As some have pointed out, we are making this change in order to put their obtaining in favour of casual players. We believe this system will answer well to this issue, and we will adjust it if necessary.
You have also pointed out that tokens were supposed to smooth the randomness by allowing a minimal gain for each dungeon. They will continue to smooth it: it still offers you a minimal gain that is not related to RNG, except that this one will be daily / weekly instead of being at the end of each dungeon.
I would like to talk about numbers and our intentions for the net, to reassure you. Let's start with the numbers (note: following values are for players with an active Booster Pack):
* Daily dungeon quest: 20 tokens
* Weekly dungeon quest (usually 4 dungeons): 80 tokens
* Daily quest "10 seeds": 2 tokens, up to 8 daily tokens (average of 4 families)
* Daily quest "10 resources": 4 tokens, up to 16 daily tokens (average of 4 families). (We will increase the value compared to the current Beta version.)
* Main Quests: 60 tokens
* Mercenary Quests depends on the difficulty: 4 tokens for an easy one, 8 tokens for those involving fights or difficult ones, or involving mini-games, 20 tokens for those asking to make a dungeon. Let's say ~40 tokens in total.
* Dungeon Achievements: 10 tokens each. A total of 40 tokens if you make them all.
In the future, there will also be:
* Dungeon Stasis Achievements: a lot of tokens when you succeed in 21-30, 31-40 and 41-50 for the first time.
* Environmental Quest Achievements: 20 tokens per family, 40 tokens for all interaction quests, 200 tokens for completing all quests.
* Probably new achievements if we found them interesting and relevant.
To make a short summary, different ways of obtaining tokens divided in two main categories:
* One-Shot activities: you quickly get 150 to 200 tokens when you enter the level range.
* If you play only two days a week and applying yourself, you get up to 160 tokens.
* If you play every day of the week to be as profitable as possible, you get up to 380 tokens.
You can also, in addition, go through alternatives such as Modulox tokens to increase this total.
On the other hand, here are the costs we apply in exchange machine:
* A common item (white): 20 tokens
* A rare item (green): 50 tokens
* A mythical item (orange): 160 tokens
* A legendary item (yellow): 300 tokens
* An epic item (pink): 500 tokens
* A relic fragment: 10 tokens.
But what's new — which is not effective in Beta yet — is that the obtained item will no longer be linked. Since the new obtaining system is now fairly healthy and balanced, we no longer have any reason to keep them linked. (Note that already owned item will remain linked.)
Some of the costs listed previously are temporary. In the long term, we wish to remove almost all legendary items from the loot, and therefore from the exchange machine. Legendary items will be obtained mainly by upgrading mythical items through craft, which will be obtained in various way — including the upgrading of rare items.
This solution will reduce the frustration you know today with the low loot rates of legendary items, and will offer a much smoother progression curve. There will still be a lot of items obtainable through loot — because the pleasure of loot should not be removed! — but at more accessible loot rates. And it will allow to make viable different aspects of the game with different or mixed obtaining.
As an example, recipes will often contain "Souper-Glou" (a generic resource you will get by doing Environmental Quests, after their rework) + common resources of the family or the boss (note that we will harmonize boss resources to a 10% loot rate as soon as possible — and which is also increased by Stasis difficulty), harvesting resources in order to give interest to jobs or trade, or even runic powders (which we may rename as a generic component derived from items recycling). Since making items involves craftsmen, and therefore exchanges between players, we do not implement the Secured Craft fortuitously.
What I want to show you here is that everything is linked — except the items you will get, if you followed! — and that we are trying to put in place a model that makes all activities viable.
These different methods of obtaining items will encourage you to vary your activities and will not force you any more to farm the same dungeon again and again. Of course, it will be always possible to do the same dungeon, because it is also pleasant to make content that you master or that you appreciate, and it will stay profitable. Actually, it will stay the main method — and the fastest — to obtain the items you want. But it will no longer be the only option, even when you hate this dungeon or when you couldn't even close your eyes without seeing it.
I hope to have enlightened you on our intentions and the way we see things!