, 2014, 23:54:32 | #12
If we could just say "it's a fictional world" there would never be a point in critisizing a piece of media for its racism or sexism... (Ankama has a problem with both)

It's not a cardinal sin to have a different opinions from me, no. But don't expect me to look joyful when I hear something that's painfully unrelated to the info we have and is entirely based on the fact that "Frigost is cold lel". Which is more or less the vibe your posts on the topic are giving me as of late.

Fishing industry isn't as big as agriculture on Frigost, the volcano you think of is on Iceland, and Russia has a plenty of them too. We're supposed to uphold some standards in this thread to tell it apart from tumblr and /co/ where everything goes, so if we're going to start debating which irl place Frigost represents, don't expect me to be any less critical of this than I'd be of any other theories that make no sense (hey, who remembers "cawwot dofus multimen"? Or Doctor Who edgy Xelor bullshit? Or BIG TREE? Those were my faves. I think).

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813182  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté December 21, 2014, 23:37:19 | #13
Frigost's history reflects imperial Russia under Peter the Great's rule more than Scandinavia, if anything... Agricultural reform + technological progress orchestered by a single ruler to surpass estabilished powers? Sounds familiar?

At the same time the indigenous people of Frigost aren't even humans in the first place - it's clearly stated those are the whale-worshipping Inuits (who for some reason are their own species in the Ankama world rather than a human ethnicity as far as the few facts about them seem to suggest...) and goblins on Sakai. Dunno how the Scandinavian factor impacts this, I guess you could see the goblins as Scandinavian if you really want. Though they're grey-ish and blue, not pale.

Also, are we going to follow this trail to the full extent? So why not Inuit Harebourg? Or Ainu Harebourg? Or Sami Harebourg? All of those also live in cold places which is your reasoning behind the Scandinavian headcanon.

This post has been edited by Major-Caligari - December 21, 2014, 23:39:00.
Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813178  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté December 21, 2014, 23:18:14 | #14
Dreadlocks =/= black/brown, but at the same time CULTURAL SIGNIFICANCE of dreadlocks is closely tied only to non-white cultures, as far as I know, unless you really want to count a theory about Spartans for some reason.

Also, Xelors do become mummies under the bandages, as far as we know. Time magic is the salt substitue here...

In addition to this: not really enthusiastic about the "devil's advocate" in this context. Oh no, must find proof that non-white people actually can't exist in this setting! Must defend dumbass redesign!

Also, maybe it's good time to bring back a CANON (it's in the anniversary artbook now, though no longer labeled as Harebourg - apparently it was an inpromptu decision solely for the tcg) illustration showing a Xelor with pitch black skin showing up underneath the bandages...

there's literally not even a single reason to not be critical towards the ova design and it's definitely no time for your devil's advocate fun. Unless you for some reason think we should assume every fictional character with no face shown is white for some reason, in which case please continue to make me able to just decide your opinion shouldn't matter at all.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813173  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté December 21, 2014, 22:24:18 | #15
The ice hat is merely a minor offense in comparision to that face

Xelors wear their bandages in DREADLOCKS in Wakfu. They use the EGYPTIAN method of mummification (with a slightly hint of the Incas if we go by what Ntamak said about Harebourg's in-game design). Suddenly... WHITE DUDE. And, like, the most whitebread white dude one could think of.

Since I'm 99% sure you'll say "but this is a religion, not ethnicity", Acher: faith in this setting can change people into cats and skeletons or make them blue. I don't see a single reason why it theoretically couldn't make their skin darker to reflect the cultures the design of the class in mention references. Because no culture which dabbled in what we think of when we say "mummification" was white.

Even if anyone would bring up the bog bodies argument: the process changed the corpse's skin to a dark shade of green or black. Even this way it makes no sense for Harebourg to be white unless he was an albino. As far as I know, albinism is sort of out of picture when the eyes are blue.

The rest is just bland (like, what is this, did they forgot fo draw the details or something?) and collides with the game. Grand failure on Ankama's side. Probably a punishment of all instances of Eliatrope ocs and people calling the classes "races".

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813148  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté December 21, 2014, 15:51:41 | #16
The only person who can stop those spambots is master Zhao. We need him back, as only his nonsensical threads asking for "milionaire-servern" and such can half the Baba Ji flood.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #813055  Replies : 2  Views : 134
posté December 20, 2014, 22:20:45 | #17

Quote (MiniMikeh @ 20 December 2014 22:13) *

I'm not going to show a single trace of enthusiasm for the upcoming Frigost thing now

They fucked up beyond comprehension and not even pretend they'll fix it up at this point, there's no hope anymore, Ankama can not be trusted no matter who speaks on their behalf

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #812667  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109
posté December 19, 2014, 23:03:51 | #18
Is the first mob family called Xelots as a nod to the helot population of ancient Greece or is this some reference I'm not getting? In theory it'd make sense considering how helots were de facto second class citizens doing most of the menial work, I guess...

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #812150  Replies : 1562  Views : 55109