Statistics
759 Posts (1.65 per day)
Most active in : General Discussion
posté Today - 10:51:57 | #1

Quote (Hudski @ 02 October 2014 01:01) *

Quote (Major-Caligari @ 02 October 2014 00:05) *

Quote (Hudski @ 01 October 2014 23:41) *

Quote (Major-Caligari @ 01 October 2014 20:31) *
You're missing the most obvious thing. Eliatrope Dofus aren't primordial dofus, but another set altogether.

So there are two ebony dofus?

Ebony primordial (Grogalorasalar's) and ebony Eliatrope (Grugaloragran's and Chibi's), yes... They don't have too much to do with each other, and, frankly, I didn't expect anyone outside of /co/ to make such a bizarre mistake as confusing both sets, especially since the plot of the ovas (and the Wakfu manga) heavily relies on reminding the viewer that there are two sets of Dofus, not counting garbage like cawwot or calyptus.

I haven't read the french manga, nor have I watched the thing that isn't actually out yet (shockingly), but thanks for the condescension either way. I truly feel like I can ask questions about the lore in a welcoming space such as this and will undoubtedly continue to ask questions in future rather than avoid the thread altogether from this point on.

Thank you Nelson for the comparison shots.
1. You're the last person who should complain about me being condescending towards them, considering that one time when you wanted to prove me wrong by screaming that you're level 200 in Dofus and providing no other evidence. I have a pretty good memory, mind you.

2. Another peron acts like I'll be upset because you won't ask any moee questions. The last thing this thread needs are more people who ask about stuff they can check themselves with a single click and/or spread misinformation. Notice that there's a difference between this category and newbies seeking advice, I didn't bash that fella who asked about Incarnates one or two pages ago...

Now that this is sorted out... I have no idea what the spider man can be, all I've noticed is that he has the same body type as Chad (even the hairdo is a bit similar), and the exactly same color scheme as Grufon. I wouldn't mind if Grimack was right and it was a new sidekick, though - at the same time it's hard to see how he'd fit thematically with any of the upcoming dimensions... Srambad would be the closest thing with the everpresent spider symbolism, though Wakfu doesn't seem to get sidekicks as closely related to dimensions as Dofus.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #783435  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté Today - 00:05:12 | #2

Quote (Hudski @ 01 October 2014 23:41) *

Quote (Major-Caligari @ 01 October 2014 20:31) *
You're missing the most obvious thing. Eliatrope Dofus aren't primordial dofus, but another set altogether.

So there are two ebony dofus?

Ebony primordial (Grogalorasalar's) and ebony Eliatrope (Grugaloragran's and Chibi's), yes... They don't have too much to do with each other, and, frankly, I didn't expect anyone outside of /co/ to make such a bizarre mistake as confusing both sets, especially since the plot of the ovas (and the Wakfu manga) heavily relies on reminding the viewer that there are two sets of Dofus, not counting garbage like cawwot or calyptus.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #783285  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté Yesterday - 20:50:13 | #3
Not one of those dragons, but the stasis dragon. Both the stasis dragon and the Eliatrope godess aren't even corporeal, they're forces present during the creation of the universe. Just about as much of actual people as gravity; confirmed by RyF a year ago during the stream:

"So, there is a Wakfu Dragon and a Stasis Dragon?
RyF: Actually it’s the Wakfu Goddess and the Stasis Dragon. They’re complementary which is why you always have a baby and a dragon in an Eliatrope Dofus. That’s how they were created, by the fusion of the Stasis Dragon and the Wakfu Goddess."

"About the relation between the Dragon and the Goddess…
RyF: Actually, the Dragon and the Goddess are just representations of energies. They’re not really a person or a physical being."

(source)

So they have little to do with Osamodas's flying circus...

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #783227  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté Yesterday - 20:31:56 | #4

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #783219  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté Yesterday - 20:08:07 | #5
"Chronomages", I'd say.

Yeah, I remember that tidbit from the manga, though I'd assume that it might be caused by something that happened later, not right after Harebourg was born.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #783213  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté Yesterday - 17:39:27 | #6
All we know about Harebourg's origin is that his family lived on Frigost before and thus he inherited the title and county (iirc RyF said so a few months ago?) and there's that vague hint that his "rebellious" period lasted a century in some item's description, if my memory serves me well. ;s I wouldn't be sure if his early years were "special" in any way, for now, maybe the Ogrest manga will provide some answers later.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #783150  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté Yesterday - 17:00:10 | #7
They cover a different part of the timeline than the game, so they don't impact my sphere of interests, really. Unless RyF will explicitly state that he has to redo something in the game to match the ovas, I don't really care about them at all. (as much as I don't care about the plot due to it low quality, I have to admit the animation style is much nicer than in seasons 1 and 2. More cartoony and... idk, softer? Either way, better.)

To change the topic since let's face it, ova discussion isn't constructive...
One of Ankama's artists posted this on his blog (check it out, there's a plenty of great including some of our favorites)... We've seen those pictures of Chad and Some Maitre Sera who-still-needs-an-English-name, but who's that fuzzy critter who looks a bit similar to Grufon?

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #783134  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté Yesterday - 15:47:55 | #8
Bear in mind that I said "pick" because there are two versions of the same event and at the same time both are supposed to be legends in-universe. The commentary is vital to the meaning of the phrase in this context.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #783116  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté Yesterday - 15:00:32 | #9

Quote (Asthis @ 01 October 2014 14:34) *
I dislike how much Goultard's story contradicts in various media, but I consider the Dofus manga and Dofus game to be canon for the most part. The OVAs I consider the least canon because of all the contradictions.

I also prefer how Goultard looks in the manga than in the Wakfu cartoon. ;o
Considering how the Goultard ova is basically a retelling of one of the manga's chapters, I think it's safe to assume that you can pick the version you prefer. The official explanation Nelson posted two or so pages before is that both are supposed to function as legends about him in-universe, iirc. I agree on Goultard's design, though.

I personally like Katar's design in the anime more than his manga incarnation, but on the other hand manga provides me with an amazing interpretation of Brakmar (closer to the games than the Wakfu anime ;d) and fantastic take on vampires, so in most cases I prefer to use it as reference. I sort of like Djaul's wingless form more, too. Though on the other hand due to the nature of period covered in the manga, it's much easier to pick freely what you prefer as your canon.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #783101  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté Yesterday - 13:57:02 | #10
Eh, I don't mind the fact that there's a load of characters from all over the franchise in the ovas. That alone is not a problem. The fact that the entire thing deviates from not just estabilished canon, but simply any standard of writing (let's face it, it's like a 12-year-old's fanfiction, technically speaking) is a problem, though. It's not the matter of developing characters. Hope is great, sure, but let's face it, there was no place for hope pretty much since we got the summary back in May. RyF's recent more or less crypitc statements only make it more clear (imagine if RyF was in charge of the ovas instead, though).

I don't think there's a "standard" of how writing should like in all of Ankama's products, though, it's good to see that different writers have different styles - same goes for the artwork (thus all threads that basically sound like "new npcs aren't animu enough" are the most stupid thing to grace the forums as of late).

@Nelson, was he already alive back then? Unless we'd see the prievous Count/Countess/both and child/teenager Jacquemart... xD

@Grimack - Hour Demons didn't "request" anything, Xelor simply offered them a pact and they agreed, because apparently for a lot of shushus simply getting out of Shushutuft is a good enough goal on its own.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #783083  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté September 30, 2014, 14:41:54 | #11
Oh damn. I almost forgot about this thread! It's about time t breathe new life into it, as I'm pretty much done with character bios and such, here's a compilation. Updates will become a tiny bit less frequent now that I'm starting law school, but there are some stories in progress right now, so it's not like I'll stop writing altogether.

Thread : Fan Fiction  Preview message : #782709  Replies : 5  Views : 367
posté September 29, 2014, 23:21:07 | #12
They're apparently "Altdemons" in English. ;s I don't think it's a music reference, so what can it mean? Altitude?

Also, on a side note, since we're approaching the ova screening time: how are you guys going to deal with the fact that they'll probably contradict most of estabilished canon and will confirm that Yugo suffers from Ash Ketchum syndrome? ;D Let's discuss it in a civil way this time. Share your expectations, if you have any, too.

Mine is very simple: since the entire thing works with the power of plot holes, I'm expecting Oto Mustam and Hyrkul to show up in the end and negate the existence of the entire thing with the power of high-five. Still makes more sense than soloing Ogrest or tall Harebourg.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #782443  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté September 27, 2014, 13:34:13 | #13
I wonder if we'll get some tidbits on the topic of hour demons in Wakfu as well once Xelorium will be released - the designs for Arena/Slage were pretty amazing for the most part, but we don't even know too much about the personality and functions of most of the individual demons... While XII wasn't my fave, it's nice to see him acknowledged. Would be nice if we knew which of his designs is canon, though - the fairly boring TCG one (buff elf dude) or the one from the concept art (shadowy Sol Invictus - I like to think that the formless mass showing around his mask is the actual XII and the rest is just an armor giving him a vaguely human appearence xD).

It actually makes a lot of sense that the Hordemons/Altdemons turned out to be minor servants of the Hour Demons - we did see quite a lot of formless demonic creatures in some of the promotional Arena artwork alongside those who run the show, and the cartoony oni designs aren't actually all that bad.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #781502  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté September 27, 2014, 01:13:35 | #14
I'm trying to translate this, but the demon is replacing some letters with "f" seemingly at random, so it's hard to me... ;s

Isn't XII this guy below, though? Midnight should be XXIV, if anything Personally I'd also expect to reference to her rather than this fella who never appeared outside of concept artwork as far as I know... Weird.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #781335  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté September 26, 2014, 18:02:07 | #15
Writing advice: making your oc a relative of an estabilished character is the worst thing you can do. Maybe apart from making them bleed rainbows.

Thread : Politics  Preview message : #781210  Replies : 3  Views : 206
posté September 26, 2014, 16:30:00 | #16
It comes as no surprise that you couldn't find much, the dimension was released barely 3 days ago, and the quests probably take a while, if Srambad is anything to go by... All we know about the winged Voyagers is that they're not native to Xelorium (so no, you can't use them as an argument that Voyagers are an aspect of Xelor) - the main clue is this article.

Luckily, there's a plenty of screenshots from the quests on this French site - bear in mind that there's no transcription provided, so unless you know French, you'll have to retype it all by your own into an online translator or something. If my poor eyes and even worse French skills are working correctly, both the origin of the Fugitives (winged Voyagers) and Hordemons (the... uh, One Piece oni critters) are here. Have fun.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #781174  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté September 26, 2014, 16:08:20 | #17
The game should be balanced around pvm, not pvp, thus it's not a problem. Trying to make pvp more than it should be is, though.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #781162  Replies : 10  Views : 405
posté September 26, 2014, 13:49:46 | #18

Quote (KiwiTang @ 26 September 2014 12:34) *

Quote (GrimackReapum @ 26 September 2014 07:17) *
Sorry to drag this back up, but seemed to have missed this before: how do we know all Goblins are dead? I would love to use them in some fanfic but wasn't sure about their survival into the Wakfu era...
Quick correction - Major meant that the Sakai goblins are no longer around, having perished in Ogrest's chaos (I believe it was one of the clawbot dyes referencing this, can't remember if the dye was named after Sakai but I think it was). I'm certain that the regular goblins are still kicking around, though, so you can go nuts with them.
It was Clawfrost Dye.

While this description makes it pretty clear that the Sakai tribes of goblins are extinct (unless some goblins from the mines left them before Chaos), goblins as a species are definitely still around, as they were a quite widespread species in Dofus, and we have yet to see a non-endemic sentient species completely perish during the Chaos. So there's not a single reason to not use them in fanfiction. Also, it's not unlikely that different goblin settlements were contacting each other, so in theory there's even a plenty of possibilities if you want to write about Sakai goblins specifically. When it comes to gathering information about them, the prime sources are someof the Dofus Frigost side quests Nelson linked to a few weeks ago; the descriptions of goblin drops in the Dofus wiki are also worth checking out (this one is my personal favorite). There's actually a plenty of info if you'll dig deep enough, regardless of what certain not very trustworthy sources may claim.

On a slightly related note: I'm fairly certain that we'll see goblins in-game when (though "if" is probably a better word after recent announcements...) the Bworde will be implemented - bworks and goblins have a long history of alliances with each other (and Brakmar), so it's hard to imagine the center of the Bwork world without one or two goblin mobs running around...

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #781077  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté September 25, 2014, 20:29:10 | #19
I'm not sure when it was added, probably during the Astrub revamp. It's a short (30 seconds or so) animation showing a heavily stylised landscape with Ogrest and the Dofus, as well as the commentary I've mentioned above; I didn't notice it before, because it only shows up when you create a new character...

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #780689  Replies : 1010  Views : 32534
posté September 25, 2014, 17:16:28 | #20

Quote (CloudyMind @ 25 September 2014 15:30) *
They can't be messing around now that they are on steam. It's ridiculous that you could lose something you bought with real money. Don't give them much credit for it. It should have been like this from the start and i'm sure they were forced into doing that.
Absurd? Maybe. Illegal? Nope. French law doesn't have anything against this. Steam opereates on USA law instead, that's the reason behind the chance.

The problem with ogrines was caused by adding the way to buy them with Dofus kamas, really, at least in my opinion. This made the entire issues so complicated on legal level. They probably should get rid of this option altogether, so that everything will be clear, now that the second part of the issue is solved.

Thread : General Discussion  Preview message : #780607  Replies : 23  Views : 793